The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It's an interesting comparison and one that Allardyce often made about himself. Dyche is a pragmatic manager but his teams don't tend to produce beautiful football. Potter's team, well Brighton on the basis that I didn't see his previous clubs, did play attractive, possession based football. When you watch international football I think Potter's style would suit. Anyway, Sean is busy right now 😄

The separate argument is, do we need to stay with an English manager? Personally I prefer it.
In an ideal world yes.
But I’d take anyone (within reason) if it meant that we won something.
With the midfield & attack we’ve got how can we look SO bad?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It's an interesting comparison and one that Allardyce often made about himself. Dyche is a pragmatic manager but his teams don't tend to produce beautiful football. Potter's team, well Brighton on the basis that I didn't see his previous clubs, did play attractive, possession based football. When you watch international football I think Potter's style would suit. Anyway, Sean is busy right now 😄

The separate argument is, do we need to stay with an English manager? Personally I prefer it.

It should always be the best person for job regardless of their nationality

There isn’t many top English managers and hasn’t been one for years

The last English manager at the top level that succeeded was prob Venables and it’s not surprising that he was manager of the last England team that actually performed to a high level in a tournament

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Just looking at the England squad and lack of depth in midfield, is it time for Stones to play the holding role and one of the CB’s on the bench to step up to the plate?

Rice , Bellingham , Mainoo , Gallagher and Wharton are in the squad

If he doesn’t want to put Bellingham next to Rice then it’s Mainoo , or Wharton - both very talented

Stones there is just another square peg

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

If he doesn’t want to put Bellingham next to Rice then it’s Mainoo , or Wharton - both very talented

I recall Stones slipping comfortably into the holding role in the past, great feet and good awareness. I don’t know enough about the other players to have an opinion, that’s my excuse anyway 🤣

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I recall Stones slipping comfortably into the holding role in the past, great feet and good awareness. I don’t know enough about the other players to have an opinion, that’s my excuse anyway 🤣

He plays that same inverted role for City as TAA does for Liverpool just a little bit different when they step in there

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Agreed,I’d definitely play Mainoo over Trent in midfield.
Trent is good at free kicks & hits the odd good long ball,but doesn’t offer much more imo.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Southgate should be sacked after his comments tonight putting the issue in midfield down to us not having Henderson or Philips in the squad!!!

Heres an idea Gareth, if we haven't in your opinion got 2 'pivots' then change the system to suit the players, not the other way round!!!
I can’t believe he mentioned not having a Phillips as to why we played so 💩

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southgate should be sacked after his comments tonight putting the issue in midfield down to us not having Henderson or Philips in the squad!!!

Heres an idea Gareth, if we haven't in your opinion got 2 'pivots' then change the system to suit the players, not the other way round!!!

Is he suggesting that it wasn't his decision not to have Henderson or Phillips in the squad? I thought that the manager was the one that picked the players that went to the tournament.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just looking at the England squad and lack of depth in midfield, is it time for Stones to play the holding role and one of the CB’s on the bench to step up to the plate?
Problem there is taking far and away our best centre back out of the defence!

I think Jude is intelligent enough to play alongside Rice without bombing forward constantly if that is what Southgate is worried about. He plays number 10 for Real, sure, but they didn't have a decent striker all year. He's perfectly capable of playing a box-to-box role. Foden will have space to play at number 10, and Gordon would provide a bit of width on the left. I'm sure Southgate has no intention of starting Gordon though since he's not even given him a minute on the pitch. Even though he's the only left winger in the squad.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Is he suggesting that it wasn't his decision not to have Henderson or Phillips in the squad? I thought that the manager was the one that picked the players that went to the tournament.
Wouldn’t be surprised,he’s a yes man.
But if he really believes Phillips or Henderson should be in the squad then he’s worse than I thought.

D

Deleted member 29109

How many pages of meltdown after drawing a game against a decent team? Perspective people, perspective.

Scotland won the tournament 1-1 yesterday and are still 3rd in their group. England are top and will likely move on.

Relax and enjoy the sun. It’s not worth getting angry about a game 😂