The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many pages of meltdown after drawing a game against a decent team? Perspective people, perspective.

Scotland won the tournament 1-1 yesterday and are still 3rd in their group. England are top and will likely move on.

Relax and enjoy the sun. It’s not worth getting angry about a game 😂
It is quite important to top the group though in my opinion. Another draw and that could be in jeopardy.

4LEX

Visit site
Huge, huge mistake to give this clown another tournament.

It's hard to really overstate the mess he's making of the current side and it's clear he hasn't got a clue on what to do to fix it.

We look a good bet to win the group but this is 4/5 poor games in a row now with a disjointed and unbalanced side. Denmark aren't a good side, they're bang average these days. The second we face a really top side we will get well beaten unless things change.

No subs at half time was unbelievable and then the ones he did make were the wrong ones.

Rice is being asked to do way too much, just put Mainoo next to him and let those two protect the defence and Rice can move forward when needed and Mainoo can sit deeper. That is a solid base to the midfield, rather than stick a right back there who barely touched the ball or did anything positive tonight.

We need to bring in Mainoo and Gordon, it will balance the side and give us width and pace from the latter.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

With the talent he’s got to work with & he comes out with this 🤦‍♂️wow!

Remember the last world cup when Bellingham and rice looked so good together, people thought Phillips wouldn't get another game .. loads of diff players in the 10 (mount for example)

Why we insist on pushing Bellingham forward and playing lesser players in there is mental

Swango1980

Visit site
As England won the 1st game, I could see him picking same line up for 2nd. Give the same players a chance to improve on their performance, and showing confidence in his 1st team selection of 1st game.

However, last night must have been more evidence he has got it wrong. So, it'll be interesting who he starts against Slovenia. Because he surely can't play the same 11 now?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m more confused at why when TAA was replaced England didn’t go on to win the game 🤷‍♂️ - the sooner TAA is away from England the better , he shouldn’t be anywhere near the midfield

The team is full of problems , multiple square pegs in round holes , no shape , no structure

A lot of the issues start with the front 3 and their inability to press , then add in no width on the left , Kane dropping deep , rice and whoever is next to him being 2 extra CB’s , Gallagher coming on and charging around like a headless chicken

Look at their goal - who gave the ball away in the left back spot - Kane , why was he there in the first place , look at the chance for Hjoberg a gift from Walker , how many times did Rice give the ball away

Think Guehi played well but even he had to use his pace to rectify his mistake , Watkins came on and showed what could happen when playing on the shoulder

England have qualified for the next round but a decent team will smash them if they continue to play the tactics they are doing right now

Unfortunately England have got a manager who hasn’t got the guts or the ability to change things
That’s just about sums it up

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Agreed,I’d definitely play Mainoo over Trent in midfield.
Trent is good at free kicks & hits the odd good long ball,but doesn’t offer much more imo.

TAA looks like a square peg in a round hole. It was an experiment to play him there, the manager admitted as much, and it hasn’t worked. Southgate now needs to admit he got it wrong and make changes to at least add some balance to a shockingly unbalanced midfield.

I find his comments regarding Phillips depressing, but sadly predictable. He must have known for some time Phillips would not be going to these Euros, and it was his own decision not to take Henderson. To fail so badly to plan, to openly admit experimenting going into the group games and to then bemoan not having those players available to him just shows what a poor manager Southgate is.

Any doubts should have been overcome and wrinkles ironed out before a ball was even kicked in the tournament and yet here we are, going into the decisive third game, having no confidence, no momentum and, frankly, no clue.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TAA looks like a square peg in a round hole. It was an experiment to play him there, the manager admitted as much, and it hasn’t worked. Southgate now needs to admit he got it wrong and make changes to at least add some balance to a shockingly unbalanced midfield.

I find his comments regarding Phillips depressing, but sadly predictable. He must have known for some time Phillips would not be going to these Euros, and it was his own decision not to take Henderson. To fail so badly to plan, to openly admit experimenting going into the group games and to then bemoan not having those players available to him just shows what a poor manager Southgate is.

Any doubts should have been overcome and wrinkles ironed out before a ball was even kicked in the tournament and yet here we are, going into the decisive third game, having no confidence, no momentum and, frankly, no clue.

For me it's simple, watching Bellingham shows how much he loves getting stuck in and Involved. Playing him In a 10 wastes that part of his game. Where as foden on the left wastes his ability on the ball

Just seems like the Gerrard era all over again where he was shunted left to get scholes and lampard in the middle . Or when him and lampard just didn't work together.

Time to push Bellingham next to rice and bring on eze or Gordon on that left

PaulMdj

Visit site

I sort of agree about ironing out the wrinkles, but he actually couldn’t, why?

Well if you look back he only had 2 friendlies prior to the comp, the City and Arsenal players missed the first one and Bellingham missed both, so our biggest issue, the midfield, he messed about with.

People are saying Mainoo should play or Gordon, yet yesterday he brings Gallagher and Eze on, therefore that says to me Mainoo and Gordon are not his first choice replacements.

He’s going back to form and trying to stick to as close to his first XI as possible.😩

I’ll ignore/support him during the tournament as we’re stuck with him, but even against Slovenia I’m not sure we can expect him to make too many changes.

Personally I’d change 3 or 4 players

Shaw, if fit, if he isn’t big risk in the knockouts.

Mainoo, in

Gordon, if Shaw plays,

Watkins, up front with Kane

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Ghuei
Shaw
Rice
Mainoo
Bellingham
Gordon
Kane
Watkins

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

The TAA into midfield has been a discussion that Liverpool fans have been having for a while - imo he isn’t a midfielder and never will

He has spent 5 years winning everything being one of the best right backs in Europe - one of the worlds best managers plays him at right back , he tinkered a little bit by getting him to drift a little inside at times but he it still a right back

With the squad and the abilities they have there is no reason he can’t be right back for England - rice and stones are both good enough to be a cover for him when he goes forward

Even go to three at the back if they are that worried but it needs a brave manager to sort it

Pickford

TAA
Stones
Guehi
Walker or Shaw

Rice
Bellingham

Palmer/Gordon
Foden
Saka

Kane

Most of the players that excel week in week out in their best roles

It would be very fluid with it more as a three at the back - Walker , stones and Guehi

Then you allow Foden to get on the ball in the middle , Bellingham to support and you need to get Kane to stop dropping deep so often and if he can’t , Watkins is the man

PaulMdj

Visit site
The TAA into midfield has been a discussion that Liverpool fans have been having for a while - imo he isn’t a midfielder and never will

He has spent 5 years winning everything being one of the best right backs in Europe - one of the worlds best managers plays him at right back , he tinkered a little bit by getting him to drift a little inside at times but he it still a right back

With the squad and the abilities they have there is no reason he can’t be right back for England - rice and stones are both good enough to be a cover for him when he goes forward

Even go to three at the back if they are that worried but it needs a brave manager to sort it

Pickford

TAA
Stones
Guehi
Walker or Shaw

Rice
Bellingham

Palmer/Gordon
Foden
Saka

Kane

Most of the players that excel week in week out in their best roles

It would be very fluid with it more as a three at the back - Walker , stones and Guehi

Then you allow Foden to get on the ball in the middle , Bellingham to support and you need to get Kane to stop dropping deep so often and if he can’t , Watkins is the man
I rate TAA as one of the best pass’s of the ball, but Walker is a better defender, I’m not sure we should be moving Walker to accommodate TAA, unless we go 5 at the back and Walker plays inside TAA.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't believe he's ever been one of the best right backs in Europe and, no, I don't think he should be England's right back, either.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't believe he's ever been one of the best right backs in Europe and, no, I don't think he should be England's right back, either.
I would suggest Roberto Carlos thinks he is one of the best...however, if he doesn't up his defensive capabilities he will lose his club place to the Irish lad Connor Bradley, no question.