The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
After the last game some of us summed up the issues we felt existed and the weakness in certain players and the managaers ability to deliver (and we got some stick from the usual gang on here who generally seem to get it wrong on a regular basis ;)) and he has just confirmed that to all of us with this latest abject performance.

It's embarrasing that a forum member can say GS will screw around with subs on 67 minutes, well he brought the 3 on at 65, someone said he would bring on Gallagher when we needed more and different, and he did. The bloke is so predictable and weak it's a joke.

The fact 959% of the country can see what is wrong and he cannot is just madness, and to be fair if can see it but can't at least try and fix it, he really is the wrong man for the job.

I think 4 years ago with the squad he had he was at his peak based on the level of players we had, now the players have continued to evolve and get much better but GS is still the same old GS and he is not good enough for the level of players we have, they have out grown him in ability and unfortunately we are going to suffer in this tournament and will need to wait for the next one before we get another chance.
Finally you get it.👏👏👏😬

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What’s he ever done? Did well at Brighton we are told, 3 seasons finishing 16th, 17th & 9th, got the Chelsea job, and flopped.

Please tell me what in that shows he’s ready for England, apart from being English?
I'm not judging him on Chelsea, the club was barking when he was there and he never had a chance.

Brighton, he took a team on a low budget, continuously losing it's best players and got them playing progressive, attractive football. He got them promoted, kept them up, comfortably, and moved them up the league.

Not many English managers have actually won anything, you have to judge them by what you see rather than pure stats, not that I'm saying you stated that as a point.

If we go with another English manager then it's him or Howe and I can't see why Howe would leave Newcastle right now.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Yet he’s been manager for 8 years snd took us to every Major Tournament during that time.

It’s time for him to leave, but please! Gordon, Palmer and others have had 1 good season and he’s brought them straight in to the International set up, no other England Manager has brought young players through so quickly.
Whats the point of bringing them through if he is too conservative to bloody play them in a match that has consequence? Southgate is simply too scared of sticking his neck out and taking a risk.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Said after the final friendly that Southgate should be replaced prior to the Euros starting. I would support him going mid tournament, he is a completely inept manager and I would be surprised if he ever gets another management gig after this tournament.

The in game management, the negativity, and the team selections/subs are all so poor. Bowen over Palmer twice is so disrespectful it’s unreal.

Guehi a shining light, what a bloke.

1st bold - Southgate is a lower end PL/top end Championship level manager but no better than that. That's his maximum level and I'd be amazed if any club with ambitions to be more than that employed him. He's a Middlesboro, Norwich, Hull, Southampton type manager.

2nd bold - he's been one of our better players but even he made a couple of basic errors this evening (yes, he did well to recover from them).

Swango1980

Visit site
Well it is, but with 26 players in the squad that means that there are 26 factorial possible combinations of players that could make up the "best team". So that's 26 x 25 x 24 x 23 x 22 etc, which is 403291461126605635584000000 different combinations of players. As we've got a maximum of 5 more games in this tournament I'm not confident that Southgate will find the answer in that time.

At least after picking the same team for the first two games he's only got another 403291461126605635583999999 combinations to try.
How many of these combinations have 3 goalkeepers in the starting 11, zero defenders, etc. :D

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Said after the final friendly that Southgate should be replaced prior to the Euros starting. I would support him going mid tournament, he is a completely inept manager and I would be surprised if he ever gets another management gig after this tournament.

The in game management, the negativity, and the team selections/subs are all so poor. Bowen over Palmer twice is so disrespectful it’s unreal.

Your right. A player with his numbers and ability on the ball should be starting . Such a talented player is Bowen. Also because he isn't from the big boys he will run himself into the ground.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Whats the point of bringing them through if he is too conservative to bloody play them in a match that has consequence? Southgate is simply too scared of sticking his neck out and taking a risk.
Agreed.
Seems like he’s happy just sticking with “safe” & seeing how far it gets us.
And how can someone be so dull & boring? 😬

PaulMdj

Visit site
I'm not judging him on Chelsea, the club was barking when he was there and he never had a chance.

Brighton, he took a team on a low budget, continuously losing it's best players and got them playing progressive, attractive football. He got them promoted, kept them up, comfortably, and moved them up the league.

Not many English managers have actually won anything, you have to judge them by what you see rather than pure stats, not that I'm saying you stated that as a point.

If we go with another English manager then it's him or Howe and I can't see why Howe would leave Newcastle right now.
And there you go, he took over Brighton when they were a PL Club, never got them promoted, that was Chris Houghton, 3 seasons in charge, 1st season 15th, then 16th, ie backwards, then 9th.

Yes they played good football, but still not a decent record.

PaulMdj

Visit site
The point I was making was prior to this Comp he has stuck to his old guard for years, 99% of us (barring injuries) could of picked his starting XI.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

He will get bumped upstairs at the FA. He is a company man

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve just spent a lovely hour or so eating a fantastic meal overlooking the sea, and there were various nationalities sitting nearby, many speaking with those at adjacent tables about the football they had just watched in nearby bars.

I’ll say it as they appeared to see it. Sorry,
folks, but our near neighbours on the continent think the England football team is a joke.