The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If he isn’t going to play Trent as right back (which I don’t think he would), then Trent could be at home in place of Maddison.

Isn't Trent an option for RB because walker might have had to play CB because we can't seem to get CBs into the team until now and tripper has to help out at left back because we don't seem to want to call up a lb that's fit

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If he isn’t going to play Trent as right back (which I don’t think he would), then Trent could be at home in place of Maddison.

I'd support playing Trent as a right back as part of a back 5 and switching to a 5-3-1-1 or 5-3-2 formation, but not in a back 4. Have Trent a right back, Walker, Stones, Guehi in the middle and probably Shaw at left back. Would then have Rice, Bellingham, +1 in midfield with Foden and Kane ahead of them. Would have Trent and Shaw providing the width and could ask Walker to cover right back to make it a back 4 when we're attacking.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its always the stock answer about not being good enough defensively shows a negative attitude - always worried about defensive issues , its no issues with this England team when they sit so deep. Walker was just as poor today defensively.

Perfect example of the negative defensive attitude

And Bowen and Toney shouldn’t have gone - Grealish and Maddison in.

If Trent played for City or Utd you'd be slating him for the number of times he switches off defensively and gets caught out. Just because he plays for Liverpool you defend him.

1718908995875.jpeg

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If Trent played for City or Utd you'd be slating him for the number of times he switches off defensively and gets caught out. Just because he plays for Liverpool you defend him.

View attachment 53864
Copied and pasted from the BBC web...
"No player created more chances (3) or played moreline-breaking passes in the final third (5) for England against Denmark thanTrent Alexander-Arnold, despite him being subbed off in the 54th minute."

It would suggest if TAA created the most over the 54 mins he was on the pitch, the problems are much greater than he being on the field of play.
I agree his defensive accumen isn't as good as it should be, but then I would suggest at club he has a better pair of CB's than England field.

PaulMdj

Visit site
"No player created more chances (3) or played moreline-breaking passes in the final third (5) for England against Denmark thanTrent Alexander-Arnold, despite him being subbed off in the 54th minute."

It would suggest if TAA created the most over the 54 mins he was on the pitch, the problems are much greater than he being on the field of play.
I agree his defensive accumen isn't as good as it should be, but then I would suggest at club he has a better pair of CB's than England field.
It’s like all these shouts for Gordon! Why? We aren’t getting the ball to wide players now and he’s easily knocked off the ball.

Great player to come on with 30 mins to go when we are free flowing and attacking teams and 2 gosls clear.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Southgate brought a load of wide players, sacrificing Grealish and Maddison. I assumed he would be looking to exploit width by having dangerous, pacy wide forwards.

Then he just sticks Foden on left, who runs into number 10 position, where Kane and Bellingham like to be. Other wide players get a bit of time in second half, but very much a bit part role.

Teams can have bad games. But surely not having found a balance yet is unforgivable? He should surely have known that before tournament. I mean, he has good options up front, number 10, wide right, wide left, defensive mid. Surely he has multiple ways to find a good balance, and he is failing.
This is the root of Englands problems. Ave said for a bit, what is Englands style of play, what is there format, formation. If one player goes off and another comes on. The system is basically the same it’s just that say Eze offers something a bit different than Foden or Palmer. But the system stays the same. Problem is we don’t have one.
We have gone through qualification beating lesser teams through the ability of the players and not the ability of the system or manager. We have played friendly games where everyone knows the team picked would be nothing like the starting 11 in this tournament. Which begs the question why pick it. Players like Gordon and Palmer are busting a gut to get into that team and must be scratching there heads. This is a generation that is dying on its backside under Southgate.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I wasn't talking about his performance this evening, I was responding to LP saying that he was being played out of position and should be a right back where he's at his best. In my view he's not good enough to be played as a right back. You only have to look at the number of occasions that he gets caught out with a cross to the back post from the opposition right wing that leads to a goal. At times he looks like he's trying to remember his shopping list rather than concentrating on the player he should be marking.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It’s like all these shouts for Gordon! Why? We aren’t getting the ball to wide players now and he’s easily knocked off the ball.

Great player to come on with 30 mins to go when we are free flowing and attacking teams and 2 gosls clear.

The ball isn’t going to the wide players because they aren’t there especially on the left - no one is stretching them to enable someone to ping balls into them

Gordon stretches the team , drags the full back out wide to create the space that the likes of Bellingham or Foden can move into

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Some negativity in here tonight 😂😂
If Southgate would just change the formation and play players were they normally play it would be a start, they don’t need to play so defensively, John Stones is tremendous and can marshal the young lad beside him no problem.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

But if Foden plays alongside Bellingham with Gallagher behind or Rice ( more on him later) then Foden can feed Saka or Gordon. If Foden is out wide who is feeding him, Bellingham or Rice. I don’t think so. Talking of Rice. He has had a shocker. He makes Kalvin Phillips look world class. Southgate is making Rice, Foden, TAA look like Div one players.
I cannot think of one player that Southgate has improved.

PaulMdj

Visit site
This is the root of Englands problems. Ave said for a bit, what is Englands style of play, what is there format, formation. If one player goes off and another comes on. The system is basically the same it’s just that say Eze offers something a bit different than Foden or Palmer. But the system stays the same. Problem is we don’t have one.
We have gone through qualification beating lesser teams through the ability of the players and not the ability of the system or manager. We have played friendly games where everyone knows the team picked would be nothing like the starting 11 in this tournament. Which begs the question why pick it. Players like Gordon and Palmer are busting a gut to get into that team and must be scratching there heads. This is a generation that is dying on its backside under Southgate.
Yet he’s been manager for 8 years snd took us to every Major Tournament during that time.

It’s time for him to leave, but please! Gordon, Palmer and others have had 1 good season and he’s brought them straight in to the International set up, no other England Manager has brought young players through so quickly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would at least look to try and work to the players strengths , try and be more attacking

Howe I think would be a good choice imo
I don't think Howe would leave Newcastle at the moment. He might not get such a good club, backing, squad, set up etc. Those jobs don't come across too often, particularly for an English manager. Potter is free and available.

PaulMdj

Visit site
But if Foden plays alongside Bellingham with Gallagher behind or Rice ( more on him later) then Foden can feed Saka or Gordon. If Foden is out wide who is feeding him, Bellingham or Rice. I don’t think so. Talking of Rice. He has had a shocker. He makes Kalvin Phillips look world class. Southgate is making Rice, Foden, TAA look like Div one players.
I cannot think of one player that Southgate has improved.
Come on Tash, it’s been England’s problem for years, way before Southgate, we hype up these players then blame the manager, remember the “Golden Generation” they don’t lose the ability to pass to a team mate because Southgate is in charge!