The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Southgate brought a load of wide players, sacrificing Grealish and Maddison. I assumed he would be looking to exploit width by having dangerous, pacy wide forwards.

Then he just sticks Foden on left, who runs into number 10 position, where Kane and Bellingham like to be. Other wide players get a bit of time in second half, but very much a bit part role.

Teams can have bad games. But surely not having found a balance yet is unforgivable? He should surely have known that before tournament. I mean, he has good options up front, number 10, wide right, wide left, defensive mid. Surely he has multiple ways to find a good balance, and he is failing.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thomas Frank saying that Southgate is still trying to work out what his best team is. How long has he been the manager? Surely after two years of qualifiers he should know what his best team is. And not only that, if one of his best team are out injured he should know who will step in to that position.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thomas Frank saying that Southgate is still trying to work out what his best team is. How long has he been the manager? Surely after two years of qualifiers he should know what his best team is. And not only that, if one of his best team are out injured he should know who will step in to that position.
At least he's worked out what the best team isn't, that's a start. 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This always seems to happen with players for England. Regardless of manager

When players are breaking through their young and hungry, eager to impress, or at not top tier teams so seem to step up to prove hey I'm good enough for this

Rice pre arsenal, one of England's top players. Heads to arsenal he's almost like his ego grows

Prob why Pickford never lets England down. If he played for city he would be thinking hey I'm too good for this.

Play Watkins and Gordon or eze next game and watch them run themselves into the ground to prove they are good enough

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was good to see TAA being made the sacrificial lamb. Now I'm sure he's no midfielder, but am I to assume he was the only one in midfield along with 6 defenders and 3 supposedly up front?
So we score, and then go into defend all the time, with the pace of a slug on sleeping tablets.
The sooner GS is gone the better.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At least he's worked out what the best team isn't, that's a start. 😂

Well it is, but with 26 players in the squad that means that there are 26 factorial possible combinations of players that could make up the "best team". So that's 26 x 25 x 24 x 23 x 22 etc, which is 403291461126605635584000000 different combinations of players. As we've got a maximum of 5 more games in this tournament I'm not confident that Southgate will find the answer in that time.

At least after picking the same team for the first two games he's only got another 403291461126605635583999999 combinations to try.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am now angry. A diabolical performance.

Players from Man City, Bayern, Real Madrid, Arsenal look like league 1 players at best. Southgate is not the manager to take us to next level.

If there is a camp virus then I will buy that as an explanation for the 💩 we just saw.

Kyle Walker properly polishing that turd in his interview.

Awful. 🤬
Sad thing is they are so media trained these days. No-one is allowed to say what we're all thinking. No players is going to come out and say "you know what we were crap - so sorry about that performance"

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It was good to see TAA being made the sacrificial lamb. Now I'm sure he's no midfielder, but am I to assume he was the only one in midfield along with 6 defenders and 3 supposedly up front?
So we score, and then go into defend all the time, with the pace of a slug on sleeping tablets.
The sooner GS is gone the better.

It’s part of the tribalism for some

He is being played out of position along with others - it’s not his natural position

Put him right back where he is his best

Put Bellingham as an 8 , get Foden as a 10

Have Gordon left

The squad is unbalanced as well

Bowen shouldn’t be there - solid up and down player for a mid table prem team but he isn’t an international player - Grealish should be there along with Maddison

But it all points to the same issue - Southgate isn’t a good enough manager

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s part of the tribalism for some

He is being played out of position along with others - it’s not his natural position

Put him right back where he is his best

Put Bellingham as an 8 , get Foden as a 10

Have Gordon left

The squad is unbalanced as well

Bowen shouldn’t be there - solid up and down player for a mid table prem team but he isn’t an international player - Grealish should be there along with Maddison

But it all points to the same issue - Southgate isn’t a good enough manager

TAA isn't good enough defensively to play right back in the current England team. Who's the player to miss out if you add Grealish and Maddison? Bowen is one but who is the other? I do agree that the manager is the biggest problem.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
TAA isn't good enough defensively to play right back in the current England team. Who's the player to miss out if you add Grealish and Maddison? Bowen is one but who is the other? I do agree that the manager is the biggest problem.

Its always the stock answer about not being good enough defensively shows a negative attitude - always worried about defensive issues , its no issues with this England team when they sit so deep. Walker was just as poor today defensively.

Perfect example of the negative defensive attitude

And Bowen and Toney shouldn’t have gone - Grealish and Maddison in.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

If he isn’t going to play Trent as right back (which I don’t think he would), then Trent could be at home in place of Maddison.