The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Ronaldo is still a good player,but feel like his presence could be a negative to the team.
Tough one for the manager,if you don’t play him & you lose,it’s because you didn’t play Ronaldo.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Sven dropped Beckham from the team because he didn’t want to start him. It’s probably hard to bench a player.
Also Hummels in Germany this year.
Dropping Ronaldo is a lot bigger than dropping Beckham imo.
Ronaldo is arguably the best player ever.

Swango1980

Visit site
Ok, so what goes through the mind of someone. 'Oh, I've score a goal! I know, I'll show everyone my magnificent sixpack. I know it's magnificent, but not before, or a bit later, but just now...'

Nope, still don't get why.

Ps. Same as sliding on ones knees towards the corner flag. Can imagine that one person did it once. But now its everyone. Really can't think why they all have the same mindset.
Everyone does things that others will just never understand.

I bet many people just don't understand why grown adults spend time on forums expressing their thoughts to people they don't know :D

4LEX

Visit site
Sven dropped Beckham from the team because he didn’t want to start him. It’s probably hard to bench a player.

That was actually McLaren when he got the job. He then recalled him and it made him look very silly which destroyed his crediblity.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, so what goes through the mind of someone. 'Oh, I've score a goal! I know, I'll show everyone my magnificent sixpack. I know it's magnificent, but not before, or a bit later, but just now...'

Ps. Same as sliding on ones knees towards the corner flag. Can imagine that one person did it once. But now its everyone. Really can't think why they all have the same mindset.
Think it’s just so you have something to wave around.
Who knows we need a shrink.

I hate the sliding in the corners ,the laces on their boots really damages the grass.
I spend a lot of time repairing them .

Was talking to a striker the other day and he said he “dosnt do it anymore” because the grass and mud gets caught in his laces and he could misshit the ball.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just watched the 2nd Portuguese goal and it has me wondering ... Why do players pull off their shirt and run around with it? Am neither for it, or against it, but just puzzled as to why they do it. (I've been pleased, or very pleased, occasionally, about things I've done but never once thought about pulling off my shirt to celebrate).
Isn't still an automatic yellow card or do the refs at this sort of event ignore it or does it depend who the ref is and how fussy they are?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

A few players have explained it

Most of the time it depends on the situation in the game

The player in this instance has just scored a massive goal for his country so a lot of celebrations will be reactionary without thinking too much about it

Some players have their own celebration some will work out something with their teammates

Some will make it all about themselves and egos

It’s very hard to judge celebrations when a lot of it will just happened without them thinking about it

PaulMdj

Visit site
The previous Portugal manager had started to ease him out and was getting stick, Martinez has brought him back in and since then Portugal have had their best ever qualifying campaign, 100% record, scored 36 goals, only conceded 2.

Portugese fans are very happy with both Ronaldo playing and the way Martinez has started.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few players have explained it

Most of the time it depends on the situation in the game

The player in this instance has just scored a massive goal for his country so a lot of celebrations will be reactionary without thinking too much about it

Some players have their own celebration some will work out something with their teammates

Some will make it all about themselves and egos

It’s very hard to judge celebrations when a lot of it will just happened without them thinking about it
Still doesn’t really answer the question though. Yep, I know a player is elated and celebratory - massively so. Yep, I know it is likey to be reactionary. Leaping about I can see; shouting, crying, yep; hugging, clapping, gesturing etc - that too. But I have never seen how/why pulling off your shirt fits into that kind of spontaneous action?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still doesn’t really answer the question though. Yep, I know a player is elated and celebratory - massively so. Yep, I know it is likey to be reactionary. Leaping about I can see; shouting, crying, yep; hugging, clapping, gesturing etc - that too. But I have never seen how/why pulling off your shirt fits into that kind of spontaneous action?
No me neither. I can't remember where/who started it either