The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How much did Everton pay for John Stones?
Poor us when a bigger club try’s it with one of their players 🤷‍♂️
We bought Stones for £3m. Nice bit of business, as you know 😄.

We know good players will leave us, just pay a fair price. Utd haven't helped themselves with that bid or the rumour of agreed terms. As has been mentioned already, he only recently signed a 4yr deal. He isn't going if we don't like the deal.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

We know good players will leave us, just pay a fair price. Utd haven't helped themselves with that bid or the rumour of agreed terms. As has been mentioned already, he only recently signed a 4yr deal. He isn't going if we don't like the deal.
Luckily Barnsley put a sell on fee with Stones.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Mate, he’s looking for a bite. We bought Stones when he was 18 and had him 3 years, there was a 15% sell on fee that earned Barnsley an extra £6.75million.

Maybe we should of given him away for free and Barnsley get nothing.🙄

Me and you are the only Everton fans that have replied and neither of us have played the pity card, simply stated he’s class and we’d like as much as we can for him.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Mate, he’s looking for a bite. We bought Stones when he was 18 and had him 3 years, there was a 15% sell on fee that earned Barnsley an extra £6.75million.

Maybe we should of given him away for free and Barnsley get nothing.🙄

Me and you are the only Everton fans that have replied and neither of us have played the pity card, simply stated he’s class and we’d like as much as we can for him.
we were having a grown ups conversation Paul 👍🏻😂

Swango1980

Visit site
To be fair, he isn't the new Beckenbauer, the new Baresi. He is a solid, no nonsense CH with a good head on his shoulders. And he is English so that brings a premium. In an normal world, that doesn't bring a £70m price tag but the PL is not normal.

He is better than Dunk, I think Southgate made an error there. From a club perspective though, he gets a summer of rest after a full on season. Dyche would have been happy with that.
Out of interest, what are Branthwaites strengths over Maguire?

Maguire was pretty well rated and experienced when he arrived at United. He is professional, solid and no nonsense. Weaknesses are pace and not the greatest on ball.

I assume Branthwaite had similar strengths? Beyond that, is he quick and much more composed on the ball?

My only concern would be that, if Utd did buy him for around £80m, might he end up being a younger Maguire type player, then other fans can spend next 3 or 4 years mocking Utd for overspending?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Swango1980 I think he needs a full second season to really answer that but I think he is better on the ball than Maguire, more composed, more comfortable. Saying that, we don't ask him to play like City from the back so how good he is on the ball, I'm not ultimately sure.

Another reason why I think a second season with us to develop would be good for all parties. He gets to grow with less pressure on him, other teams get to see if he is the real deal or not.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
@Swango1980 I think he needs a full second season to really answer that but I think he is better on the ball than Maguire, more composed, more comfortable. Saying that, we don't ask him to play like City from the back so how good he is on the ball, I'm not ultimately sure.

Another reason why I think a second season with us to develop would be good for all parties. He gets to grow with less pressure on him, other teams get to see if he is the real deal or not.
Agreed,I think a lot of the young players would benefit from 1 or 2 more seasons before moving to a bigger club.
But if I was in their position & got chance to double my wages I’d be off.
Just hilights how impressive Bellingham is,moved to the biggest club in the world & absolutely smashing it at 20 years of age 🤯

Swango1980

Visit site

And then potentially pay significantly more for him if he is the real deal, with more competition.

Utd need a CB for next season, so waiting another year is not much of an option. I suppose they think he is worth going for now, but for what price? That will ultimately tell us what they think he is worth, largely for potential.

It'll be interesting how the new ownership proceed. Perhaps they won't go anywhere near Everton's valuation, and willing to look elsewhere if needs be. Or, if they think he could be the real deal, then perhaps they get their wallet out more easily.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK, stay at a club that gets docked points for bad management. Great idea

Besides, if he is that good, Everton's performances, ignoring docked points, were in part of having him in the side. Man Utd didn't have Branthwaite in their side, they didn't really have any consistent centre backs.

So, how would both teams to if Utd had a player like Branthwaite, and Everton didn't? If he is confident in his ability, I guess he thinks he could increase the gap between the sides
Most UTD fans have been moaning there’s no structure upstairs at UTD .
Think half of the current squad are not good enough.

The manager is under massive pressure next season.
Most young players need to go into a settled experienced side with players to help them.
UTD don’t have that atm imo.

He might move but for me UTD is not the place to go.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Most young players need to go into a settled experienced side with players to help them.

I agree that he shouldn’t be going anywhere near Man Utd or places like Chelsea right now because of the mess they are in but they will offer a very big wage which will always tempt players - think he would be a great fit for us alongside Quansah but think we are looking abroad for a CB

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, what are Branthwaites strengths over Maguire?

Maguire was pretty well rated and experienced when he arrived at United. He is professional, solid and no nonsense. Weaknesses are pace and not the greatest on ball.

I assume Branthwaite had similar strengths? Beyond that, is he quick and much more composed on the ball?

My only concern would be that, if Utd did buy him for around £80m, might he end up being a younger Maguire type player, then other fans can spend next 3 or 4 years mocking Utd for overspending?
This is what I have been trying to say to you.

He’s young and has limited experience.
That can go two ways ,he flops under the intense pressure of UTD ,or he’s a superstar.
If you had a good settled side with CBs that could help him fine ,
But imo you havnt got that and that for me is a worry.

That’s why I think he should stay where he is for another year and learn.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
What annoys me is the way it’s been handled by both him and Utd if the reports are true.

He only signed a 4 year contract last October, so if Utd want him, put an offer in and ask for permission to speak to him. Behave in a proper manner. None of this personal terms already agreed.

So either, make him stay at least 2 more years of his contract, look to sell him with 18 months to go. Or dig the heals in and make Utd or anyone else pay over the odds.
United's modus operandi was set with they way they approached Dan Ashworth. No surprise to see them repeating with Branthwaite and making a lowball offer.

Swango1980

Visit site

If you were in charge of Man Utd, who do you think they should sign?

After all, let's assume they won't be a circus for the rest of time. And let's assume the Utd board want to build a settled site from this point on. What players should they recruit, if they are to avoid young talented players?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, if we get past how poor Scotland were, and they were awful, you also have to be impressed by Germany. They played with pace, fizzed the ball around. A real lesson in how to play against a team who park the bus. If England could play with that intensity on Sunday, we will do okay.