The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

He was one of the best CB’s in the league last year , huge potential for years to come , the likes of Gvardiol went for £78mil and you paid £80mil for Maguire

He should be in the England squad and should be one of the main Cb’s for England going forward for 10 years plus - their valuation when looking at modern prices doesn’t seem anywhere near silly

PaulMdj

Visit site
I actually think portraying United as a long term project which is in the early stages may be a stronger selling point than you perhaps believe.

Ask a young player whether he wants to be part of such a project, playing in front of 75,000 fans every other week, or to stay at a club which seems to be battling relegation every year, and if he has any ambition then I think he’s off.
😂😂😂😂😂
74,000 of them moaning. 😂😂😂😂😂

Swango1980

Visit site
They would not be that far away from UTD if they had not been docked points .

Going to one that finished 8th isn’t that good either 🙈😳
OK, stay at a club that gets docked points for bad management. Great idea

Besides, if he is that good, Everton's performances, ignoring docked points, were in part of having him in the side. Man Utd didn't have Branthwaite in their side, they didn't really have any consistent centre backs.

So, how would both teams to if Utd had a player like Branthwaite, and Everton didn't? If he is confident in his ability, I guess he thinks he could increase the gap between the sides

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Besides, if he is that good, Everton's performances, ignoring docked points, were in part of having him in the side. Man Utd didn't have Branthwaite in their side, they didn't really have any consistent centre backs.

So, how would both teams to if Utd had a player like Branthwaite, and Everton didn't? If he is confident in his ability, I guess he thinks he could increase the gap between the sides
Have you seen our goals conceded stats for last year? Our clean sheets stats? That's why you are sniffing after him, he is quality

4LEX

Visit site
Were do you get we are desperate to sell?

I read you had to raise a serious amount of money by the end of June to avoid further points deductions. I'm not as clued up into the finer details as you are though.

What do you think he'll go for?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually think portraying United as a long term project which is in the early stages may be a stronger selling point than you perhaps believe.

Ask a young player whether he wants to be part of such a project, playing in front of 75,000 fans every other week, or to stay at a club which seems to be battling relegation every year, and if he has any ambition then I think he’s off.
Perhaps he doesn't want to go a run down, leaky stadium 😂. One more season and we will be in the North's finest stadium, new owners, new money...... The future's bright in blue 💙

4LEX

Visit site
That’s taking the Michael not negotiating. Imo.

Why would he want to go to Utd at the moment it won’t do him any good
He should stay where he is for another season.

There's a fine line in making the bid so insulting it gets the clubs back up. I always remember Arsenal offering 40m and one pound in order to break Suarez's release clause and in the end it shot them in the foot as it pissed off Liverpool, who doubled down and got him to stay. If Arsenal had made a fair bid of around £50m plus they would most than likely got him.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I read you had to raise a serious amount of money by the end of June to avoid further points deductions. I'm not as clued up into the finer details as you are though.

What do you think he'll go for?
I’d love to keep him, but honest enough to realise if a Club as big as Utd come for you, you’re likely going to go.

What annoys me is the way it’s been handled by both him and Utd if the reports are true.

He only signed a 4 year contract last October, so if Utd want him, put an offer in and ask for permission to speak to him. Behave in a proper manner. None of this personal terms already agreed.

So either, make him stay at least 2 more years of his contract, look to sell him with 18 months to go. Or dig the heals in and make Utd or anyone else pay over the odds.

I’d take £60mil, and hope for more.

The end of Jun issue is we had to release players and possibly sell some, the exact amount is unknown.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Imagine what fans of other clubs would have been saying if Utd had gone in with a bid of £70-75 million. Liverpool fans would've been comparing it to what they paid for Van Dijk, and not in a favourable way. Utd would be getting accused of overpaying again.

VVD transfer was 5 years ago now and CBs have gone for more since - a bid of £70mil would prob have had a very good chance of being accepted

Paying £80mil for Maguire was laughable

Paying £70mil for Branthwaite wouldn’t be

Swango1980

Visit site
Have you seen our goals conceded stats for last year? Our clean sheets stats? That's why you are sniffing after him, he is quality
I've no doubt he is a very good player. I've only watched a few Everton games though, so I'm only basing that on what everyone says about him.

I was shocked Southgate didn't fancy him. I thought he would be a shoe in, especially after Maguire got injured. I'd have thought he'd be better than Dunk to be honest, who I only think is OK.

4LEX

Visit site
I’d love to keep him, but honest enough to realise if a Club as big as Utd come for you, you’re likely going to go.

What annoys me is the way it’s been handled by both him and Utd if the reports are true.

He only signed a 4 year contract last October, so if Utd want him, put an offer in and ask for permission to speak to him. Behave in a proper manner. None of this personal terms already agreed.

So either, make him stay at least 2 more years of his contract, look to sell him with 18 months to go. Or dig the heals in and make Utd or anyone else pay over the odds.

I’d take £60mil, and hope for more.

The end of Jun issue is we had to release players and possibly sell some, the exact amount is unknown.

Feel the pain as a fan of a lot smaller club than Everton and anyone half decent is gone within a year or less! My summer transfer highlight is hoping Olise goes for serious money so we can get 10%, not that it matters as we're still banned from paying any sort of transfer fee until next year :cautious:

Deals and talks are often done off the record, not right but that's football sadly. I would think you would be able to get at least £60m for him as Utd have a marker for Maguire and Martinez and they're desperate to bring in one starting CB in that position and they seem to be going for young players.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've no doubt he is a very good player. I've only watched a few Everton games though, so I'm only basing that on what everyone says about him.

I was shocked Southgate didn't fancy him. I thought he would be a shoe in, especially after Maguire got injured. I'd have thought he'd be better than Dunk to be honest, who I only think is OK.
To be fair, he isn't the new Beckenbauer, the new Baresi. He is a solid, no nonsense CH with a good head on his shoulders. And he is English so that brings a premium. In an normal world, that doesn't bring a £70m price tag but the PL is not normal.

He is better than Dunk, I think Southgate made an error there. From a club perspective though, he gets a summer of rest after a full on season. Dyche would have been happy with that.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Feel the pain as a fan of a lot smaller club than Everton and anyone half decent is gone within a year or less! My summer transfer highlight is hoping Olise goes for serious money so we can get 10%, not that it matters as we're still banned from paying any sort of transfer fee until next year :cautious:

Deals and talks are often done off the record, not right but that's football sadly. I would think you would be able to get at least £60m for him as Utd have a marker for Maguire and Martinez and they're desperate to bring in one starting CB in that position and they seem to be going for young players.
Talks off the record etc, yes, they happen, but for the media to say “agreed personal terms” that has only come from a source inside the Club or someone near the player.

Genuinely hope Everton put a complaint in if true and action is taken.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
He was one of the best CB’s in the league last year , huge potential for years to come , the likes of Gvardiol went for £78mil and you paid £80mil for Maguire

He should be in the England squad and should be one of the main Cb’s for England going forward for 10 years plus - their valuation when looking at modern prices doesn’t seem anywhere near silly

Gvardiol was already an established international by the time he went to City and Maguire was also an international, much older, too, with a lot of league experience and sold at an inflated price, as you have said before.
Branthwaite has just had one season in the EPL and United have merely bid £35m, that's not their valuation of him and nor mine.
I'd say no more than £60m.
I'm tired of United paying United Added Tax.