The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
The only reason they have kept ETH is they can't find anyone else. Tuchel turned them down and what's left is not an improvement so it makes sense to stick with what you have.

Now the problem comes if they perform badly in the first 3rd of the season. It's easy to say give him a fair crack of the whip but how long is that and what does it look like. Everyone will have differeing opinions.

Obviously as I don't actually go to football matches and I have only been watching soccer for 50 odd years I don't know what I am talking about and supporting a club steeped in failure means I have no understanding what that looks like you can take the above with a pinch of salt.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The only reason they have kept ETH is they can't find anyone else. Tuchel turned them down and what's left is not an improvement so it makes sense to stick with what you have.

Now the problem comes if they perform badly in the first 3rd of the season. It's easy to say give him a fair crack of the whip but how long is that and what does it look like. Everyone will have differeing opinions.

Obviously as I don't actually go to football matches and I have only been watching soccer for 50 odd years I don't know what I am talking about and supporting a club steeped in failure means I have no understanding what that looks like you can take the above with a pinch of salt.
I think United have dodged a bullet with Tuchel. He comes across as very rigid in the way he deals with players and with a somewhat dispirited squad already is that really what they would have needed? I think it is a win win for United to keep ETH as it gives them stability, he has a chance to get his own players in ready for the season and if it doesn't pan out then get rid if it is really that bad. If not give him time, and accept it will be a slow process for a few seasons and let him get on with it. Fergie was one game away from the sack and fans weren't happy but the board kept faith and it didn't turn out too badly

Swango1980

Visit site

Did Tuchel turn Utd down? As I've read reports in media he really wanted the job, and after talks realised he was not going to be offered the role so stepped away.

So, what to believe? Unless you've talked to Jim Radcliffe yourself, who told you he really wanted Tuchel, then we can all take reports like that with a pinch of salt.

Regardless, so glad we don't have Tuchel as manager. Just like I was so glad we didn't get Conte and brought in ETH instead

sunshine

Visit site
If Southgate was a flamingo he would be on his ass, he cannot balance.
Ave said it time and time again. What is his style of play, what is his formation. Here we are guessing as to who will play where. At the moment what is nailed on is
Pickford

Bellingham

Kane.

Now you can put in four defenders, a couple of midfielders, and a couple of wingers. But who are they. Three days before the comp starts and we know who three players are.

Wow. Everyone else has a pretty good idea, just read the posts on this thread

sunshine

Visit site
Yeah I think pretty much the same, except I have a feeling Gallagher is more likely than Mainoo in the middle there. Bellingham can play as an 8/10, and Foden plays off the left all the time for City so that's not really an issue. Only problem really is that we won't have a natural left back playing to overlap him when he comes inside. I see Gordon as the first sub in a game that's not going well as he will offer us more width.
Agree with this. I don’t rate Gallagher but Southgate does. Would love to see more of Eze, if he gets a chance I think he will be a revelation.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Did Tuchel turn Utd down? As I've read reports in media he really wanted the job, and after talks realised he was not going to be offered the role so stepped away.

So, what to believe? Unless you've talked to Jim Radcliffe yourself, who told you he really wanted Tuchel, then we can all take reports like that with a pinch of salt.

Regardless, so glad we don't have Tuchel as manager. Just like I was so glad we didn't get Conte and brought in ETH instead
Well I guess if only facts are accepted from now on we can look forward to a lot less posts on here and a lot less paragraphs.👍🏻

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

The positive news for Man Utd is Southgate’s contract runs until December so if it continues in the same vein then he will be available 👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The positive news for Man Utd is Southgate’s contract runs until December so if it continues in the same vein then he will be available 👍
Not going to happen imo. I think the board will give him time and accept this season as a rebuild. It will be the fans and their toxicity that forces any change and for once I'd love a club to be strong enough to address the fans if this happens and explain their position. Of course I doubt that will happen as it will still be about bums on seats and sales.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I think that's probably true although I don't think it's a case of they can't find anyone else I think it was a case that the pool of manager available at that point were a pretty average bunch. Poch was probably the best available but whilst he's done a pretty good job at other clubs I honestly didn't think he was a step up from ETH. I didn't want Tuchel so don't really care whether he turned us down or we didn't want him. The rest were all managers who had a pretty good season but had very little else on their CV and the United job is huge.

As I said previously, INEOS now have the perfect scapegoat if things don't go well and I would imagine they will be working hard behind the scenes with a succession plan and have their own man that they can bring in should it be required. ETH is going to be under a huge amount of pressure but I hope that INEOS back him during this window and don't follow the historical United strategy of chasing players have have no interest in coming and then panic buying in the last few weeks of the year. You can criticise the purchase of Anthony all you like however had we moved for him when ETH first said he wanted him then we'd have probably got him for £40m which is probably about the right price. Instead we dick about and end up going back to Ajax with days of the window left and have to pay a grossly inflated price. That's not down to ETH or the player, that is down to how the club do transfers, it's not the first time it's happened. Hopefully we'll get our work done early (or as early as possible given the Euro's) and have the final squad together for pre season.

PaulMdj

Visit site
OK, here goes,

As a supporter of another Club, the only time I care about Utd is when we play them.

However, reading posts on here this season from Utd fans you have done nothing but whine and moan about ETH, his player selection, his tactics, just about every area. Despite and I’ll give you this, the bad injury list he’s had to cope with. You’ve moaned about selection and set up, despite knowing he was down to the bare bones at times.

All of a sudden we can see the reversing lights while yous are doing the 360.

For a Club of Utd’s stature (one of the biggest in the World) yous need to be challenging for Titles and at a minimum the CL every year.

As an outsider, ETH has been a success for me, Cup wins, CL Football, so for virtually every other Club, bar 2, he’s a success.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a Fulham fan I was soooooooo happy to win at Old Trafford last year and we played them at a perfect time. I think there is the potential to get it right or at the very least leave a firm foundation going forward which I am not sure has happened when other managers have left especially the mood of the dressing room. I don't think top 4 is achievable this season but a good Europa cup campaign and cup runs would be a good first progression with a top 6 finish o get guaranteed European footie the following year.

Swango1980

Visit site
OK, here goes,

As a supporter of another Club, the only time I care about Utd is when we play them.

However, reading posts on here this season from Utd fans you have done nothing but whine and moan about ETH, his player selection, his tactics, just about every area. Despite and I’ll give you this, the bad injury list he’s had to cope with. You’ve moaned about selection and set up, despite knowing he was down to the bare bones at times.

All of a sudden we can see the reversing lights while yous are doing the 360.

For a Club of Utd’s stature (one of the biggest in the World) yous need to be challenging for Titles and at a minimum the CL every year.

As an outsider, ETH has been a success for me, Cup wins, CL Football, so for virtually every other Club, bar 2, he’s a success.
Utd fans have done nothing but whine and moan about ETH? That is a massive overstatement. I don't think there is a single Utd fan on this forum that have constantly whined and moaned about ETH? The strongest feeling against him was by Billyboots after Coventry, yet he has explained his feeling on that.

Sure, in individual games, we question decisions, substitutions, etc. No one has said he has got everything spot on. But, there have also been times he has made the right decisions, even if they seemed dodgy to some at the time (e.g. starting line up in FA Cup). Utd fans have not questioned ETH too much though, hence why many want him to stay. They have questioned the players, strength of the squad, board, etc, significantly though. I think most Utd fans realise there are big problems outside of the manager situation.

Personally, zero reversing from me. As you are aware, I have been defending ETH long before the FA Cup final. Thus, I agree with your last sentence.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Utd fans have done nothing but whine and moan about ETH? That is a massive overstatement. I don't think there is a single Utd fan on this forum that have constantly whined and moaned about ETH? The strongest feeling against him was by Billyboots after Coventry, yet he has explained his feeling on that.

Sure, in individual games, we question decisions, substitutions, etc. No one has said he has got everything spot on. But, there have also been times he has made the right decisions, even if they seemed dodgy to some at the time (e.g. starting line up in FA Cup). Utd fans have not questioned ETH too much though, hence why many want him to stay. They have questioned the players, strength of the squad, board, etc, significantly though. I think most Utd fans realise there are big problems outside of the manager situation.

Personally, zero reversing from me. As you are aware, I have been defending ETH long before the FA Cup final. Thus, I agree with your last sentence.
Eeerrmmm, no it isn't, it really isn't. That has been standard throughout the season. The cup win has erased a lot of memories. It's Men in Black all over again, look into the pen............... 😂

Swango1980

Visit site
Eeerrmmm, no it isn't, it really isn't. That has been standard throughout the season. The cup win has erased a lot of memories. It's Men in Black all over again, look into the pen............... 😂
Well, I'll let the other Utd fans speak for themselves, in terms of what they whined and moaned about pre FA Cup final. But, I've always liked ETH up to now, and have generally aimed most of my criticism to players and transfer policy.

There are others that have constantly whined and moaned about ETH. Arthur Wedge and 4ALEX have written the contents of a book about their feelings on ETH, but I don't think either is a Utd fan?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I think that's probably true although I don't think it's a case of they can't find anyone else I think it was a case that the pool of manager available at that point were a pretty average bunch. Poch was probably the best available but whilst he's done a pretty good job at other clubs I honestly didn't think he was a step up from ETH. I didn't want Tuchel so don't really care whether he turned us down or we didn't want him. The rest were all managers who had a pretty good season but had very little else on their CV and the United job is huge.

As I said previously, INEOS now have the perfect scapegoat if things don't go well and I would imagine they will be working hard behind the scenes with a succession plan and have their own man that they can bring in should it be required. ETH is going to be under a huge amount of pressure but I hope that INEOS back him during this window and don't follow the historical United strategy of chasing players have have no interest in coming and then panic buying in the last few weeks of the year. You can criticise the purchase of Anthony all you like however had we moved for him when ETH first said he wanted him then we'd have probably got him for £40m which is probably about the right price. Instead we dick about and end up going back to Ajax with days of the window left and have to pay a grossly inflated price. That's not down to ETH or the player, that is down to how the club do transfers, it's not the first time it's happened. Hopefully we'll get our work done early (or as early as possible given the Euro's) and have the final squad together for pre season.

Don’t the club have PSR issues and it seems only have a budget of around £40-50mil

Tough to bring in a decent amount of quality for that amount

Guess they will look to bring in funds selling - Greenwood ( to Juve ) , and maybe Sancho ( who won’t play until he says sorry )

PaulMdj

Visit site
It does grind my gears when a goalkeeper is singled out for criticism when a team is shipping goals.

There is obviously no escaping the fact that Onana was horribly at fault for Bayern’s first, but he could do nothing about the rest. And I don’t recall him having the finger pointed at him for too many other goals so far this season.

The issue is three fold for me. First, United are utterly incapable of retaining possession higher up the pitch. Arsenal away was a classic case in point. They played some lovely stuff deep in their own half that day, ironically with Onana being central to most of it. But almost every time they crossed half way they gave possession away cheaply, inviting pressure onto themselves time and again.

Second, Casemiro has not only had a below par start to the season when judged by the standards he set last year, but it is glaringly obvious to all that he is desperately in need of quality alongside him. I note 4LEX’s observation that the club were scrambling around for loan signings on deadline day but that rather detracts from the fact that Amrabat was a target for most of the summer. How they got him through the door is all rather irrelevant - what matters is they got him, he’s a quality player in the eyes of every pundit I have heard talk about him, and he can only add some steel to a really soft central midfield.

And finally, any defence which is missing three of its first choice players is bound to struggle. Dalot is nowhere near the defender AWB is, and Lindelöf has proved any number of times that he is way too lightweight at the top level. The defence is makeshift, and it shows.

I recall 4LEX being hugely critical of ETH’s appointment to begin with, so Onana’s mistake for one goal, and United’s inability to keep a clean sheet, is perhaps being used rather unfairly as a means of bringing all this to the manager’s door because of his signing of one player.

The problems are far wider than that, many of them beyond the control of the manager.
Moan…just saying😬