The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
I've got to wonder what this new Man Utd ownership will be like. I was initially filled with some sort of hope. That they would come in, know a lot more about sport and football than the Glazers, and come up with a very good strategy. Starting to see action once the season ends and the transfer window begins.

Now, I have my doubts.

All the talk before the Cup Final was that ETH was definitely getting the sack. If INEOS were planning to sack ETH and bring in their own man, it was pretty poor that they thought they could keep it secret. Then again, was this really their plan, or the media just stirring the pot? Not sure, but they certainly have never come out to back the manager, and ETH seems to be uncertain?

So, after the cup final, I was expecting (and dreading) the announcement ETH was getting sacked. Yet, well over a week later, nothing. No confirmation he is staying or going. Do they still not know? If they were planning on bringing in Poch, Tuchel or De Zerbi, surely they would have done that by now? Are they waiting for a manager who cannot yet announce he is joining due to other commitments, in other words Southgate? The thought of any of those managers, apart from maybe Poch, fills me with dread. And I'd still far rather Utd stay faithful with ETH that start again with Poch.

And, how does all of this impact on the clubs plans for next season? ETH doesn't know what is happening. Players don't know what is happening. A few might want ETH to leave, like Sancho. But, a few others may well have a good relationship with ETH, like Mainoo, Garnacho, Martinez, Bruno, etc. Do some of these players question the future of Man Utd and their own future? How do Utd plan who needs to leave and who comes in, without the manager having his input into the process, and potential players coming in knowing who will be the manager? Will we just become a Chelsea and have the board 100% buy in players, and just expect the manager to deal with what he has?

Ironically, I've personally never felt the club as being more unstable as it is now going into the summer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Swango1980 as an outsider, you need two things in place. 1/ The manager. Make up your mind, commit to it. 2/ Director of Football. If you want Dan Ashworth, pay Newcastle.

The more the club delays over both, the more you drop behind. You clearly need players out, players in, and both of the above positions are key to those decisions.

My team, Everton, might have no money but all interviews with the manager and the DoF confirm they know what is needed, what they are going for. Achieving that is another thing but they are in place now trying to do that. That isn't the case at Utd, you are treading water a little.

PaulMdj

Visit site
@Swango1980 as an outsider, you need two things in place. 1/ The manager. Make up your mind, commit to it. 2/ Director of Football. If you want Dan Ashworth, pay Newcastle.

The more the club delays over both, the more you drop behind. You clearly need players out, players in, and both of the above positions are key to those decisions.

My team, Everton, might have no money but all interviews with the manager and the DoF confirm they know what is needed, what they are going for. Achieving that is another thing but they are in place now trying to do that. That isn't the case at Utd, you are treading water a little.
Mate, very little business happens before a major tournament.👍🏻

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got to wonder what this new Man Utd ownership will be like. I was initially filled with some sort of hope. That they would come in, know a lot more about sport and football than the Glazers, and come up with a very good strategy. Starting to see action once the season ends and the transfer window begins.

Now, I have my doubts.

All the talk before the Cup Final was that ETH was definitely getting the sack. If INEOS were planning to sack ETH and bring in their own man, it was pretty poor that they thought they could keep it secret. Then again, was this really their plan, or the media just stirring the pot? Not sure, but they certainly have never come out to back the manager, and ETH seems to be uncertain?

So, after the cup final, I was expecting (and dreading) the announcement ETH was getting sacked. Yet, well over a week later, nothing. No confirmation he is staying or going. Do they still not know? If they were planning on bringing in Poch, Tuchel or De Zerbi, surely they would have done that by now? Are they waiting for a manager who cannot yet announce he is joining due to other commitments, in other words Southgate? The thought of any of those managers, apart from maybe Poch, fills me with dread. And I'd still far rather Utd stay faithful with ETH that start again with Poch.

And, how does all of this impact on the clubs plans for next season? ETH doesn't know what is happening. Players don't know what is happening. A few might want ETH to leave, like Sancho. But, a few others may well have a good relationship with ETH, like Mainoo, Garnacho, Martinez, Bruno, etc. Do some of these players question the future of Man Utd and their own future? How do Utd plan who needs to leave and who comes in, without the manager having his input into the process, and potential players coming in knowing who will be the manager? Will we just become a Chelsea and have the board 100% buy in players, and just expect the manager to deal with what he has?

Ironically, I've personally never felt the club as being more unstable as it is now going into the summer.

I tend to agree, having someone (seemingly) sensible in charge of the football side of things did give a glimmer of hope and getting the appointments in early did suggest that they had an idea of what they were doing. The only thing I would add is that those they have brought in hardly have solid track records within football, Ashworth is pretty new and was only at Newcastle for 5 minutes and Wilcox has only be DoF at academy level so lacks experience at top level. I'm not saying they won't work but we're hardly getting towards a City type level in terms of the management structure.

This whole end of season review is turning into a farce, the review should have been there or there about before the final although I wonder whether that has thrown a spanner in the works as they expect us to get humped and that would have seen ETH get his marching orders. That in itself is ridiculous as if he wasn't the man for the job before the final why should the result have made any difference. Either way the decision should have been made within 48 hours of the final and we then move on.

At this point you have everyone in limbo and whilst little business happens before a major tournament you can guarantee that won't stop Chelsea trying to get hold of Olise (for example) whist we are still mucking around with either a manager who is the right man (but they won't come out and confirm it) or one who isn't (but they haven't got the guts to just sack him). The list of replacements is hugely underwhelming IMO so just keep him on, see what happens next season and as he's at the end of his contract next year you can part ways with for free.

PaulMdj

Visit site
That doesn't mean that players are not lined up, talks with agents had. I agree that deals are not likely to be signed but the ins and outs list should be in place. Preparation (y)
Absolutely, so shouldn’t us fans have patience and wait rather than getting wound up over something we have no control over.🤷‍♂️

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Absolutely, so shouldn’t us fans have patience and wait rather than getting wound up over something we have no control over.🤷‍♂️

Not only have no control over but also have no reasonable knowledge of whether clubs have solid plans and targets. We believe we know what needs to be done but don’t know if a club just needs one more jigsaw piece to fall into place or the jigsaw isn’t even out of the box. I’m clicking on Middlesbrough’s news page every day thinking why haven’t they… maybe they already have…

Swango1980

Visit site
We fans have no control over pretty much anything a club decides to do.

Not sure when that ever stopped fans having an opinion? Just because we have no control over something, doesn't mean that the people who do have control are acting perfectly?

Swango1980

Visit site
Not only have no control over but also have no reasonable knowledge of whether clubs have solid plans and targets. We believe we know what needs to be done but don’t know if a club just needs one more jigsaw piece to fall into place or the jigsaw isn’t even out of the box. I’m clicking on Middlesbrough’s news page every day thinking why haven’t they… maybe they already have…
if Man Utd have already sacked ETH, and have a new manager in place, then I will give them credit for keeping that one quiet :)

PaulMdj

Visit site
We fans have no control over pretty much anything a club decides to do.

Not sure when that ever stopped fans having an opinion? Just because we have no control over something, doesn't mean that the people who do have control are acting perfectly?
Please show the post were I said fans should stop having an opinion.🙄

PaulMdj

Visit site
And me with Everton mate, normally transfer deadline day before we do anything though.😂

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Chelsea are signing Tosin Adarabioyo. Seems like a weird one. Was he even any good this season? I don't recall hearing his name once for the entire campaign. @HomerJSimpson will know I guess?

From what I've read he had the choice between Newcastle and Chelsea. The former were offering £100k per week plus the opportunity of first team football. The latter were offering £140k-£160k per week and I can't imagine can guarantee first team footie given the number of other CB's they have. He chose the latter, I wonder why?

I know it can be sour grapes on the side of Fulham fans however whilst they think he's a decent player they don't seem to rate him as a top player. He's also 26yrs and whilst that's not old it's the sort of age whereby you wouldn't think there was a massive amount of improvement left so an odd choice for Chelsea who you'd think want someone top class.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
From what I've read he had the choice between Newcastle and Chelsea. The former were offering £100k per week plus the opportunity of first team football. The latter were offering £140k-£160k per week and I can't imagine can guarantee first team footie given the number of other CB's they have. He chose the latter, I wonder why?

I know it can be sour grapes on the side of Fulham fans however whilst they think he's a decent player they don't seem to rate him as a top player. He's also 26yrs and whilst that's not old it's the sort of age whereby you wouldn't think there was a massive amount of improvement left so an odd choice for Chelsea who you'd think want someone top class.
He was a good player for us. Was always going to be susceptible to the odd mistake, especially given the workload he's had in many games (defending not our strong point). Very good from set pieces at both ends and I think in a better unit he could flourish. Whether he'll get the game time (and interesting to see Spurs have released Sessignon after signing him from us a few years back). Not sure many defenders are ever a fans "favourite" and they seem to do the dirty work and it not be noticed/appreciated. If the rumors are true regarding the money and playing opportunities (and I take all press talk about personal terms etc with a pinch of salt) then I agree Newcastle may have been a better choice but I think it remains to see if Chelsea get rid of any defenders and if he can force his way in. Definitely a very good squad player and hardly the most expensive wages on their books

Swango1980

Visit site
There's me thinking Man United were being sluggish in their preparation for next season.

And only an hour or so later, I read that they are in talks with Jonny Evans in extending his contract. How silly do I look now? Looks like United are in full flow. Get that contract tied up, we'll be flying into next season :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He was a good player for us. Was always going to be susceptible to the odd mistake, especially given the workload he's had in many games (defending not our strong point). Very good from set pieces at both ends and I think in a better unit he could flourish. Whether he'll get the game time (and interesting to see Spurs have released Sessignon after signing him from us a few years back). Not sure many defenders are ever a fans "favourite" and they seem to do the dirty work and it not be noticed/appreciated. If the rumors are true regarding the money and playing opportunities (and I take all press talk about personal terms etc with a pinch of salt) then I agree Newcastle may have been a better choice but I think it remains to see if Chelsea get rid of any defenders and if he can force his way in. Definitely a very good squad player and hardly the most expensive wages on their books
The lad has been injured for pretty much three years straight. Sadly, I can't see him having much of a career unless something changes on that front.