The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got to wonder what this new Man Utd ownership will be like. I was initially filled with some sort of hope. That they would come in, know a lot more about sport and football than the Glazers, and come up with a very good strategy. Starting to see action once the season ends and the transfer window begins.

Now, I have my doubts.

All the talk before the Cup Final was that ETH was definitely getting the sack. If INEOS were planning to sack ETH and bring in their own man, it was pretty poor that they thought they could keep it secret. Then again, was this really their plan, or the media just stirring the pot? Not sure, but they certainly have never come out to back the manager, and ETH seems to be uncertain?

So, after the cup final, I was expecting (and dreading) the announcement ETH was getting sacked. Yet, well over a week later, nothing. No confirmation he is staying or going. Do they still not know? If they were planning on bringing in Poch, Tuchel or De Zerbi, surely they would have done that by now? Are they waiting for a manager who cannot yet announce he is joining due to other commitments, in other words Southgate? The thought of any of those managers, apart from maybe Poch, fills me with dread. And I'd still far rather Utd stay faithful with ETH that start again with Poch.

And, how does all of this impact on the clubs plans for next season? ETH doesn't know what is happening. Players don't know what is happening. A few might want ETH to leave, like Sancho. But, a few others may well have a good relationship with ETH, like Mainoo, Garnacho, Martinez, Bruno, etc. Do some of these players question the future of Man Utd and their own future? How do Utd plan who needs to leave and who comes in, without the manager having his input into the process, and potential players coming in knowing who will be the manager? Will we just become a Chelsea and have the board 100% buy in players, and just expect the manager to deal with what he has?

Ironically, I've personally never felt the club as being more unstable as it is now going into the summer.
You’re just a paying fan.
You will be last to know.!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The sponsorship started in 2010, the fines connected to Iran were in 2012 & 2019, but apparently dated back to 2009-2014.
The other fine was because of lack of tight controls in the Middle East connected to terrorism.🤷‍♂️

The Club must be OK with those fines as they recently renewed the contract for £50 mil a year until 2027.
Just like every other club,no morals 🤷‍♂️
Happy to take Saudi money & take the sponsors that offer the most money 🤷‍♂️

4LEX

Visit site
To be honest Homer re City I am not sure. City were accused a few years back of inflating Sponsorship deals. They got one specific deal which was more than what Utd had been paid. It was then suggested City were inflating deals. Citys response was that Utd and other clubs had undersold there sponsorship deals and that people doing there jobs re deals for there clubs had not got the deals they should have. City also said clubs were investing in the future success of City. Some of the 115 charges are aimed at sponsorship deals from Abu Dhabi.
Again Homer, the financial side of football has gone stupid. FFP is investigating City for inflating deals etc. City have now taken the Prem league to court and yet at the same time they are spending £300 million of there owners money improving the stadium.
Don’t ask me what the answer is.

You must be conflicted in all this as a lifelong fan?

Obviously over the moon with all your success and how you operate on the football side of it. However the business side is dodgy as it gets. The defence other bigger clubs all undersold their deals and your new sponsors happended to see the true potential of Man City so paid more is laughable. Even more so when these deals largely happen to come from Abu Dhabi, whose ruling family plus the actual Royal family and prime minister of the UAE happen to own the club.

I would never hear a word about corruption in English football but since those from the Middle East have got involved I'm not so sure.

Abu Dhabi and Man City
Saudi's and Newcastle plus buying up sport like golf and boxing. They'll buy the World Cup soon too
Throw in Qatar and the World Cup they clearly purchased
PL refs going to the Middle East on nice little earners mid season

Rules on joint owners have this week been seemingly washed away by UEFA as they're too scared to take those clubs on plus Man Utd's new owners who own multiple teams.

Back to Man City. The answer is simple, abide by the rules the Premier League set. If you don't agree with them, get a vote called in to change them. If you can't do that then either stick to the rules or quit the league. To delay the charges for years with timewasting lawyers has cast a shadow over all your success and to now try to sue the PL is disgraceful IMO.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
You must be conflicted in all this as a lifelong fan?

Obviously over the moon with all your success and how you operate on the football side of it. However the business side is dodgy as it gets. The defence other bigger clubs all undersold their deals and your new sponsors happended to see the true potential of Man City so paid more is laughable. Even more so when these deals largely happen to come from Abu Dhabi, whose ruling family plus the actual Royal family and prime minister of the UAE happen to own the club.

I would never hear a word about corruption in English football but since those from the Middle East have got involved I'm not so sure.

Abu Dhabi and Man City
Saudi's and Newcastle plus buying up sport like golf and boxing. They'll buy the World Cup soon too
Throw in Qatar and the World Cup they clearly purchased
PL refs going to the Middle East on nice little earners mid season

Rules on joint owners have this week been seemingly washed away by UEFA as they're too scared to take those clubs on plus Man Utd's new owners who own multiple teams.

Back to Man City. The answer is simple, abide by the rules the Premier League set. If you don't agree with them, get a vote called in to change them. If you can't do that then either stick to the rules or quit the league. To delay the charges for years with timewasting lawyers has cast a shadow over all your success and to now try to sue the PL is disgraceful IMO.
I agree with most of that.
But I don’t want the clubs that generate the most money be allowed to spend the most.
That just keeps the “big clubs” at the big table.
FFP is supposed to be there to protect clubs,City don’t need protecting.
To make it fair just give everyone the same budget 🤷‍♂️

I personally think it’s gone too far now,just let everyone fill their boots.
At lest it’d be good for the economy.

4LEX

Visit site
I agree with most of that.
But I don’t want the clubs that generate the most money be allowed to spend the most.
That just keeps the “big clubs” at the big table.
FFP is supposed to be there to protect clubs,City don’t need protecting.
To make it fair just give everyone the same budget 🤷‍♂️

I personally think it’s gone too far now,just let everyone fill their boots.
At lest it’d be good for the economy.

The downside of FFP is someone like Jack Walker or Dave Whelen wouldn't be able to turn up and spend fortunes on their local teams anymore for instant success. The positive side is it stops dodgy owners spending a fortune, failing and walking away, leaving clubs on the brink of folding. Finding the right balance is very difficult. If a new owner cares that much, FFP allows them to invest in the stadium, training ground and academy which will grow the club organically.

I've got a lot of experience of FFP as my club has had more points deducted than any in the country over the last few years due to this and I've read numerous 50 page reports, legal documents and rest of it :ROFLMAO:

Sustainability will favour the bigger clubs but football is an unpredictable business. A well run medium club will outperform a badly run bigger club.

I agree it's not perfect and to be honest I think it's also gone too far.

4LEX

Visit site
"In the decade from 2009 to 2019, the big clubs all enjoyed a healthy rise in commercial revenues.

Arsenal: £48m to £111m (131%)
Chelsea: £53m to £185m (249%)
Liverpool: £68m to £186m (174%)
United: £70m to £280m (300%)
City: £18m to £230m (1177%)
"

PaulMdj

Visit site
"In the decade from 2009 to 2019, the big clubs all enjoyed a healthy rise in commercial revenues.

Arsenal: £48m to £111m (131%)
Chelsea: £53m to £185m (249%)
Liverpool: £68m to £186m (174%)
United: £70m to £280m (300%)
City: £18m to £230m (1177%)
"
What’s the issue?

Man City were just another PL Club prior to 2009 and had in fact been down to the third tier of English Football only 10yrs before.

The rest of those Clubs were recent PL winners and some EC Winners.

The other Clubs had a lot of experience in securing commercial revenues were as City were not an attractive proposition, so when they becsme successful the commercial side took off.

Look at the starting points.

Well done City I’d say.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A quick Google search suggests that in 2023 Real Madrid made €403m in commercial revenue, Bayern made €419m.

Frankly, City need to up their rates. They are under charging 😂

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only form of FFP that is acceptable is a salary cap or spending cap that is exactly the same monetary value for all clubs, and is not related to their revenue or income.

Totally agree. There are better ways of protecting clubs from poor owners which would allow spending. The situation now is getting worse though as those who can spend are ramping up transfer fee and wage inflation so making it even more difficult for other clubs to compete with their FFP imposed budgets.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well the vote in favour of VAR was 19-1. Does that mean that we will get no complaints about it from everyone except Wolves next season as they all seem to think it is fine.

simsini

Visit site
Well the vote in favour of VAR was 19-1. Does that mean that we will get no complaints about it from everyone except Wolves next season as they all seem to think it is fine.
Surprised Forest voted for it, they had more decisions against them than Wolves did.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Think scrapping it is a ridiculous throw toys out idea. It would be worse without it

Needs improving not scrapping

Don't want to put a % on it but isn't the vaste majority of issues not var related but actually ref competence related

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree. There are better ways of protecting clubs from poor owners which would allow spending. The situation now is getting worse though as those who can spend are ramping up transfer fee and wage inflation so making it even more difficult for other clubs to compete with their FFP imposed budgets.
Havent the transfer fees gone as mad as they have as a result of the money the PL clubs get from Sky?
The deal is done as a collective, and not individual deals like the Spanish, but through the amount agreed, even the lowest PL club apparently gets more in TV revenue than Real Madrid.
As much as I dislike the way transfer fees have gone, isn't the PL just doing what LaLiga or Serie A did hoovering up the World class talent with big transfer fees and wages?