The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
I’m as far from a Liverpool fan as you can get. But, Standard Charter are huge and have a huge amount of high profile customers , including some of the largest companies in the world. You can’t blame Liverpool for accepting sponsorship from them. It’s probably a completely different entity/division of SC that deals with LFC compared to those in the article.

Football authorities should get its own house in order and look at things like FIFA World Cup bribes (Qatar, South Africa, Russiia) if we’re looking at corruption and bribery
Are you sure about that? I remember Lpool signing a sponsorship deal with Tibet Water a few years back, there was a massive backlash from their fans over the company being Chinese owned and the treatment of the Tibetan people, Lpool cancelled the deal.

SBC have twice been fined for the money laundering and alleged connections to groups such as Al Qaeda and the Taliban amongst others.

Fined £20mil just a few years back for failing to comply with Russia sanctions.

If it comes out as guilty in the US court they’ll have no choice but to drop them.

The fines they accepted from the US Government in the past also came with a defferred prosecution agreement.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Standard Charter started sponsoring yous around 2010 and have twice in that period been sanctioned for their poor handling of terrorist and Iranian money laundering.

Below is an article from 2019:

So please explain why Lpool as a Club can claim ignorance and have infact extended the shirt contract?
That dosnt look good imo.
But it’s an accusation at the moment.
But if proved Liverpool should drop them pronto and refund the money we can’t be seen to profit from terrorism.

I’d like to know why Cameron’s government intervened in the past!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
But if proved Liverpool should drop them pronto and refund the money we can’t be seen to profit from terrorism.

That can go in the same filing cabinet as post office scandal, mineworkers pension robbery and a few others 😳🤬

PaulMdj

Visit site

The fines they “accepted” were all related to the Iranian Government, there is no way the Club would be ignorant of these fines, but obviously have been convinced it no longer happens.
As said if the new allegations are proved it’s not good they were linked to the Taliban and the purchase of fertiliser for making explosives from Pakistan.

sunshine

Visit site
Playing teams like this before a major comp when we know they will just park the bus dosnt make sense to me.

I think it’s ideal preparation. That’s exactly what most tournament matches are like. Do you think Serbia and Slovenia are going to go all out attack against England?

In recent tournaments England have dominated possession, even against France in the World Cup QF we had more possession. The challenge is breaking down well organised defences.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fines they “accepted” were all related to the Iranian Government, there is no way the Club would be ignorant of these fines, but obviously have been convinced it no longer happens.
As said if the new allegations are proved it’s not good they were linked to the Taliban and the purchase of fertiliser for making explosives from Pakistan.
Well I think they should of refused the sponsorship if that’s the case

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it’s ideal preparation. That’s exactly what most tournament matches are like. Do you think Serbia and Slovenia are going to go all out attack against England?

In recent tournaments England have dominated possession, even against France in the World Cup QF we had more possession. The challenge is breaking down well organised defences.
Yes I get that.
But it’s the first team that should be practicing that ,not the subs. Imo of course.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Well I think they should of refused the sponsorship if that’s the case
The sponsorship started in 2010, the fines connected to Iran were in 2012 & 2019, but apparently dated back to 2009-2014.
The other fine was because of lack of tight controls in the Middle East connected to terrorism.🤷‍♂️

The Club must be OK with those fines as they recently renewed the contract for £50 mil a year until 2027.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The sponsorship started in 2010, the fines connected to Iran were in 2012 & 2019, but apparently dated back to 2009-2014.
The other fine was because of lack of tight controls in the Middle East connected to terrorism.🤷‍♂️

The Club must be OK with those fines as they recently renewed the contract for £50 mil a year until 2027.
Well money talks in football.
But that’s not good imo.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Liverpool sponsors
well aware there's a general election, and god knows what's happening in the US... But this should be front page news in my book.

If true it's simply outrageous. it's not like it's a sole random businessman who slipped through the net - it's c. £100 billion which should have been sanctioned. Main sponsor of my football club or not, it's pretty bad!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
well aware there's a general election, and god knows what's happening in the US... But this should be front page news in my book.

If true it's simply outrageous. it's not like it's a sole random businessman who slipped through the net - it's c. £100 billion which should have been sanctioned. Main sponsor of my football club or not, it's pretty bad!
Yes I agree.
But is there any big buisness without skeletons in the cupboard.
Liverpool obs didn’t do its homework or did they and are not that bothered.
Looks very poor to me.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes I agree.
But is there any big buisness without skeletons in the cupboard.
Liverpool obs didn’t do its homework or did they and are not that bothered.
Looks very poor to me.
there's no such thing as a "good" billionaire. The banks are full of billionaires. Football has a fair few of them.

Unfortunately we the people matter not a drop.

Tashyboy

Visit site
On a positive, the shenanigans going on about Liverpool have kept City off the front and back page taking the prem league to court 😂👍

Tashyboy

Visit site
Gutsy win by the ladies in St Ettiene which keeps qualification alive

Is the City legal action a smokescreen to deflect from the charges they face?
To be honest Homer re City I am not sure. City were accused a few years back of inflating Sponsorship deals. They got one specific deal which was more than what Utd had been paid. It was then suggested City were inflating deals. Citys response was that Utd and other clubs had undersold there sponsorship deals and that people doing there jobs re deals for there clubs had not got the deals they should have. City also said clubs were investing in the future success of City. Some of the 115 charges are aimed at sponsorship deals from Abu Dhabi.
Again Homer, the financial side of football has gone stupid. FFP is investigating City for inflating deals etc. City have now taken the Prem league to court and yet at the same time they are spending £300 million of there owners money improving the stadium.
Don’t ask me what the answer is.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be honest Homer re City I am not sure. City were accused a few years back of inflating Sponsorship deals. They got one specific deal which was more than what Utd had been paid. It was then suggested City were inflating deals. Citys response was that Utd and other clubs had undersold there sponsorship deals and that people doing there jobs re deals for there clubs had not got the deals they should have. City also said clubs were investing in the future success of City. Some of the 115 charges are aimed at sponsorship deals from Abu Dhabi.
Again Homer, the financial side of football has gone stupid. FFP is investigating City for inflating deals etc. City have now taken the Prem league to court and yet at the same time they are spending £300 million of there owners money improving the stadium.
Don’t ask me what the answer is.
Give me the old days of players kicking lumps out of each other, the keeper having a crafty fag when play is down the other end and pitches that look like Blackpool beach. OK maybe not but at least the whole game was a simpler affair back then