The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The odds on next Man Utd manager makes pretty poor reading.

2/1 Poch
7/2 McKenna
11/2 Tuchel 😄
6/1 De Zerbi
8/1 Southgate

It's not a great list is it? Poch is a solid manager but certainly not a top drawer manager yet. Although McKenna is totally unproven at the top, De Zerbi I think the jury is out on, and Southgate is already an abject failure at club level. And Tuchel I just think is a bit of a clown. If these are the candidates you might as well stick with Ten Hag!

Tuchel would be a good choice for them , far better manager than ETH and the one manager on that list that’s actually won trophies

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure how McKenna would work out at any of the big name clubs. He may be a superb manager but how often have managers stepped up from that level and managed to deal with the dressing room egos and other issues.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Rumours really starting to gather pace that ten Hag will be gone next week, if not sooner.

I would be rather more relaxed about that if not for the fact I am rather underwhelmed by the alternatives.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Rumours really starting to gather pace that ten Hag will be gone next week, if not sooner.

I would be rather more relaxed about that if not for the fact I am rather underwhelmed by the alternatives.
Crazy when you see the managers being linked with & getting the top jobs in the “best league in the world”.

Swango1980

Visit site

Press talking about ETH getting replaced for months now. It's boring. Meanwhile, the higher management at the club seems to be still all over the place bit, nothing settled yet.

But then again, when you have stations like Talksport that seem to dedicate significant airtime to Man Utd, how bad they are, how bad the players are, manager is, etc on a daily basis, then no Utd manager will ever get a chance, at least much more than 2 seasons. The story is always "sack the manager, sack the manager, sack the manager". Say it enough, it almost seems like the only correct option to more and more people.

I suspect if Liverpool get off to a sluggish start next season, the media will plan to dedicate significant time trying to get their manager sacked.

Billysboots

Visit site
Press talking about ETH getting replaced for months now. It's boring. Meanwhile, the higher management at the club seems to be still all over the place bit, nothing settled yet.

But then again, when you have stations like Talksport that seem to dedicate significant airtime to Man Utd, how bad they are, how bad the players are, manager is, etc on a daily basis, then no Utd manager will ever get a chance, at least much more than 2 seasons. The story is always "sack the manager, sack the manager, sack the manager". Say it enough, it almost seems like the only correct option to more and more people.

I suspect if Liverpool get off to a sluggish start next season, the media will plan to dedicate significant time trying to get their manager sacked.

Haven’t actually listened to TS today, but it’s certainly being widely reported in the press (and I’m not referring to the red tops) that he will be out regardless of the result tomorrow. The suggestion is that he was told before the Arsenal game.

I’m never sure what to believe, but there does seem to be a certain air of inevitability about it all.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

The media won’t get ETH sacked

Him taking the team to their worst finish in the Prem since 1989 will do that

And it’s been reported across many media outlets that he will be gone after the cup final regardless of result

Swango1980

Visit site
The media won’t get ETH sacked

Him taking the team to their worst finish in the Prem since 1989 will do that

And it’s been reported across many media outlets that he will be gone after the cup final regardless of result
And, personally, I think it is a mistake.

The Utd ownership haven't even sorted themselves out yet. And the squad is so bad, certainly when injuries occur and the cover we have available.

Personally, I'd have been quite content having 3 or 4 years sorting out the upper management, transfer strategy, etc with the same manager in place. Even if results are not that great. Then, after that amount of time, look at the manager/coach of the side if need be.

What will probably happen instead is before they sort themselves out, ownership will get some new manager in. We can only hope this new manager is brilliant and will get Utd competing at top. But, they may well come in and say "we wanna give all the same players a chance", meaning most get another year or 2. Good chance Utd start playing rubbish again, and then they need to look for yet another manager in a year or so. Whereas ETH may already know which players need to go, having had 2 years with them.

Mind you, who is to say ETH wants to stay? It is a poison chalice. Maybe he wants to leave, rather than stay another season and damage his reputation further if the club continues to be a circus?

But, if club had already decided to sack him, I wish they would have just done it there and then. Rather than let all this constant speculation build and build.

Billysboots

Visit site
And, personally, I think it is a mistake.

The Utd ownership haven't even sorted themselves out yet. And the squad is so bad, certainly when injuries occur and the cover we have available.

Personally, I'd have been quite content having 3 or 4 years sorting out the upper management, transfer strategy, etc with the same manager in place. Even if results are not that great. Then, after that amount of time, look at the manager/coach of the side if need be.

What will probably happen instead is before they sort themselves out, ownership will get some new manager in. We can only hope this new manager is brilliant and will get Utd competing at top. But, they may well come in and say "we wanna give all the same players a chance", meaning most get another year or 2. Good chance Utd start playing rubbish again, and then they need to look for yet another manager in a year or so. Whereas ETH may already know which players need to go, having had 2 years with them.

Mind you, who is to say ETH wants to stay? It is a poison chalice. Maybe he wants to leave, rather than stay another season and damage his reputation further if the club continues to be a circus?

But, if club had already decided to sack him, I wish they would have just done it there and then. Rather than let all this constant speculation build and build.

I’m genuinely torn. Really I am.

On the one hand I have huge sympathy with him because of the injury crisis, which is like nothing I have known in fifty years as a fan.

But I am still really mindful of the absolute lack of identity and playing style. I’m less than convinced that even that injury crisis has impacted to such an extent that, two years into his tenure, I still have absolutely no clue just what sort of team ten Hag wants United to be.

And it is for that reason that I suspect his time may be up.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

On the one hand I have huge sympathy with him because of the injury crisis, which is like nothing I have known in fifty years as a fan.

But I am still really mindful of the absolute lack of identity and playing style. I’m less than convinced that even that injury crisis has impacted to such an extent that, two years into his tenure, I still have absolutely no clue just what sort of team ten Hag wants United to be.

I know it’s difficult to tell the character of the man but he lacks presence for me. I don’t get a buzz from him - can he motivate?

Swango1980

Visit site

I ask myself, which players in that squad would be up for a battle when they are up against it. Players who will give 100% to win a 50/50, win a header. Even if they fail, their opponent knows it is a tough battle.

You don't need every player to be like that, but enough to give your opponents a game. And enough to lift their team mates, knowing they have warriors on their side.

Martinez and Casemiro would be the 2 stand out players, probably Shaw. Then maybe Hojlund who is still finding his feet.

Basically, apart from Hojlund who had at least been fit, the players in our side, especially midfield, have been so so lightweight. None of the wingers, nor Bruno, will ever go in 100% for a challenge. In fact, they five you 5%. They just seem so scared of getting hurt. McTomminay may want to get stuck in, but he is nowhere near the play to have a chance anyway.

So, I don't know how any manager can play a nice style of football with those players, because they are bullied out of nearly every game. I look at every other team, and they've players like Rodri, Rice, McAlister, McGinn and even Gallagher. Players who just get stuck in. Even the lower sides have players who have too much for our lightweight bunch.

Would another manager turn those players, who have been available, into dynamic warriors who leave everything out on the pitch? Doubt it, although I'd love it if they could.

Perhaps the Utd players, who have been available, are actually better players than what Chelsea, Newcastle, Villa and Spurs have? Maybe, in a world where all managers are equal, Utd's players would finish 4th or better in the league? But, I really am not so sure

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I ask myself, which players in that squad would be up for a battle when they are up against it. Players who will give 100% to win a 50/50, win a header. Even if they fail, their opponent knows it is a tough battle.

You don't need every player to be like that, but enough to give your opponents a game. And enough to lift their team mates, knowing they have warriors on their side.

Martinez and Casemiro would be the 2 stand out players, probably Shaw. Then maybe Hojlund who is still finding his feet.

Basically, apart from Hojlund who had at least been fit, the players in our side, especially midfield, have been so so lightweight. None of the wingers, nor Bruno, will ever go in 100% for a challenge. In fact, they five you 5%. They just seem so scared of getting hurt. McTomminay may want to get stuck in, but he is nowhere near the play to have a chance anyway.

So, I don't know how any manager can play a nice style of football with those players, because they are bullied out of nearly every game. I look at every other team, and they've players like Rodri, Rice, McAlister, McGinn and even Gallagher. Players who just get stuck in. Even the lower sides have players who have too much for our lightweight bunch.

Would another manager turn those players, who have been available, into dynamic warriors who leave everything out on the pitch? Doubt it, although I'd love it if they could.

Perhaps the Utd players, who have been available, are actually better players than what Chelsea, Newcastle, Villa and Spurs have? Maybe, in a world where all managers are equal, Utd's players would finish 4th or better in the league? But, I really am not so sure

I’d like to see a captain of the Keane mould to really kick some butts. Get rid of any prima Donna’s and get some focus and discipline driven from the shop floor.

Swango1980

Visit site
I’d like to see a captain of the Keane mould to really kick some butts. Get rid of any prima Donna’s and get some focus and discipline driven from the shop floor.
Absolutely.

I even said the same a few years ago. That I'd almost like us to focus on buying a good number of aggressive type players, even if they can't do all the fancy tricks. Spend a year or 2 building a team that is horrible to play against, then slowly bring in your flair players.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Isn’t that part of the issue though! People need to forget the teams/players of the past and allow a manager to create a new identity and style of play.

Current players and managers are always being compared to the past, now I understand how good it would be to recreate that success, but it isn’t going to happen.

Look at Lpool, it was always about Gerard and what they didn’t achieve, Klopp built his team, his way and brought success.

Club legends need to stay in the past and be admired, not used as a stick to beat current players.