The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Again without VAR it was accepted as part of sport. Now we have millions of pounds worth of technology there is no excuse.

Going back to the 3rd penalty shout in that particular game, Ref Taylor made a signal that Young won the ball, when the replay showed it was blatantly obvious he never.
There will be thousands of incidents where the referee will not be 100% convinced either way, but he can only make a black or white decision. He can't say "I feel there is a 51% chance he won the ball, so I'll award 49% of a penalty".

Regardless, in that incident, VAR or not, a penalty would not have been awarded, incorrectly.

I bet Spurs were glad of VAR at the weekend, at least it gave them a glimmer of hope in the latter stages of the game.

samthom99

Banned
Visit site
There will be thousands of incidents where the referee will not be 100% convinced either way, but he can only make a black or white decision. He can't say "I feel there is a 51% chance he won the ball, so I'll award 49% of a penalty".

Regardless, in that incident, VAR or not, a penalty would not have been awarded, incorrectly.

I bet Spurs were glad of VAR at the weekend, at least it gave them a glimmer of hope in the latter stages of the game.
That analogy just doesnt make sense.

In the particular incident i have referenced, it is clear that Ref Taylor thinks young played/won the ball, VAR shows he never. That is a clear and obvious error. The pen wouldnt have been given incorrectly. It has been decided by a panel of paid industry experts that a pen should have been awarded.

Re Spurs Pen, how the heck did Ref Oliver miss the challenge. It was 6ft in front of him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

In the particular incident i have referenced, it is clear that Ref Taylor thinks young played/won the ball, VAR shows he never. That is a clear and obvious error. The pen wouldnt have been given incorrectly. It has been decided by a panel of paid industry experts that a pen should have been awarded.

Re Spurs Pen, how the heck did Ref Oliver miss the challenge. It was 6ft in front of him.
What hope do we have when this is supposedly the best ref in the country?

Screenshot_20240430_132207_Gallery.jpg

Swango1980

Visit site

I think you misunderstood me.

What I meant was, if VAR didn't exist, Forest still would not have got a penalty. The onfield referee didn't see it as a penalty.

We all agree it should have been a penalty. The VAR officials have more to answer for, as to why they thought not after plenty of time to evaluate it

samthom99

Banned
Visit site
I think you misunderstood me.

What I meant was, if VAR didn't exist, Forest still would not have got a penalty. The onfield referee didn't see it as a penalty.

We all agree it should have been a penalty. The VAR officials have more to answer for, as to why they thought not after plenty of time to evaluate it
I never misunderstood you, your point was totally irrelevant ;)

I agree Taylor was let down by the VAR. From his position he gave what he thought was a fair tackle.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Everton fans, I don’t know enough about your situation. Are you concerned by this or is it old news?

There were rumours Moshiri (current owner) was a frontman for Usamanov the Russian Oligarch, once Ukraine kicked off our money problems really started, ie Usamanov was allegedy going to sponsor the new stadium for around £200 million, which would of saved us from all the FFP problems.

Then 777 became involved and bad rumours about them.

We really are in a mess at the top and if 777 pull out we could end up going bankrupt before next season starts meaning another 9 point deduction next season.😩

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We really are in a mess at the top and if 777 pull out we could end up going bankrupt before next season starts meaning another 9 point deduction next season.😩
If it's as bad as it looks, if we beat Luton and Sheffield next two games do you think they may pull the trigger this season before the Arsenal game. Take the 9 points this year?

Swango1980

Visit site
It was 60/40 Forest, not exactly dominating, probably the best stat was 2-0. 👍🏻
What's more, I just had a look at the weekend's results, and the midweek results from last week, where a team won the match. It looks like most of the teams that won their games also had less possession:

Bournemouth beat Brighton 3-0, with 30% possession
Arsenal beat Spurs 3-2, with 39% possession
Everton beat Brentford 1-0, with 48% possession
Everton beat Liverpool 2-0, with 23% possession
Palace beat Newcastle 2-0, with 47% possession
Bournemouth beat Wolves 1-0, with 38% possession
Arsenal beat Chelsea 5-0, with 45% possession

It appears likely that when a team gets a lead in a game, they often defend more, and the opposition is forced to find a goal. The leading team can then just look to counter into the open spaces left behind the defence. It may only really be your Man City's or Liverpool's that regularly dominate possession regardless of the scoreline

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's more, I just had a look at the weekend's results, and the midweek results from last week, where a team won the match. It looks like most of the teams that won their games also had less possession:

Bournemouth beat Brighton 3-0, with 30% possession
Arsenal beat Spurs 3-2, with 39% possession
Everton beat Brentford 1-0, with 48% possession
Everton beat Liverpool 2-0, with 23% possession
Palace beat Newcastle 2-0, with 47% possession
Bournemouth beat Wolves 1-0, with 38% possession
Arsenal beat Chelsea 5-0, with 45% possession

It appears likely that when a team gets a lead in a game, they often defend more, and the opposition is forced to find a goal. The leading team can then just look to counter into the open spaces left behind the defence. It may only really be your Man City's or Liverpool's that regularly dominate possession regardless of the scoreline

Possession isn't the be all and end all as your research has proven.

People band it about without understanding what wins football games. Scoring more goals than the other team

West ham beat Chelsea 3-1 this season we had 24% of the possession

We also beat Brighton 3-1 with 22% possession

We lost to Fulham the other week 2-0 with 58% possession

Possession is all well and good. But it means nothing if you do bugger all with it.

Swango1980

Visit site
Possession isn't the be all and end all as your research has proven.

People band it about without understanding what wins football games. Scoring more goals than the other team

West ham beat Chelsea 3-1 this season we had 24% of the possession

We also beat Brighton 3-1 with 22% possession

We lost to Fulham the other week 2-0 with 58% possession

Possession is all well and good. But it means nothing if you do bugger all with it.
It is the way I felt Man Utd often played against the bigger teams in league during the Ferguson years. Just defend solidly, let them have the ball without being too worried about them doing anything dangerous with it, and then hammer them with quick counter attacks. And that was when we had good players throughout the team.