The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1418

True.

My point was not so much about the expenditure but more to do with his difficulty in integrating new players into the squad and evolving a style of play with those players.

Yes good point - that took longer than expected. He was also unlucky in that Ziyech picked up a couple of injuries; and Havertz contracted Covid - both are only really coming back to full fitness.

Will be sods law that their best, and Werner's, will no doubt coincide with the new manager! Anyway at least its never dull on the Chelsea manager merry-go-round!! ?‍♂️

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did Frank take on the Chelsea job too early in his managerial career? Of course he did - he was nowhere near experienced enough. But - given what the club means to him, and what he means to the club (both hierarchy and supporters) it was impossible for him to turn down. I for one certainly don't blame him for doing so and was very excited at the prospect of his return.

Last season he did incredibly well given the squad at his disposal and the fact his hands were tied on transfers. Most experienced managers would have been delighted with CL qualification and a cup final appearance.

But with the players he brought in (ignore the money as there was plenty banked from Hazard and Morata) the pressure was very much on him to deliver. All looked to be going well when we hit top spot in December, but even the most realistic of us supporters could see there were still massive issues defensively to resolve.

And at a club like Chelsea, where the expectations are high and the pressure to deliver silverware is probably the greatest on any PL manager, the performances since then have been very poor. Even the wins against West Ham and Fulham were very poor from a performance perspective (and I would argue that the cup wins against Morecambe and Luton were too).

So whilst I'm disappointed he has been sacked, it was clear to me that he was struggling to figure out how to turn things around and get the best out of his players. I think therefore it was very much the right decision given the recent results and performances. And with Chelsea only being 5 points off the CL spaces a new man can come in, re-energise the squad, and raise morale. We have a good run of games now where 3 wins out of 4 are easily achievable.

I hope Frank goes away, learns from the experience, gets another club soon where he can continue his development, and perhaps return to the club when he's a touch older, a lot wiser, and when the time is more right for him.

I hope Rafa goes away, learns from the experience, gets another club soon where he can continue his development, and perhaps return to the club when he's a touch older, a lot wiser, and when the time is more right for him.

We all knew you would see sense in the end. (y);)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh I forgot to mention what made me laugh in the Man. United v Liverpool game, when Robertson was chasing down Greenwood when was running in on goal, he shouted at him to try and put him off ?. just like a schoolboy ?

D

Deleted member 1418

Oh I forgot to mention what made me laugh in the Man. United v Liverpool game, when Robertson was chasing down Greenwood when was running in on goal, he shouted at him to try and put him off ?. just like a schoolboy ?

Seen this so many times with my U16s! Have to remind them that it could result in a booking for unsporting behaviour!! ?‍♂️?‍♂️?

As it was a Liverpool player I was hoping the FA would issue a retrospective red card and 3 match ban.........! ? ? ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Rule "interpretation" changes to come into affect after City's non offside goal.

I'm curious as to why they've decided to change mid way through the season. Why change the correct interpretation of a rule? After all it was the correct decision last week ?‍♂️?‍♂️

This has all the finger prints of a Johnson/Hancock/Gove balls up ??

Man City 'offside' goal against Aston Villa would now be penalised, says Premier League - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55814673

Last edited by a moderator:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rule "interpretation" changes to come into affect after City's non offside goal.

I'm curious as to why they've decided to change mid way through the season. Why change the correct interpretation of a rule? After all it was the correct decision last week ?‍♂️?‍♂️

This has all the finger prints of a Johnson/Hancock/Gove balls up ??
Yes it’s like when you need traffic lights at a dangerous junction.
They don’t put them in until someone gets killed.
They should also tell the Lino’s to flag for offside as well.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Be typical if we have our best season in years, qualify for Europe and we don’t get to go!?
Yep.
I could be wrong, but i think our mid 80s high spot was also denied a european campaign. 35years ago. My lad is about the same age now as I was then. Better tell him to start looking forward to the 2056 season...

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep.
I could be wrong, but i think our mid 80s high spot was also denied a european campaign. 35years ago. My lad is about the same age now as I was then. Better tell him to start looking forward to the 2056 season...

Indeed it was, thanks to Liverpool...but we will always have the 1999 intertoto cup glory to bask in!?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Good one touch pass from Laca too. None of this slow build up rubbish.

Pity Tierney isn't fit, and don't like Luiz playing. No idea what's happened to Pablo Mari. The rest of the team is fine, for what is available.