The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tuchel in as the replacement?
He's far and away the favourite in the odds. Maybe he'll be able to connect with Werner and Havertz a bit better and get them performing.

In fairness I think it's a justified sacking. He did well last season but there were no real expectations or pressure on him, he was able to give the youngsters a chance. This season with big money spent they expect results. They're currently 11 points from top in 9th place with no games in hand. With their squad they should at least be firmly in the top 6.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Definitely a fair sacking. He had no shape to his team and when they won it seemed like individual talent shining through in spite of him, not because of him. It was just too early for Lampard - he needs to find his style first because he couldn’t find it at Chelsea.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Taking the job so soon in his managerial career was a mistake. Would have been better to stay at Derby for a couple more seasons and wait for a Premier league job with lower expectations. I don't believe he demanded the new players he got before the start of the season, but the fact is, he has failed to get the best out of them, and at Chelsea there is always a high price to be paid for 'failure'.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chelsea took a gamble on Lampard, especially as his record at Derby wasn't exactly brilliant. Chelsea have shown flashes but not consistent enough bearing in mind the money spent.

It's moot point whether he should have been given time. If its Man U, then he's staying. If it's Chelsea or Watford, he's gone.

Tuchel? ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Taking the job so soon in his managerial career was a mistake. Would have been better to stay at Derby for a couple more seasons and wait for a Premier league job with lower expectations. I don't believe he demanded the new players he got before the start of the season, but the fact is, he has failed to get the best out of them, and at Chelsea there is always a high price to be paid for 'failure'.
In fairness as a Chelsea legend he probably always wanted to manage them one day so if he'd have turned them down - who knows if he would ever get the opportunity again? Unfortunately the opportunity came a bit too early for him. But I get why he couldn't say no.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think there's much danger of Moyes getting another good job in his career after he floundered at United.

United was the poisoned chalice .. anyone following fergie was doomed the fail

They needed prime Jose but sir Alex wouldn't allow it

Moyes has proven he still knows his stuff even with rubbish owners and little transfer budget

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe they used Lampard, they had lost Hazard and had a transfer ban, no decent manager wanted to touch that job so they took Lampard as filler with the thoughts we don't need to give me too much time, some one bigger will be along in 18 months or so and will take the job when we can buy again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe they used Lampard, they had lost Hazard and had a transfer ban, no decent manager wanted to touch that job so they took Lampard as filler with the thoughts we don't need to give me too much time, some one bigger will be along in 18 months or so and will take the job when we can buy again.
I don't disagree with that at all. His only remit was to bring the youngsters through, but he achieved probably a better league position than they expected. In the back of their minds they probably always saw him as a one-year interim manager.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was a sorry to hear Lampard has been sacked but results have not been good and not being near a top 4 spot was his downfall.

No surprise though given Chelsea’s record of sacking managers that have won things.

D

Deleted member 1418

Did Frank take on the Chelsea job too early in his managerial career? Of course he did - he was nowhere near experienced enough. But - given what the club means to him, and what he means to the club (both hierarchy and supporters) it was impossible for him to turn down. I for one certainly don't blame him for doing so and was very excited at the prospect of his return.

Last season he did incredibly well given the squad at his disposal and the fact his hands were tied on transfers. Most experienced managers would have been delighted with CL qualification and a cup final appearance.

But with the players he brought in (ignore the money as there was plenty banked from Hazard and Morata) the pressure was very much on him to deliver. All looked to be going well when we hit top spot in December, but even the most realistic of us supporters could see there were still massive issues defensively to resolve.

And at a club like Chelsea, where the expectations are high and the pressure to deliver silverware is probably the greatest on any PL manager, the performances since then have been very poor. Even the wins against West Ham and Fulham were very poor from a performance perspective (and I would argue that the cup wins against Morecambe and Luton were too).

So whilst I'm disappointed he has been sacked, it was clear to me that he was struggling to figure out how to turn things around and get the best out of his players. I think therefore it was very much the right decision given the recent results and performances. And with Chelsea only being 5 points off the CL spaces a new man can come in, re-energise the squad, and raise morale. We have a good run of games now where 3 wins out of 4 are easily achievable.

I hope Frank goes away, learns from the experience, gets another club soon where he can continue his development, and perhaps return to the club when he's a touch older, a lot wiser, and when the time is more right for him.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Did Frank take on the Chelsea job too early in his managerial career? Of course he did - he was nowhere near experienced enough. But - given what the club means to him, and what he means to the club (both hierarchy and supporters) it was impossible for him to turn down. I for one certainly don't blame him for doing so and was very excited at the prospect of his return.

Last season he did incredibly well given the squad at his disposal and the fact his hands were tied on transfers. Most experienced managers would have been delighted with CL qualification and a cup final appearance.

But with the players he brought in (ignore the money as there was plenty banked from Hazard and Morata) the pressure was very much on him to deliver. All looked to be going well when we hit top spot in December, but even the most realistic of us supporters could see there were still massive issues defensively to resolve.

And at a club like Chelsea, where the expectations are high and the pressure to deliver silverware is probably the greatest on any PL manager, the performances since then have been very poor. Even the wins against West Ham and Fulham were very poor from a performance perspective (and I would argue that the cup wins against Morecambe and Luton were too).

So whilst I'm disappointed he has been sacked, it was clear to me that he was struggling to figure out how to turn things around and get the best out of his players. I think therefore it was very much the right decision given the recent results and performances. And with Chelsea only being 5 points off the CL spaces a new man can come in, re-energise the squad, and raise morale. We have a good run of games now where 3 wins out of 4 are easily achievable.

I hope Frank goes away, learns from the experience, gets another club soon where he can continue his development, and perhaps return to the club when he's a touch older, a lot wiser, and when the time is more right for him.

Or just as likely Tuchel comes in and does bugger all and you finish outside the top 4 which is just as likely. Why the hell appoint someone who will need learning space and personal development time if you aren't willing to give it to him. We know the reason why, no one would have touched the job 18 months ago and so not only did they appoint a club legend but they really were looking at not being interested in giving him any time to develop and fire him as soon as they didn't look like they were going to win the league.

A decent club would have gone, no Frank we do want you as a manager in the future we just need you more developed come back in 5 years or so when you are ready but nope.

D

Deleted member 1418

Or just as likely Tuchel comes in and does bugger all and you finish outside the top 4 which is just as likely. Why the hell appoint someone who will need learning space and personal development time if you aren't willing to give it to him. We know the reason why, no one would have touched the job 18 months ago and so not only did they appoint a club legend but they really were looking at not being interested in giving him any time to develop and fire him as soon as they didn't look like they were going to win the league.

A decent club would have gone, no Frank we do want you as a manager in the future we just need you more developed come back in 5 years or so when you are ready but nope.

Yep whoever comes in - and Tuchel is the favourite - could come in and not change anything with regards to results and performance, but it's not as if Chelsea are entering into unchartered territory in this respect.

Since Abramovich took over I think I'm right in saying that only Manchester United have won more trophies than Chelsea, and we've more or less had triple the number of managers. Not everyone likes his way of doing business on the managerial front - even a significant number of Chelsea fans hate it - but it has proven to be successful time and time again.

I fully expect Frank to return to Chelsea as manager at some point in the future.

D

Deleted member 18588

Chelsea exceeded expectations last season but, ironically that was largely with previous managers' players.

This season doesn't appear to be going as well (still early days) and yet the club spent somewhere around £250 million during the summer.

Might that have had a big influence upon the owner's decision to get rid of Lampard?

D

Deleted member 1418

Chelsea exceeded expectations last season but, ironically that was largely with previous managers' players.

This season doesn't appear to be going as well (still early days) and yet the club spent somewhere around £250 million during the summer.

Might that have had a big influence upon the owner's decision to get rid of Lampard?

Possibly, but I think people are taking the £250m at face value and forget that the club banked roughly £160 million from the Hazard and Morata transfers (more is still to come from Hazard if he stays at Real) as well as the CL qualification cash. So the outlay on new players probably worked out to £20 million per player, which is nothing in modern day football.

In my opinion the decision was purely based on results/performances and the concern that the team would continue to lose touch wirh the CL spaces.

Given Lampard's status at Chelsea I'm sure the decision was a tough one - no other Chelsea manager has received a public message of thanks from the owner.

Lampard has also released a statement that shows a lot of class too.

D

Deleted member 18588

Possibly, but I think people are taking the £250m at face value and forget that the club banked roughly £160 million from the Hazard and Morata transfers (more is still to come from Hazard if he stays at Real) as well as the CL qualification cash. So the outlay on new players probably worked out to £20 million per player, which is nothing in modern day football.

In my opinion the decision was purely based on results/performances and the concern that the team would continue to lose touch wirh the CL spaces.

Given Lampard's status at Chelsea I'm sure the decision was a tough one - no other Chelsea manager has received a public message of thanks from the owner.

Lampard has also released a statement that shows a lot of class too.
True.

My point was not so much about the expenditure but more to do with his difficulty in integrating new players into the squad and evolving a style of play with those players.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wycombe played well tonight especially first half but Spurs fitness and quality was to much for them in the end, Ndombele is showing regularly what a class player he is, good to see Winks having a good game he’s a different player when he plays more direct.