The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Heysel had a huge affect on many clubs, away of course from the far more important human loss.

My team came 3rd in the league in 1990/91 season, our best ever finish, but were denied the opportunity to play in Europe. If we had got a place, possibly we would have got the money to keep the team together and then you never know.......and we never will

I was just about to post the same comment. From memory Liverpool were allowed to come in without having to start afresh to qualify the next season, they asked to come in and were granted permission immediately even though we were playing all season on the basis that Liverpool were banned.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think it’s impossible to say which side is better as we’re comparing football from different eras. Would this City of today beat the United of 24 years ago? Possibly.

But even if City win tomorrow, and I certainly expect them to, the United treble of 1998/99 still ranks ahead of it for me purely because United won theirs with half a dozen regular 1st team players who played together in the youth team.

That makes the United treble truly unique. No club will ever do that again.
They did Billy but nigh on with the same team the year before they were trophy less. But does that mean their achievement is any the less. Not at all, if anything it is more impressive. Then in the same sense City have done it over three years. Like I say it’s a comparison that can be compared but never bettered only matched.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I agree with you, for all the brilliant football City play you can’t get away from the fact that they threw money at their success , Man Uniteds treble was achieved a different way and that makes it more of a achievement for me.
The year UTD won the treble they bought the worlds most expensive defender at the time, Jaap Stam for £10 million and the clubs most expensive signing at the time Dwight Yorke for 12.6 million. Patrick Kluivert was on the verge of signing for £9 million but the deal fell through.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
The year UTD won the treble they bought the worlds most expensive defender at the time, Jaap Stam for £10 million and the clubs most expensive signing at the time Dwight Yorke for 12.6 million. Patrick Kluivert was on the verge of signing for £9 million but the deal fell through.
Spending what you earn is different to sports washing. Whenever. However.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Spending what you earn is different to sports washing. Whenever. However.
The spending what we spent was to get City to the top table, that has already been discussed. We have owners who have put money in, others have took money out permanently. Utd fans have suffered since the Glaziers have become greedy owners. I think there will be a few parties once they have gone.

D

Deleted member 15344

Heysel had a huge affect on many clubs, away of course from the far more important human loss.

My team came 3rd in the league in 1990/91 season, our best ever finish, but were denied the opportunity to play in Europe. If we had got a place, possibly we would have got the money to keep the team together and then you never know.......and we never will
Wasn’t it just the top two going into Europe back then ? We came 2nd and into the UEFA Cup after coming back into Europe after serving the extra year ban - the season before we won the league but didn’t play in the EC and Villa went into the UEFA Cup for coming secondb

Skytot

Visit site
Utd only managed 79pts -1999
City -89pts and took foot of gas
City had to play Chelsea, Arsenal, and their bitter rivals in the final ..
City were reigning Champions entering the CHAMPIONS league- Utd wasn’t .
Utd had more home grown players.
City haven’t even won the treble yet !

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Utd only managed 79pts -1999
City -89pts and took foot of gas
City had to play Chelsea, Arsenal, and their bitter rivals in the final ..
City were reigning Champions entering the CHAMPIONS league- Utd wasn’t .
Utd had more home grown players.
City haven’t even won the treble yet !

Some very valid points

The one that always bugs me is champion league qualification. Champs only

Winners of the league
Fa cup (plus equivalent in other countries)
Europa League
Champs league previous year

Keep league cup and conference winners getting Europa

2nd to 5th get Europa , 6-7 get conference

No extra places if same teams win the double

Make it a proper champs league

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some very valid points

The one that always bugs me is champion league qualification. Champs only

Winners of the league
Fa cup (plus equivalent in other countries)
Europa League
Champs league previous year

Keep league cup and conference winners getting Europa

2nd to 5th get Europa , 6-7 get conference

No extra places if same teams win the double

Make it a proper champs league
Like it used to be Champions only !
Unfortunetly money is involved.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't it a shame.

Would be brilliant
Money has changed the game some good some not so.
years ago the CL was a cup comp so nowhere near the amount of games played so less cash. But less games for the players.
Some CL games are boring but a home and away cup tie never is.

but it has brought other clubs into it so more cash for them. That’s a good thing.

But having things on a league basis means you need a big squad.
That sometimes hurts their PL form.
Great for West Ham though. ;)

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
It wo
Isn't it a shame.

Would be brilliant
It wouldnt be brilliant at all. Manchester City beating minnows from Poland,Denmark,Leichtenstein, Moldova etc etc would be laughable. It would make the competition weaker. Would you pay Sky/BT/A.N.OTHER to watch such dross??

The CL as it is right now is as close to a European super league as they can get without a breakaway ala LIVGolf.
The Europa would be 100% stronger than the CL. Personally i am torn today. I love Italian football but despise there thug fans. I know its not every club but i think theres a huge football thuggery culture within Italian football generally speaking. Equally i dont agree with sportswashing so i've decided the lesser of the 2 evils is a Inter Milan win.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It wo

It wouldnt be brilliant at all. Manchester City beating minnows from Poland,Denmark,Leichtenstein, Moldova etc etc would be laughable. It would make the competition weaker. Would you pay Sky/BT/A.N.OTHER to watch such dross??

The CL as it is right now is as close to a European super league as they can get without a breakaway ala LIVGolf.
The Europa would be 100% stronger than the CL. Personally i am torn today. I love Italian football but despise there thug fans. I know its not every club but i think theres a huge football thuggery culture within Italian football generally speaking. Equally i dont agree with sportswashing so i've decided the lesser of the 2 evils is a Inter Milan win.

In your opinion.

At least the winnings would be actual champions

Finishing 3rd in the premier league is not champs

But winning a fa cup is

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
In your opinion.

At least the winnings would be actual champions

Finishing 3rd in the premier league is not champs

But winning a fa cup is

It’s a bit of a mockery to call it a Champions league tbh…
Real Madrid, 3 of their last 4 wins they didn`t win La Liga.
Chelsea`s 2 wins they came 6th and 4th in England.
Liverpool were runners-up when they beat Spurs, who qualified in 4th.

Still fingers crossed City win it tonight, at least they were Champions last year… Inter only came 2nd.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a bit of a mockery to call it a Champions league tbh…
Real Madrid, 3 of their last 4 wins they didn`t win La Liga.
Chelsea`s 2 wins they came 6th and 4th in England.
Liverpool were runners-up when they beat Spurs, who qualified in 4th.

Still fingers crossed City win it tonight, at least they were Champions last year… Inter only came 2nd.

Exactly, change the name at least then it would be acceptable

Tashyboy

Visit site
I want a decent game tonight. If it turns into a festival of rolling around on the floor, holding your face, it's going off, and the Canadian Open is going on!😄
I think the ref is the same ref who did the City v Madrid game. A nice Polish chappie who took no crap. 👍

Last edited: