The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
😂 do you think it’s prob because it’s the one European Comp that Everton won 🤔😉

Cup Winners was always the 3rd tier cup - could get some very random teams in their , university of Dublin for example where as the the UEFA cup was far stronger due to only one team in the European Cup at the time.

The top teams very rarely were in the Cup Winners Cup
It may have been different if it was not for Heysel disaster. Everton had a great team during that period.

D

Deleted member 15344

It may have been different if it was not for Heysel disaster. Everton had a great team during that period.

A lot of things could have been different if it wasn’t for Heysel - both had great teams around that time. The Liverpool side of 85/86 prob would have done well in the EC as well as the 88 teams , same with the 85 and 87 Everton teams

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
At last, someone taking a stand. Appears tht Clive Tyldesley is stepping down from commentating onTalksport as he was not comfortbale promoting gambling companies and quoting odds during commentaries.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saw the question posed on Twitter...If City beat Inter would you consider their treble winning squad better that the United squad from 1999?

Had to use Google to get the 99 squad list for United and was surprised how week it was below the first XI. As a squad I think City are far stronger but was surprised when I picked a combined team that it had 6 Utd and 5 City players in it, although could easily have gone for Ederson over Schmeichel as it was a toss up between those two.

So if you had to pick a combined XI who would you go for? Mine would be:

1. Schmeichel
2. Walker 4. Dias 6. Stam 3. Irwin
7. De Bruyne 8. Gundogan 5. Keane 11. Giggs
10. Scholes
9.Haaland

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Saw the question posed on Twitter...If City beat Inter would you consider their treble winning squad better that the United squad from 1999?

Had to use Google to get the 99 squad list for United and was surprised how week it was below the first XI. As a squad I think City are far stronger but was surprised when I picked a combined team that it had 6 Utd and 5 City players in it, although could easily have gone for Ederson over Schmeichel as it was a toss up between those two.

1. Schmeichel
10. Scholes
9.Haaland

Its hard to compare players even from 1999 to now IMO.

What's impressive about the United teams treble to me was that a lot of the key guys were home grown.

Not sure City can claim anyone other than Foden and Lewis who have really played a key part in theirs? Neither of which are likely to start tomorrow but have played their parts across the season.

Swango1980

Visit site

1. Schmeichel
10. Scholes
9.Haaland
United had some immense players in that front 11. Although, apart from the strikers (Sheringham and Ole), the rest of the squad players are probably under-rated. Many would have played an important role that season, not to mention the fact United had the heart of their midfield suspended for the final.

Also, in todays game the Premier League sides are generally way ahead of most other European teams / leagues. Been that way for a few years, even if another European side end up winning Champions League, the Premier League sides are still very very strong when looking at odds to win.

Back at the end of the 90's, the strength or European teams was so so much better. Man Utd had Barcelona and Bayern in their group (and Bayern in the final obviously).

Barcelona had players like Reiziger, Figo, Rivaldo, Cocu, Luis Enrique, Zenden and Xavi.

Bayern had players like Kahn, Matthaus and Effenberg.

United had Inter in QF, who had players like Ronaldo, Pagliuca, Zanetti, Djorkaeff, Winter, Roberto Baggio, Simeone, Pirlo and Zamorano.

United had Juventus in Semi, who had players like Zidane, Peruzzi, Montero, Conte, F. Inzaghi, Deychamps, Davids and Fonseca.

Apart from Brondby in the group stages, who we absolutely smashed, we were playing pretty legendary sides, who had quite a few legendary players. United might have had to rely on those last minute goals in the final, but throughout the season they were brilliant. Even when coming from behind against Juventus, United created so many good chances, and the players just seemed to get better and better when their backs were against the wall. Beckham was incredible that season, especially with 2 strikers up front from a possible 4, he just created chance after chance after chance. Not to mention coming up with some crucial goals. I think he was second in the footballer of the year, behind Rivaldo (although I always thought there was a bias towards Spanish / Italian clubs in that award)

Man City are immense this season, no doubt about it. If they win, which I expect, they absolutely deserve it. They will have legendary players themselves, who will be remembered through the ages. But, comparing the two is impossible, and nothing that can ever be proved. The treble was never going to not be repeated, and when it happens it doesn't take the shine of 1999. And, when a team wins the quadruple, it won't take the shine off what City are looking to achieve this season.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Always nice to have a discussion re different clubs from different eras. One thing that’s unique about Citys position at the moment is they have won 3 prem titles on the spin. The only other team to do it was one of fergies Utd teams so there’s a comparison there. City IF they win the champs league will then be in the discussion of comparing with when Utd won the Prem, FA Cup and Champs league with a different team. In effect City at the moment are compared with two different Utd squads/teams. So where do you start. Bottom line the Utd fans had a hell of a lot to crow about over a long period of Fergies Tenure. He built a fair few dynasties. The same can be said about Peps time at City. One thing they both have in common is their uncompromising desire to show players the door who do not perform, unsettle the Squad, think they’re two big for their boots. Or do not share their single minded philosophy that winning and winning trophies is all that count. What they also did was win whilst playing the beautiful game the way it should be played.
Am old enough ( 60 ) to have followed City and Utd from a time when they were both Rammel. Utd just happened to have the right manager at the time when the Prem league started. I remember when Fergie stole Giggs off City 😉 when Denis Law relegated Utd 😉 None of it true, but why let truth get in the way of a good story. The point is that Utd have had years of watching, Giggs, Cantona, Beckham etc, etc. Now am watching KDB, HAALAND, Silvas etc etc. And if someone can convince me that one set of players is better than the other. He is a better man than me.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
For me, the current City team is almost better. More goal scored, less goals conceded. 10 more points. But will they win tomorrow night? Get that win and that nails it. City are better

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think it’s impossible to say which side is better as we’re comparing football from different eras. Would this City of today beat the United of 24 years ago? Possibly.

But even if City win tomorrow, and I certainly expect them to, the United treble of 1998/99 still ranks ahead of it for me purely because United won theirs with half a dozen regular 1st team players who played together in the youth team.

That makes the United treble truly unique. No club will ever do that again.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Chances are a bottom half side of today beats the Man Utd of 1999 with relative ease due to the increased fitness and overall tactical improvements.

You should only really be compared with your peers. Anything else is willy waving without first checking your girth.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think it’s impossible to say which side is better as we’re comparing football from different eras. Would this City of today beat the United of 24 years ago? Possibly.

But even if City win tomorrow, and I certainly expect them to, the United treble of 1998/99 still ranks ahead of it for me purely because United won theirs with half a dozen regular 1st team players who played together in the youth team.

That makes the United treble truly unique. No club will ever do that again.

I agree with you, for all the brilliant football City play you can’t get away from the fact that they threw money at their success , Man Uniteds treble was achieved a different way and that makes it more of a achievement for me.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

1. Schmeichel
10. Scholes
9.Haaland

I'd go with a slightly different formation and I'd have Fergie as the manager.

Schmeichel
Walker, Dias, Stam, Irwin
Keane, De Bruyne, Scholes
Beckham, Haaland, Giggs.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with you, for all the brilliant football City play you can’t get away from the fact that they threw money at their success , Man Uniteds treble was achieved a different way and that makes it more of a achievement for me.
Utd had an impressive quota of home grown players at that time but they also threw money at the team on an annual basis. They regularly broke the transfer record. Let's not get too misty eyed about them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Utd had an impressive quota of home grown players at that time but they also threw money at the team on an annual basis. They regularly broke the transfer record. Let's not get too misty eyed about them.

This is spot on. Apparently it's always fine because they "earned" said money through success on the pitch .. however it's never remembered that because of the good fortune to get all the class of 92 though the academy they saved a fortune.. pushed the league then built off the back of it

Constantly buying other teams top players

We needed chelsea and city to break the monotony of the league

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A lot of things could have been different if it wasn’t for Heysel - both had great teams around that time. The Liverpool side of 85/86 prob would have done well in the EC as well as the 88 teams , same with the 85 and 87 Everton teams
Heysel had a huge affect on many clubs, away of course from the far more important human loss.

My team came 3rd in the league in 1990/91 season, our best ever finish, but were denied the opportunity to play in Europe. If we had got a place, possibly we would have got the money to keep the team together and then you never know.......and we never will

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
They would generally ad one player per season. The more you spent during their eras when compared to their competition isn't even close.

Utd under Fergie spent I believe, less than Liverpool, spurs, Chelsea and City...

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Nobody is ignoring the fact that United spent money.

My point was focusing primarily on the fact that they won a treble with over half of the regular 1st team of that era being mates from the youth team.

Personally, I think that’s actually worth getting misty eyed about. The game now demands instant results. The fans demand that, owners demand it. Building sides the way Ferguson built that one is something we will never see again, and I think that’s a real shame.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

My point was focusing primarily on the fact that they won a treble with over half of the regular 1st team of that era being mates from the youth team.

Personally, I think that’s actually worth getting misty eyed about. The game now demands instant results. The fans demand that, owners demand it. Building sides the way Ferguson built that one is something we will never see again, and I think that’s a real shame.
Agree, big teams don't build gradually now, that time has gone. Smaller teams can but then they get raided by the bigger teams. It was more interesting, watching a club build bit by bit, but that time is no more 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 15344

The treble that United won will always be held in higher esteem, I’ll also rate our treble in 84 as well. The United side in 99 had a core of club developed players , that was enhanced with smart buys like Stam and Yorke that season.

Until it’s all sorted at the moment there will be the * in regards the City trophies and potential treble until all those charges are sorted - fantastic squad and players , but it’s potentially been built on financial cheating