The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

I'd disagree with that. You could only qualify for the Cup winners Cup by actually winning something. The uefa Cup, although much stronger than the current Europa league, didn't need you to actually win anything. This balanced them out for me.

The Europa Conference has no real comparable trophy. I get your point but the Cup winners Cup was a much stronger tournament, it had more credibility.

😂 do you think it’s prob because it’s the one European Comp that Everton won 🤔😉

Cup Winners was always the 3rd tier cup - could get some very random teams in their , university of Dublin for example where as the the UEFA cup was far stronger due to only one team in the European Cup at the time.

The top teams very rarely were in the Cup Winners Cup

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From Wiki: "The tournament ran for 39 seasons, with the final edition held in 1998–99, after which it was discontinued and merged into the UEFA Cup."

UEFA is effectively the Europa League. And if you win the FA Cup now you qualify for the Europa League, right?

@Lord Tyrion said:
You could only qualify for the Cup winners Cup by actually winning something.
Technically incorrect as well though. If you won the cup but also qualified for the Champion's League by league position, the cup runners-up would take your Cup Winner's spot.

So you were both wrong. :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
From Wiki: "The tournament ran for 39 seasons, with the final edition held in 1998–99, after which it was discontinued and merged into the UEFA Cup."

UEFA is effectively the Europa League. And if you win the FA Cup now you qualify for the Europa League, right?

Technically incorrect as well though. If you won the cup but also qualified for the Champion's League by league position, the cup runners-up would take your Cup Winner's spot.

So you were both wrong. :ROFLMAO:
Ha Ha, I'd forgotten about that. At least you still had to make it to a final (hear that back peddling :ROFLMAO: )

D

Deleted member 15344

It was a good comp in the past - and was always good to have 3 European Comps and didn’t think it was right when it merged with UEFA Cup

The conference league gives a lot of teams a chance to win a European Trophy - Brighton will have a great chance next year

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was a good comp in the past - and was always good to have 3 European Comps and didn’t think it was right when it merged with UEFA Cup

The conference league gives a lot of teams a chance to win a European Trophy - Brighton will have a great chance next year
Or they'll have their squad gutted by the likes of Liverpool & Chelsea, struggle to compete on multiple fronts and end up struggling to avoid relegation. Who knows.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

They're in the Europa League too... But could drop down to conference if they finish third in their Europa group

Swango1980

Visit site
Does the summer transfer window open on 14th June 2023 in England? If so, I'm slightly confused how Liverpool have already signed Mac Allister. Would it not be more accurate to say that Liverpool have agreed a fee with Brighton and personal terms with Mac Allister, and are SET to sign him when the window opens?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does the summer transfer window open on 14th June 2023 in England? If so, I'm slightly confused how Liverpool have already signed Mac Allister. Would it not be more accurate to say that Liverpool have agreed a fee with Brighton and personal terms with Mac Allister, and are SET to sign him when the window opens?
Why the need for pedantry? If the deal is done, for all intents and purposes, he is signed. Surely the deadline only decides when he's actually allowed to register and play for a new team, but there's no games between now and then so it's irrelevant.

Swango1980

Visit site
Why the need for pedantry? If the deal is done, for all intents and purposes, he is signed. Surely the deadline only decides when he's actually allowed to register and play for a new team, but there's no games between now and then so it's irrelevant.
Because, what is the point in a transfer window, if contracts can be signed before it? Theoretically, if Real Madrid came in this weekend, and offered Brighton £60 million for him, and higher wages, could he just go there? Or is he already ties down to Liverpool?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because, what is the point in a transfer window, if contracts can be signed before it? Theoretically, if Real Madrid came in this weekend, and offered Brighton £60 million for him, and higher wages, could he just go there? Or is he already ties down to Liverpool?
Contracts and fees are all agreed, the deadline is just the date when you officially register the play, enabling them to play for the club. What does it matter? :LOL:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Delighted to hear from my old season ticket lot. The daughter (now the social media manager) got 2 tickets for her brothers as she first team staff. Then a coach wasn't using 2 tickets so her mum and dad got to go aswell.

Not a note deserving family.

Sounds like they had a great night ☺️

Swango1980

Visit site
Contracts and fees are all agreed, the deadline is just the date when you officially register the play, enabling them to play for the club. What does it matter? :LOL:
I'm not trying to suggest any controversy, it is all clearly legit. I was just surprised that the news suggest that the transfer is complete, when the transfer window isn't even open yet. It then got me thinking, could another club come in and hijack it? I'm assuming definitely not. But, if Mac Allister was not yet officially a Liverpool player, could a Real Madrid or Chelsea or Newcastle just come in and offer lots more money? If not, then presumably that is because contracts have been signed. If that is a case, can a player sign a contract with another club mid season, agreeing to join them as soon as the transfer window opens?

Basically, just wondering how a transfer window works, if players can sign contracts with other clubs outside the transfer window.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not trying to suggest any controversy, it is all clearly legit. I was just surprised that the news suggest that the transfer is complete, when the transfer window isn't even open yet. It then got me thinking, could another club come in and hijack it? I'm assuming definitely not. But, if Mac Allister was not yet officially a Liverpool player, could a Real Madrid or Chelsea or Newcastle just come in and offer lots more money? If not, then presumably that is because contracts have been signed. If that is a case, can a player sign a contract with another club mid season, agreeing to join them as soon as the transfer window opens?

Basically, just wondering how a transfer window works, if players can sign contracts with other clubs outside the transfer window.
This happens all the time. Player has six months left on his contract with club A, club B offers him a contract to sign for the following season when his present one is finished. He signs it, it's a done deal, but he carries on playing for club A until that time. This used to be a great tactic on Football Manager / Championship Manager for me anyway.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Maybe he’s post-dated his signature, and maybe he’s signed a letter of intent. Clearly, as there’s a fee involved he’s not out of contract.

D

Deleted member 15344

Deals always get announced and signed before the transfer window. Right now though he is still registered as a Brighton player and that will change once the paperwork is submitted on the day the window opens