The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As I alluded to in my last post, Brian, regular exposure to competition against teams from the traditional bigger leagues in Europe brings with it a degree of pedigree or experience.

Ten Hag had managed across several seasons in both the Champion’s League and Europa Leagues, with varying degrees of success, and had also presided over an Ajax side which produced a number of the most exciting young players in Europe.

Whilst I see the point you are trying to make, with the best will in the world Postecoglou doesn’t currently have that level of exposure to the best Europe has to offer. I can’t believe for one moment that, when Conte and Spurs parted company, Daniel Levy had Postecoglou at the top of his list.

I agree with your last point but would also add if he was Levy’s #1 target, Spurs are doomed. I think Spurs are in a similar position Utd were a couple of seasons back. They’ll either drift to mid table mediocrity or push on. They need to sell Kane to move forward. Take the money and buy 2-3 really good players, as half of the current squad is bang average.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
No argument here, just pointing out the inconsistency in the statement.

Whether it not it helps it’s still more than some managers come with.

I wasn’t comparing the Scottish league to England or any other, I merely pointed out he has a good attacking brand of football management.

But not arguing, I’m but a provincial Scottish lower league supporter who has no right to opine.

I love the attacking style of football Postecoglou has had Celtic playing. If he brings that to Spurs the fans will doubtless take to him very quickly.

That doesn’t mean I don’t have my doubts. And I doubt very much I will be alone. It’s a huge leap from the lower Greek leagues and a couple of seasons in Scotland to the top half of the Premier League, even with a single season in the Champion’s League to back that up.

That’s not snobbery, before anyone else puts the boot in. I’m sure pretty much any pundit worth the name would say the same.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love the attacking style of football Postecoglou has had Celtic playing. If he brings that to Spurs the fans will doubtless take to him very quickly.

That doesn’t mean I don’t have my doubts. And I doubt very much I will be alone. It’s a huge leap from the lower Greek leagues and a couple of seasons in Scotland to the top half of the Premier League, even with a single season in the Champion’s League to back that up.

That’s not snobbery, before anyone else puts the boot in. I’m sure pretty much any pundit worth the name would say the same.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I think he might surprise. Pochettino has Spurs playing good attacking football and that suited many of the players very well. It was when Mourinho and Conte (both vastly Euro-experienced managers) tried the more defensive style, almost stifling type of game, that they went turd shaped. The player, to my eye, just didn't seem to like it or adapt to it.

I'm no fan of Celtic but felt they were unlucky in a couple of those European games and with better players (which he will have at Spurs) they wouldn't have gotten picked off quite like they did.

But it's all opinion and as I'm not a Spurs fan I'm not in a position to be either under or overwhelmed by the appointment.

D

Deleted member 15344

Spurs have tried - established Prem manager in Nunes , tried winners in Mourinho and Conte , they even sacked a winner the day before a final

Listening to pundits they all seem very impressed by Postecoglou and there is every chance he could do well there - one thing that was mentioned a number of times was how well his man management is

It wouldn’t surprise me if he does well

Swango1980

Visit site
Kenny Dalgliesh and John Barnes thought the same thing.

But I take the general consensus that any experience managing in Scotland is null and void in TBLINW.
Didn't necessarily say it was null and void, just treated with significant caution. Hence why it could be considered underwhelming.

At same time, what other manager would would be better? Even an overwhelming manager could easily fail. Listening to Spurs fans on Talksport, it sounds like any manager is doomed to failure when Levy is about

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didn't necessarily say it was null and void, just treated with significant caution. Hence why it could be considered underwhelming.

At same time, what other manager would would be better? Even an overwhelming manager could easily fail. Listening to Spurs fans on Talksport, it sounds like any manager is doomed to failure when Levy is about
As I said to Billy, it's all opinions.

I agree on the latter sentiment. They have already seen two successful and experiences managers fail and so does this not point to a root cause beyond the obvious symptomatic ones.

I do genuinely believe that the spurs players like Son and Kane (if he stays) are more effective when the brand of football is more flowing and attacking.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do think a big elephant in the Spurs room is; what happened with Naglesmaan? He was the number one, must have target way back. Did he not like what he heard, or was it Spurs that didn't feel the vibe when hey finally met?

Billysboots

Visit site
I do think a big elephant in the Spurs room is; what happened with Naglesmaan? He was the number one, must have target way back. Did he not like what he heard, or was it Spurs that didn't feel the vibe when hey finally met?

Wasn’t the suggestion made somewhere that he wasn’t interested?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wasn’t the suggestion made somewhere that he wasn’t interested?
I don't know. Last I read was that he had agreed to meet and then I didn't see anything else. I think they may have had several number 1 targets but surely some will have been made wary by the Conte scenario, such a public outburst is not a sign of a healthy operation.

Billysboots

Visit site
I don't know. Last I read was that he had agreed to meet and then I didn't see anything else. I think they may have had several number 1 targets but surely some will have been made wary by the Conte scenario, such a public outburst is not a sign of a healthy operation.

As has been said, the one constant throughout their woes has been Levy. None of us can know for sure, but I get a sneaky feeling he might be rather difficult to work with!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
As has been said, the one constant throughout their woes has been Levy. None of us can know for sure, but I get a sneaky feeling he might be rather difficult to work with!
That's what I meant about root cause rather than the symptoms that we see. It's clear that he viewed commercial revenue and fiscal stability over the actual football and success.

It's almost like he's happy with mediocrity as long as it's bringing millions in.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
For me, the thing with spurs is who is available? the calibre some are suggesting is necessary, the people just aren't available.

That, combined with the fact that it seems Kane is on his way, the board seem to not want to back the manager. Or if they do, it'll be at the expense of Kane... The stadium is incredible, genuinely. But they've gotta pay for it somehow and I just don't see how they get out of the slump the club as a whole, not just the team, is in.

They could all get together, push in the same direction and move forward. But the evidence suggests otherwise, in my view.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
For me, the thing with spurs is who is available? the calibre some are suggesting is necessary, the people just aren't available.

That, combined with the fact that it seems Kane is on his way, the board seem to not want to back the manager. Or if they do, it'll be at the expense of Kane... The stadium is incredible, genuinely. But they've gotta pay for it somehow and I just don't see how they get out of the slump the club as a whole, not just the team, is in.

They could all get together, push in the same direction and move forward. But the evidence suggests otherwise, in my view.
Lets get it right, everybody bar Pep and Klopp is available for the right fee. Spurs are stuck in a position that the likes of Liverpool have been in prior to Klopp. I know the mickeys won the odd trophy here and there but the fans expectations were incredibly higher than what any of there teams were capable of producing. With the right structure they have shown success can be acheived.

I think it might strengthen Spurs hand with having a lesser known manager. Pochettino was relatively unknown when he turned up from Southampton. They've had Conte and Mourinho too. Real top top quality experienced managers that failed.

Maybe the stadium is a huge financial noose around the neck of Spurs which is restricting mega investment. I listenend to Wenger a few weeks back where he stated the cost of the new stadium had a huge financial impact on improving the team. If Postecoglu can galvanise the squad, instill a good work ethic and team togetherness i think he will do a decent job. Top 6 with no European football next season should be the target. The spurs fans will also have a massive role to play in how the team progresses.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think spurs need to go for Moyes .. a steady hand to get them back to basics and ready to hand over when the moment is needed

Or if kane goes get big Sam in.. gonna need him

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Anyone else seen the PIF have just taken control of r 4 (cant remember the teams but link below) Saudi football teams?

Raises a lot of questions for me, but the biggest one - can Saudi teams buy players from Newcastle and inflate their income?

Swango1980

Visit site
Anyone else seen the PIF have just taken control of r 4 (cant remember the teams but link below) Saudi football teams?

Raises a lot of questions for me, but the biggest one - can Saudi teams buy players from Newcastle and inflate their income?
We'll soon find out. If they buy Matty Longstaff for £200 million, we'll have our answer.