The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

It could be.. but Saudi don't seem to stop - and China did quite quickly!

I don't see it happening as quick as golf, football is far too tribal etc. and as @Beezerk points out - no access to CL etc. which is the pinnacle... But time will tell for sure!
There's already Israeli teams playing in Europe, if the Saudi's throw enough money at it and hang in there who's to say we won't have a Saudi team winning the Champion's League in 15 to 20 years.

There is next to zero chance of any Saudi teams being involved in any major European comps - it will be a retirement place for footballers at the end of their career

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
There is next to zero chance of any Saudi teams being involved in any major European comps - it will be a retirement place for footballers at the end of their career

I agree to an extent.

I mean FFP just wouldn't work would it :ROFLMAO:

But Saudi don't often spend all this money for nothing. That's my fear!

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Money is the driver in football now. Look how much has changed in the last thirty years. If the Saudi's want it and are prepared to throw enough money at it it definitely could happen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, golfers who took the Saudi money could still play in and win the majors, for a footballer they’ll never win anything of note again. I’m expecting an influx of players nearing the end of the careers to go over, maybe Kane or Salah in a few years but for now Champions League and Premiership titles is what matters.
When it was the Chinese and Russian leagues chucking money around, it seemed to be largely Brazilian and African players who went for it. I figured it was because they grew up in poor communities and the chance to make as much money as possible to send home was important to them. As you say, for a player who was already from a comfortable background, there was just zero prestige to going and playing over there if you were still in your prime. Going there at 35+ makes some sense because the standard is lower so you can continue playing for a few years longer and make a quick buck to boost the retirement fund.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
If that’s right, that could be the buy of the summer.

Well Fabrizio Romano has reported it - so it must be true! Release clause was rumored to be lower than originally though - and it was!!

Frees up more cash for Liverpool to spend elsewhere this summer too.

Swango1980

Visit site
Kante just signed for Al ittihad (where Benzema has gone)

100m Euro per season salary....
I wonder is Saudi Arabia could be a good plan for teams trying to "get around" financial fair play?

If you are a team who wants to offload players, to clubs who are willing to pay a bit of money, and match or better the transferred players wages, Saudi Arabia could be a great plan. Chelsea could contact Saudi Arabian clubs an offer to buy a few of their players for inflated prices. Maybe Man Utd could convince Harry Maguire Saudi Arabia is a lovely place to play football.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I wonder is Saudi Arabia could be a good plan for teams trying to "get around" financial fair play?

If you are a team who wants to offload players, to clubs who are willing to pay a bit of money, and match or better the transferred players wages, Saudi Arabia could be a great plan. Chelsea could contact Saudi Arabian clubs an offer to buy a few of their players for inflated prices. Maybe Man Utd could convince Harry Maguire Saudi Arabia is a lovely place to play football.

They seem to only be taking free transfers for now... But it could change!

Swango1980

Visit site
They seem to only be taking free transfers for now... But it could change!
Yeah, although I was just thinking of contracted players that clubs want to get rid off, but not likely to move as they are on high salaries that others will not match. Saudi Arabian sides may quite like such players, especially if they are not in the twilights of their careers.

On another note, would love to see Phil Jones over in Saudi Arabia, and win their Player of the Season

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah, although I was just thinking of contracted players that clubs want to get rid off, but not likely to move as they are on high salaries that others will not match. Saudi Arabian sides may quite like such players, especially if they are not in the twilights of their careers.

On another note, would love to see Phil Jones over in Saudi Arabia, and win their Player of the Season

Absolutely pocketing Ronaldo and Benzema :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 18121

Apparently Messi has chosen Miami, so the Ronaldo Messi Saudi showdown won't be happening.

What I enjoyed about that story is that "he's not going to Saudi for the money".... Yet the Miami deal has got big contracts with apple and adidas.

So I hardly think he's going to be out of pocket.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Guess it’s not a surprise it was going to kick off

Yet if English fans were the naughty party the book would be thrown but it will be swept under the carpet.