The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I loved Huddlestone, built like a brick :poop:house but played like Pirlo! I still think he struck a ball purer than anyone I've ever seen. When he struck a shot on his laces nobody was stopping it.
Reminded me of Bobby Charlton in his day, scorer of great goals!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Anyone else seen the PIF have just taken control of r 4 (cant remember the teams but link below) Saudi football teams?

Raises a lot of questions for me, but the biggest one - can Saudi teams buy players from Newcastle and inflate their income?
It’s a difficult one. Look at Man City. Ave lost count the amount of clubs which are now under their umbrella. The reason City have done it is because of the chances of spotting global talent. But to buy 4 clubs in one country. That I don’t get.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s a difficult one. Look at Man City. Ave lost count the amount of clubs which are now under their umbrella. The reason City have done it is because of the chances of spotting global talent. But to buy 4 clubs in one country. That I don’t get.
I can't believe it would be allowed in most leagues. The potential for manipulation is too great. I get having feeder clubs in different countries where you can send younger players to improve, knowing they will play a style that will suit when they return etc, but 4 in one league is just questionable.

Incidentally, Matty Longstaff wants to know if he gets a cut of his £200m fee? :ROFLMAO:. Usually about 10% isn't it?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Simple rule saying You can loan out but not buy or sell players between clubs owned by the same person / company/ country etc.
I am sure they would find a way around it though.
put City in the wife’s name ,

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Talking to my lad earlier today. He was telling me re the location of his ticket issued by UEFA. He clearly stated he is a City fan and yet UEFA have given him a ticket in the corner of the inter Milan end. 🤬 When will they learn.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They haven't been bought, as they did with Newcastle, but taken under State ownership....which Newcastle is as well.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think they’re still ”owned“ of which the possible ramifications are the same. 🤔
I know these clubs are owned by the Saudi state, but the ramifications are greater than many are thinking.
It’s obvious the Saudis are trying to buy football and with it the control having all the best players and ergo the best league as they have just done with golf. So any rules UEFA and FIFA may have right now could well be rewritten by the Saudis as they would have the full control and more importantly the money, to say what goes.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I know these clubs are owned by the Saudi state, but the ramifications are greater than many are thinking.
It’s obvious the Saudis are trying to buy football and with it the control having all the best players and ergo the best league as they have just done with golf. So any rules UEFA and FIFA may have right now could well be rewritten by the Saudis as they would have the full control and more importantly the money, to say what goes.

Talksport was eluding to this yesterday - they're starting to try with football for sure.

Eye watering money offered and taken by Ronaldo and Benzema.

Offered:
Messi
Modric
Kroos
Kante
Zaha (apparently)

It wont be long before football players start selling out like some golfers did.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Talksport was eluding to this yesterday - they're starting to try with football for sure.

Eye watering money offered and taken by Ronaldo and Benzema.

Offered:
Messi
Modric
Kroos
Kante
Zaha (apparently)

It wont be long before football players start selling out like some golfers did.
Is this not a little like the rush to China a few years ago? Some will go for the money, some go to top up their pension pot when they are finished at the top level. For most though, there is no credibility or proper competition and so the already high wages in Europe are enough.

I don't think that football needs to worry about the SA league at this stage.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this not a little like the rush to China a few years ago? Some will go for the money, some go to top up their pension pot when they are finished at the top level. For most though, there is no credibility or proper competition and so the already high wages in Europe are enough.

Agreed, golfers who took the Saudi money could still play in and win the majors, for a footballer they’ll never win anything of note again. I’m expecting an influx of players nearing the end of the careers to go over, maybe Kane or Salah in a few years but for now Champions League and Premiership titles is what matters.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

It could be.. but Saudi don't seem to stop - and China did quite quickly!

I don't see it happening as quick as golf, football is far too tribal etc. and as @Beezerk points out - no access to CL etc. which is the pinnacle... But time will tell for sure!

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
It could be.. but Saudi don't seem to stop - and China did quite quickly!

I don't see it happening as quick as golf, football is far too tribal etc. and as @Beezerk points out - no access to CL etc. which is the pinnacle... But time will tell for sure!
There's already Israeli teams playing in Europe, if the Saudi's throw enough money at it and hang in there who's to say we won't have a Saudi team winning the Champion's League in 15 to 20 years.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Was there not a boy from Chelsea that went to China as a young player (Oscar)??
Could be talking rubbish here 😂😂
My thoughts are that if he felt his family circumstances required that money, then go for it, who the hell are we to judge.
The Saudi league will never be a pinnacle league but the players will have a good way of life there, be out of the direct lime light so to speak, get paid very handsomely and bring exposure to the Country.
Until Ronaldo went, I doubt many would of known much about the Saudi league, but even I know the 2 top teams now and the old wolves manager is there.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Was there not a boy from Chelsea that went to China as a young player (Oscar)??
Could be talking rubbish here 😂😂
My thoughts are that if he felt his family circumstances required that money, then go for it, who the hell are we to judge.
The Saudi league will never be a pinnacle league but the players will have a good way of life there, be out of the direct lime light so to speak, get paid very handsomely and bring exposure to the Country.
Until Ronaldo went, I doubt many would of known much about the Saudi league, but even I know the 2 top teams now and the old wolves manager is there.

Yeah Oscar left! Amongst a host of mainly Brazilians to be honest.