The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I can't help but think you were the same person who would have said good players wouldn't go to Man Utd from "smaller" clubs this time last year, as Utd were playing relatively poor. While the "smaller" clubs were playing better than expectations.

Why would Watkins care about Spurs history in PL from 1992-2022, when he'd be signing a contract from 2023-2027/8? A period where there is a reasonable chance to assume Villa could be better? Especially as he'd be replacing Kane. That's like Moyes replacing Sir Alex. He'd be starting very much on the back foot, and even if he played well, he still would be a downgrade on Kane.

The only realistic USP's that could be argued are that he'll get more money, or that the stadium is better. Regarding the 1st point, if Villa think he is worth it, can they just improve his contract? And regarding the 2nd, it would be sad to think the stadium is ultimately the primary USP Spurs rely on when attracting a player.

I'm not sure Spurs have given anybody much confidence that they are an improving side at this moment.

Can I also point out - our expansion looks beautiful - takes us up to 50k fans and they’re actually good fans too 😂

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Can I also point out - our expansion looks beautiful - takes us up to 50k fans and they’re actually good fans too 😂

Every supporter feels their fans are the best. Will Villa’s ground be better than Spurs? No. Will Villa attract the players Spurs will? I doubt it. Does Villa have the same draw Spurs has? Not in my opinion. Nice to see them on the up, and I hope they improve further next season but they’re still a mid table club who might punch above their weight, like this season, and might make 6th but I doubt it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don’t know if Kane will go on Watkins come.

I think it would be a unwise move for Watkins he will never score the goals that Kane would get and never be as popular, also if he does a ‘Richarlison’and gets a poor start the fans are fickle at Spurs and might end up being unpopular.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Postecoglou to Spurs? That’s pretty underwhelming. Apart from Celtic, his only European experience is in the Greek lower leagues.

Hmmmm.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Postecoglou to Spurs? That’s pretty underwhelming. Apart from Celtic, his only European experience is in the Greek lower leagues.

Hmmmm.
Plays decent attacking football, has more Champions League experience than Pochettino had (albeit not getting the results that he was looking for, but still experience), not sure why people are taking this view other than the old, "he's only managed in a two horse race, EPL is the best league in the world" point of view.

Heard a lot about how competitive the EPL is today..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hmmmm.
After Mourinho and Conte, all that they bring, and how they turned out, why not? Also not sure why European football is relevant to the discussion for next season 🤭.

Good to see a new face in the league rather than same old, same old.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hmmmm.
Trying to keep an open mind, largely because I'm past caring anyway. Winning the league with Celtic is obviously nothing to write home about. Gerrard won it with Rangers, arguably a bigger achievement at the moment, but he failed miserably in the Prem. Ange did apparently win the Japanese league with a club that hadn't won it in 15 years - I know nothing about the J League, it's obviously not a top league, but that sounds like a fair achievement. He did ok as Australian national manager, but they're never going to achieve much anyway. In personal terms supposedly all the players who've played under him never have a bad word to say about him. And he favours an attacking style of football, which the Spurs fans have been crying out for. Personally I'm a results man first, but the defensive management hasn't got us results anyway so why not? It's a gamble given his lack of top level experience, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Billysboots

Visit site
After Mourinho and Conte, all that they bring, and how they turned out, why not? Also not sure why European football is relevant to the discussion for next season 🤭.

Good to see a new face in the league rather than same old, same old.

It is good to see new blood, however, I really do question whether he has the pedigree to take Spurs to the level they aspire to, and to attract the sort of players they perhaps need.

I note the argument made in response to my previous post that Postecoglou has Champion’s League experience, however, one season during which Celtic didn’t win a game is hardly supportive of that stance.

Having been after a manager since March, to the outsider this rather smacks of desperation, especially given the names mentioned as possible candidates.

That’s just my view. I’d be interested to hear what Spurs fans think.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is good to see new blood, however, I really do question whether he has the pedigree to take Spurs to the level they aspire to, and to attract the sort of players they perhaps need.

I note the argument made in response to my previous post that Postecoglou has Champion’s League experience, however, one season during which Celtic didn’t win a game is hardly supportive of that stance.

Having been after a manager since March, to the outsider this rather smacks of desperation, especially given the names mentioned as possible candidates.

You take the view that a manager that has managed in the champions league is not supportive of a claim that he has experience of managing in the champions league?

Ohhhh kayyyy….

I did also qualify that by saying results didn’t go as he wanted but he still gained experience in the biggest arena.

Billysboots

Visit site
You take the view that a manager that has managed in the champions league is not supportive of a claim that he has experience of managing in the champions league?

Ohhhh kayyyy….

I did also qualify that by saying results didn’t go as he wanted but he still gained experience in the biggest arena.

Seems someone is determined to have an argument.

My point is that one season’s experience, losing four of six games, is perhaps not as valuable as you seem to think.

As for the suggestion elsewhere of “football manager snobbery”, what utter tosh. I was merely asking if fans of a club with top four aspirations are happy with the likely appointment of a manager with no pedigree managing at the top level on this continent.

And I’m genuinely sorry if this irks you, but the Scottish Premier cannot be compared to managing in Spain, Italy, England, or anywhere where a manager has been regularly exposed to competitive matches against teams from those leagues.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

What was Ten Hag’s pedigree? The Dutch league with Ajax, which isn’t anything special. FC Bayern II…a team in the German 3rd or 4th tier. He’s proven more than capable.

Swango1980

Visit site

Ohhhh kayyyy….

Didn't Lampard get a bit of Champion's League experience? And Solskjaer? I don't think that earns them much credit whatsoever to be fair.

This chap may be a decent manager, but will need to prove it in PL. It is why some will consider it underwhelming. Even if Celtic won every domestic trophy available to them, it wouldn't stand for too much at all. It is such a poor league, especially if one year their only potential challenger, Rangers, have a poor year.

I genuinely think Solskjaer could manage Celtic and win many trophies.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Visit site
What was Ten Hag’s pedigree? The Dutch league with Ajax, which isn’t anything special. FC Bayern II…a team in the German 3rd or 4th tier. He’s proven more than capable.

As I alluded to in my last post, Brian, regular exposure to competition against teams from the traditional bigger leagues in Europe brings with it a degree of pedigree or experience.

Ten Hag had managed across several seasons in both the Champion’s League and Europa League, with varying degrees of success, and had also presided over an Ajax side which produced a number of the most exciting young players in Europe.

Whilst I see the point you are trying to make, with the best will in the world Postecoglou doesn’t currently have that level of exposure to the best Europe has to offer. I can’t believe for one moment that, when Conte and Spurs parted company, Daniel Levy had Postecoglou at the top of his list.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ohhhh kayyyy….

Gerrard had arguably better results for rangers but was found out at a competitive level

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems someone is determined to have an argument.

My point is that one season’s experience, losing four of six games, is perhaps not as valuable as you seem to think.

As for the suggestion elsewhere of “football manager snobbery”, what utter tosh. I was merely asking if fans of a club with top four aspirations are happy with the likely appointment of a manager with no pedigree managing at the top level on this continent.

And I’m genuinely sorry if this irks you, but the Scottish Premier cannot be compared to managing in Spain, Italy, England, or anywhere where a manager has been regularly exposed to competitive matches against teams from those leagues.
No argument here, just pointing out the inconsistency in the statement.

Whether it not it helps it’s still more than some managers come with.

I wasn’t comparing the Scottish league to England or any other, I merely pointed out he has a good attacking brand of football management.

But not arguing, I’m but a provincial Scottish lower league supporter who has no right to opine.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didn't Lampard get a bit of Champion's League experience? And Solskjaer? I don't think that earns them much credit whatsoever to be fair.

This chap may be a decent manager, but will need to prove it in PL. It is why some will consider it underwhelming. Even if Celtic won every domestic trophy available to them, it wouldn't stand for too much at all. It is such a poor league, especially if one year their only potential challenger, Rangers, have a poor year.

I genuinely think Solskjaer could manage Celtic and win many trophies.
Kenny Dalgliesh and John Barnes thought the same thing.

But I take the general consensus that any experience managing in Scotland is null and void in TBLINW.