The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At one point this morning we were linked with Weghorst :oops: . I'm relieved to say that the club have quickly denied that. Not a good start to the day though.
He has 'Sean Dyche striker' written all over him to be fair.

Must be a slow news day... apparently Spurs want Watkins

Yeah, because he's leaving us to move to Spurs :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
He must be a hell of a goalie/defender if we're linked to him. Honestly annoys me how many wingers we get linked to all of them time. Like a revolving door of benchwarmers while our backline hasn't been fit for purpose in five years.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

He must be a hell of a goalie/defender if we're linked to him. Honestly annoys me how many wingers we get linked to all of them time. Like a revolving door of benchwarmers while our backline hasn't been fit for purpose in five years.
We already have a striker in the squad with a record of not scoring many goals, Maupay. We don't need another to keep him company. Guaranteed to have us in the relegation fight again next season :(

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We already have a striker in the squad with a record of not scoring many goals, Maupay. We don't need another to keep him company. Guaranteed to have us in the relegation fight again next season :(
He had a 1 in 2 ratio in Germany. Man Utd were never going to play to his strengths - i.e. a 4-4-2 with some crosses coming in. That said, he didn't succeed at Burnley of course. Obviously just lazy journalism given that Dyche signed him there.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

You know Watkins is a striker right? :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You know Watkins is a striker right? :ROFLMAO:
Sorry, I thought he was still playing on the wing as he did last season. If Kane doesn't leave us though, that's where he'd have to play for us. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don't think he's a top notch striker though, just goes through purple patches. Like Rashford.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Sorry, I thought he was still playing on the wing as he did last season. If Kane doesn't leave us though, that's where he'd have to play for us. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don't think he's a top notch striker though, just goes through purple patches. Like Rashford.

He's always been a striker, only Gerrard pushed him out during some games to accommodate Ings.

He's no Kane and does miss some big chances but I think a full 38 games under Emery could see him touch 20 goals a season just because of how we now attack.

He's a workhorse and always fit though. Cant remember a single injury to be honest!

D

Deleted member 15344

Watkins being looked at to replace Kane

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well he's nowhere near good enough but then again, nobody is. And certainly nobody we could afford or would be willing to join us.

We should sign that Richarlison feller that plays for Brazil, he always looks decent. Wonder what club he plays for?
He will certainly be fresh for next season :LOL:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Watkins being looked at to replace Kane

Posted this earlier - legit the dumbest link ive ever seen in my life. Hes not going there.

Not saying he wouldn't leave - but 1) He's an Arsenal fan and 2) we have European football which they don't and will continue to miss out on without Kane.

D

Deleted member 15344

Posted this earlier - legit the dumbest link ive ever seen in my life. Hes not going there.

Not saying he wouldn't leave - but 1) He's an Arsenal fan and 2) we have European football which they don't and will continue to miss out on without Kane.
Spurs would just simply offer bigger wages and rightly or wrongly are seen as a bigger club etc

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're richer and a nice stadium is not the sign of a big club.

Watch this space - new deal will be signed this summer - he's going absolutely nowhere.
Where have I heard that before?

So bored of seeing Grealish linked to other premier league teams every summer. These "writers" just recycle old rubbish every year until an actual transfer occurs.

Grealish aint going nowhere.

D

Deleted member 15344

We're richer and a nice stadium is not the sign of a big club.

Watch this space - new deal will be signed this summer - he's going absolutely nowhere.

What is the sign of a bigger club ?

Spurs have been an established top 6 club regularly playing in the CL over the last decade , a poor season doesn’t stop that

They will also have the potential to get back into the CL

Villa are prob right at their peak and will I suspect drop down to mid table again

If Spurs wanted him then he would go there

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Where have I heard that before?

There’s a bit of a difference between Grealish going for an English record fee and Watkins but I take your point. I got that one wrong and he’s now achieved what he set out to achieve by leaving. Spurs don’t offer the same deal as city.

What is the sign of a bigger club ?

Spurs have been an established top 6 club regularly playing in the CL over the last decade , a poor season doesn’t stop that

They will also have the potential to get back into the CL

Villa are prob right at their peak and will I suspect drop down to mid table again

If Spurs wanted him then he would go there

The big club debate is a great one, but let’s be real here -

They’ve not won anything, they’ve qualified for some CL’s and yeah that’s great, plenty of clubs would love that (villa included) - they stand zero chance of top 4 next year, anyone who thinks they will needs to give their head a wobble. He’d be “moving” if Kane left, without Kane you think they’ll challenge top 4/6?

The way I see it, and sure correct me if you think I’m wrong - but City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle are probably already next years top 6. Brighton can push and I’d expect us to do the same.

He’s not moving to spurs this year when we have more to offer in footballing terms than they do next season. That he helped to achieve and celebrated like a kid at Christmas with the fans. With a better manager and a club/ owners that will no doubt spend more money than spurs this summer to strengthen on what we have achieved this year.

If you replaced this club with Arsenal then I’d be waving him goodbye, but not spurs. They are not a bigger club than Villa - just had a better last 10 years is all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There’s a bit of a difference between Grealish going for an English record fee and Watkins but I take your point. I got that one wrong and he’s now achieved what he set out to achieve by leaving. Spurs don’t offer the same deal as city.

They’ve not won anything, they’ve qualified for some CL’s and yeah that’s great, plenty of clubs would love that (villa included) - they stand zero chance of top 4 next year, anyone who thinks they will needs to give their head a wobble. He’d be “moving” if Kane left, without Kane you think they’ll challenge top 4/6?

The way I see it, and sure correct me if you think I’m wrong - but City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle are probably already next years top 6. Brighton can push and I’d expect us to do the same.

He’s not moving to spurs this year when we have more to offer in footballing terms than they do next season. That he helped to achieve and celebrated like a kid at Christmas with the fans. With a better manager and a club/ owners that will no doubt spend more money than spurs this summer to strengthen on what we have achieved this year.

If you replaced this club with Arsenal then I’d be waving him goodbye, but not spurs. They are not a bigger club than Villa - just had a better last 10 years is all.
I don't really think he'll join us or anything but some of your logic is weird. You also haven't won anything for a long time. You also won't be in the top six next season by your own admission. Alright you are in Europa, which he might be interested in, but other than that Phil was right - we have one of the best stadiums in Europe and we'd offer him more money, so not much reason why he wouldn't be tempted to go.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don't really think he'll join us or anything but some of your logic is weird. You also haven't won anything for a long time. You also won't be in the top six next season by your own admission. Alright you are in Europa, which he might be interested in, but other than that Phil was right - we have one of the best stadiums in Europe and we'd offer him more money, so not much reason why he wouldn't be tempted to go.

There’s plenty of reasons to stay and the only pull you think you have is money - which I know we could match 😂 that’s why mate!

Look at his goal celebration against Brighton - Europe is calling 😂😂😂

Of course I don’t expect top 6 easily, but our only progression is upwards or trophies. Which our manager has experience of winning on the big stages. Have you actually watched Villa under Emery or looked into how much our owners have invested already?

We’re a club that’s only on the up from here. Europa conf league may stretch us at times next year if we progress far in it, absolutely but to suggest he’d just move for money is banter. You’re not a club that wins things either.

D

Deleted member 15344

The last time Villa finished higher than 4th was over 30 years ago , in that period they finished 4th once and 5th once , most of the time mid table and also years outside the Prem.

Spurs are a bigger club in every way , stadium , finances , players , appeal , prob world wide fan base

It’s a step up from Villa to Spurs at this moment in time , that may change but not right now

Swango1980

Visit site
The last time Villa finished higher than 4th was over 30 years ago , in that period they finished 4th once and 5th once , most of the time mid table and also years outside the Prem.

Spurs are a bigger club in every way , stadium , finances , players , appeal , prob world wide fan base

It’s a step up from Villa to Spurs at this moment in time , that may change but not right now
I can't help but think you were the same person who would have said good players wouldn't go to Man Utd from "smaller" clubs this time last year, as Utd were playing relatively poor. While the "smaller" clubs were playing better than expectations.

Why would Watkins care about Spurs history in PL from 1992-2022, when he'd be signing a contract from 2023-2027/8? A period where there is a reasonable chance to assume Villa could be better? Especially as he'd be replacing Kane. That's like Moyes replacing Sir Alex. He'd be starting very much on the back foot, and even if he played well, he still would be a downgrade on Kane.

The only realistic USP's that could be argued are that he'll get more money, or that the stadium is better. Regarding the 1st point, if Villa think he is worth it, can they just improve his contract? And regarding the 2nd, it would be sad to think the stadium is ultimately the primary USP Spurs rely on when attracting a player.

I'm not sure Spurs have given anybody much confidence that they are an improving side at this moment.