The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And yet he isn't walking away, which he could! Can only be down to money!
Knowing Levy there are probably all sorts of clauses pertaining to trophies and top four. Never had this confirmed or anything, but when we sacked Mourinho immediately before a cup final, aside from being a bloody stupid idea the only logical explanation was that he would have got a bonus for winning a cup and they wanted to avoid paying it. I suspect we would not sack Conte until top four is mathematically impossible. Currently we're still IN the top four by having played more games essentially, so I'm sure Conte would argue he was on track to achieve it.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if anyone noticed (was lower down than the Premier League ;)) but Rotherham had their home match abandoned after 48 minutes on Saturday as the heavens opened at half time and the pitch was very soon unplayable with puddles all over the pitch. With the players off the pitch for over half an hour, the referee decided it wasn't going to improve and called it off. My old man was at the match and he said it is the first time in over 60 years of watching football that he has been at a game that was abandoned. Anyone else been at a game that was abandoned and how long dd it take for the officials to finally call it off?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if anyone noticed (was lower down than the Premier League ;)) but Rotherham had their home match abandoned after 48 minutes on Saturday as the heavens opened at half time and the pitch was very soon unplayable with puddles all over the pitch. With the players off the pitch for over half an hour, the referee decided it wasn't going to improve and called it off. My old man was at the match and he said it is the first time in over 60 years of watching football that he has been at a game that was abandoned. Anyone else been at a game that was abandoned and how long dd it take for the officials to finally call it off?

Been at a few rugby matches that have been abandoned over the years but that is different in that any puddles on the pitch can be a drowning risk as players are pinned to the floor at times.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Plus the public appearance. Conte wants to avoid being seen as a quitter and also wants to shift all the blame for any sacking onto the club and the players.

You could argue that the last rant against the board and players in itself could be argued as grounds for dismissal. Imagine how long you would last in a job if you went public insulting the staff and management.

Kind of what I mean... Spurs not sacking/ sacking him is weak either way in my opinion, he's kind of got them over a barrell!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw that on Soccer Saturday. To be fair, not a lot the officials can do if the ball is not rolling. I think they were hoping they could get it going again, partly for the sake of the travelling Cardiff fans. They gave it every chance.

Back in the 90's I was at a Newcastle game that was called off for fog. I couldn't tell you how long into the game it was but it just came down and you couldn't see the other side of the pitch. I think they waited 20-30 minutes from memory, hazy memory, before calling it off. That was an evening game and so the schedule was probably tighter in terms of fans getting home, policing etc.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was at a Celtic-Hibs game back in the 70s.

We were losing 2-0 with 10 minutes left when the fog came rolling in. Sensing a chance to impact proceedings, fans invaded the pitch and managed to delay the game until the fog was really thick. The pitch was eventually cleared, the game was restarted, but the fog was so bad, the ref had to abandon the game.

The game was replayed a few weeks later and we got a 1-1 draw :D

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Rashford, Mount and Pope all withdrawn from England.

Only Forster called up to replace Pope.

Why? Why not call up a couple of the U21's who are showing positive signs?

Gareth Southgate's Boys Club is almost as tricky to get the invite to as LIV Golf :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rashford, Mount and Pope all withdrawn from England.

Only Forster called up to replace Pope.

Why? Why not call up a couple of the U21's who are showing positive signs?

Gareth Southgate's Boys Club is almost as tricky to get the invite to as LIV Golf :ROFLMAO:
Probably had too many in the first place, foreseeing that a couple would drop out.

Southgate was moaning the other day saying there's not enough English players playing in the Prem and he may have to look at the Championship soon. I'm not sure how he knows that since he obviously hasn't watched the Prem in a few years - just sits at home watching repeats of World Cup 2018.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably had too many in the first place, foreseeing that a couple would drop out.

Southgate was moaning the other day saying there's not enough English players playing in the Prem and he may have to look at the Championship soon. I'm not sure how he knows that since he obviously hasn't watched the Prem in a few years - just sits at home watching repeats of World Cup 2018.
He obviously hasn't watch Chelsea for a while as Mount has been out injured for a few weeks!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Roy in at Palace (again)

They've got some serious fixtures ahead, I think they face almost every team below them plus Fulham! Win a few and they're safe, but is Roy the answer?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Roy in at Palace (again)

They've got some serious fixtures ahead, I think they face almost every team below them plus Fulham! Win a few and they're safe, but is Roy the answer?
Honestly the stupidest thing I've seen in quite a while. Were they really any better under him than they've been under Vieira? It's the same set of useless strikers either way. If their defence was leaking goals you could understand it, but there are plenty of worse defences in the bottom half. Their problem is they don't score, and Roy isn't going to fix that.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Honestly the stupidest thing I've seen in quite a while. Were they really any better under him than they've been under Vieira? It's the same set of useless strikers either way. If their defence was leaking goals you could understand it, but there are plenty of worse defences in the bottom half. Their problem is they don't score, and Roy isn't going to fix that.

I know, why not just hire who you want to take over long term? 3 months of Roy isn't going to get the players fired up...

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Roy in at Palace (again)

I'm stunned at this. He was brought in at Watford last year to do a similar job and not wanting to be banned, he was ****** ***, just as Claudio was before him. He saw it as easy money and "free" publicity. We know he has more affection for CP; just look at his behaviour at last season's CP v Wat game. I just can't see what Roy is going to do to revitalise CP. I'm sure there's even more concern about staying up now.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hearing worrying rumours that Steve Cooper is going be sacked today. If that is the case, I give up with the ownership. For all the money they've invested and good they've done at the club, they completely negate these decisions with the stupid stuff they do in spades. Who on earth are they bringing in 11 games before the end of the season, that's going to do a better job? It's taken 23 years to get stability and belief back in this football club, and it would all be undone if Cooper goes.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Hearing worrying rumours that Steve Cooper is going be sacked today. If that is the case, I give up with the ownership. For all the money they've invested and good they've done at the club, they completely negate these decisions with the stupid stuff they do in spades. Who on earth are they bringing in 11 games before the end of the season, that's going to do a better job? It's taken 23 years to get stability and belief back in this football club, and it would all be undone if Cooper goes.

I really hope they don't do that. They've not long given him an extension, it'd be a right joke if they cut him now.

And you're right, no manager comes in and saves Forest now. I think if you sack Cooper you're as good as down. He is your best option for the remaining games.

Change in the summer if you need to, but right now this is a terrible idea.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really hope they don't do that. They've not long given him an extension, it'd be a right joke if they cut him now.

And you're right, no manager comes in and saves Forest now. I think if you sack Cooper you're as good as down. He is your best option for the remaining games.

Change in the summer if you need to, but right now this is a terrible idea.

to be honest, I'd keep him even if we end up going down. Not sure who else is better to bring us back up.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Terrible decision if that is the case. Some sackings make sense but this would not imo. Whether you stay up or go down, I'd be keeping Cooper as manager.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I simply cannot understand why Palace have appointed a 75 year old former manager. It’s the most ludicrous backwards step imaginable, especially given the fact the management set up has perhaps not been the problem.

Unfair on Palace fans to say this, but the club deserve to go down.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Terrible decision if that is the case. Some sackings make sense but this would not imo. Whether you stay up or go down, I'd be keeping Cooper as manager.
Turns out it's really, really difficult to keep your job if you're a Premier League manager. I wonder if they ever sue for wrongful dismissal? :LOL: