The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Just seen the clip, didn't watch the game live. Surely Mitrovic will get extra on top of the usual ban. You can't touch or get in the face of a ref as he did.

After the recent issue regarding amateur refs the PL need to make a statement with this.

Hopefully the FA will show more balls than the PL failed to do when Fernandes man handled the referees assistant a couple of weeks ago against the mickeys.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I agree with the idea though i'm not sure how consistent referees will police it.

It’s easy, surely?

Player approaches referee, referee waves player away, player refuses. Unless he’s wearing the captain’s armband it’s an immediate yellow. It’s in the interests of the officials to enforce it.

You simply cannot have melees like we saw at Old Trafford this afternoon. Entertaining for United fans and neutrals alike to see Fulham totally lose their discipline, but an embarrassment to the game all the same.

Swango1980

Visit site
United very very lucky today. Ok, Willian handballing was just one of those reactional things, but Mitrovic being sent off was completely avoidable, and made sure United were given the momentum.

McTomminay is just very underwhelming and disappointing. Most of the attackers were bad, but having a player in that deep centre midfield position, for me, is such an important role. McTomminay hides, he rarely gives the defenders around him an option to pass to. A decent player would sometimes drop back even deeper than the defender on ball if need be, to receive the pass. But McTomminay just floats around, usually with an opponent between him and the ball. Even if he does get the ball, just very poor quality. So, along with a striker, I think we need someone in that position to cover Casemiro, and even play alongside him depending on the game.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For putting hands on the ref/assistant I'd go with double the normal red card ban so 6 games seems reasonable.
Think the refs only have themselves to blame.
They have let these spoilt brats get away with this for as long as I can remember.
They need to stand up and tell clubs this will not be tolerated.

Any player crowding the ref it’s yellow but be consistent. That’s half the problem no consistency.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think the refs only have themselves to blame.
They have let these spoilt brats get away with this for as long as I can remember.
They need to stand up and tell clubs this will not be tolerated.

Any player crowding the ref it’s yellow but be consistent. That’s half the problem no consistency.

Totally agree. The ref should tell the players once to go away. If they don't then get the yellow card out and book one of them. If they still don't back off then show the yellow card to a second player and keep going until they get the message. But it needs every ref at every level to implement it and not just for one week but ongoing every week throughout the season. The FA and the refereeing associations need to fully support them. Footballers might not all be the brightest people on the planet but it wouldn't take long for them to learn that it's not acceptable and if they don't learn then it's their own fault. It's the same with swearing at the ref or assistant. Straight red card. And make sure it's every time regardless of the player or the team.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
It’s easy, surely?

Player approaches referee, referee waves player away, player refuses. Unless he’s wearing the captain’s armband it’s an immediate yellow. It’s in the interests of the officials to enforce it.

You simply cannot have melees like we saw at Old Trafford this afternoon. Entertaining for United fans and neutrals alike to see Fulham totally lose their discipline, but an embarrassment to the game all the same.

To us it is. We see how inconsistent referees are at applying basic rules, you expect them to apply another one consistently?

D

Deleted member 15344

For putting hands on the ref/assistant I'd go with double the normal red card ban so 6 games seems reasonable.
6 games seems about right
Totally agree. The ref should tell the players once to go away. If they don't then get the yellow card out and book one of them. If they still don't back off then show the yellow card to a second player and keep going until they get the message. But it needs every ref at every level to implement it and not just for one week but ongoing every week throughout the season. The FA and the refereeing associations need to fully support them. Footballers might not all be the brightest people on the planet but it wouldn't take long for them to learn that it's not acceptable and if they don't learn then it's their own fault. It's the same with swearing at the ref or assistant. Straight red card. And make sure it's every time regardless of the player or the team.

I remember when Bennett red carded Mascherano for constantly going up to him , it was at a time when players were constantly surrounding the ref with Man Utd and Chelsea including Mourinho being big components of it - everyone thought that was a watershed moment - at last a player sent off for harassing the ref , that was going to stop it

Within 2 weeks it was all forgotten about and players were back hassling the reds again

Until it’s done everything single time then it’s just token effort from them.

The players don’t respect the referee- and it’s time for that respect to be installed

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No comments on Sliva though with his red?
Mitrovic should be banned for a minimum of 10 games.
Verbally abusing the ref, grabbing the ref and then trying to put his head into the ref. Punish him for each individual action and make a point and stand.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly I suspect it will follow the usual pattern for these things. Incident happens, there is a media uproar, referees instruced to enforce and issue cards and do so. We have a raft of yellow and even red cards, the media pushes the agenda that it is ruining the game, the enforcement is watered down or stopped, things return to as they were, the meda in uproar about the lack of respect.............................................

It really is that simple, approach the ref if you are not captain, yellow card or at least a warnings then next person to do it on that team, irrespective of previous, gets a card as does everyone after. I would also add that calls for the opposition to receive a card should also result in a card and the decision being reversed.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Sadly I suspect it will follow the usual pattern for these things. Incident happens, there is a media uproar, referees instruced to enforce and issue cards and do so. We have a raft of yellow and even red cards, the media pushes the agenda that it is ruining the game, the enforcement is watered down or stopped, things return to as they were, the meda in uproar about the lack of respect.............................................

It really is that simple, approach the ref if you are not captain, yellow card or at least a warnings then next person to do it on that team, irrespective of previous, gets a card as does everyone after. I would also add that calls for the opposition to receive a card should also result in a card and the decision being reversed.

Enforcement of something this simple would also solve other issues, not least the amount of time added on. I shudder to think how much time is wasted by players haranguing the officials.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Transfer gossip this morning is a real mixed bag

Villa linked to Lukaku :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Bellingham looking unlikely to go to Liverpool
Chelsea spending more money - this time maybe on Osimhen

And most entertaining of all:

Conte 100% needs sacking :ROFLMAO: Got to be after the pay off surely?!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Transfer gossip this morning is a real mixed bag

Villa linked to Lukaku :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Bellingham looking unlikely to go to Liverpool
Chelsea spending more money - this time maybe on Osimhen

And most entertaining of all:

Conte 100% needs sacking :ROFLMAO: Got to be after the pay off surely?!

If his contract is only until the end of the season, surely the pay off is pretty small.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
And yet he isn't walking away, which he could! Can only be down to money!

Plus the public appearance. Conte wants to avoid being seen as a quitter and also wants to shift all the blame for any sacking onto the club and the players.

You could argue that the last rant against the board and players in itself could be argued as grounds for dismissal. Imagine how long you would last in a job if you went public insulting the staff and management.