The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go on then Forest fans, whats your best side now after all your latest additions, give us FPL mangers a chance????

Gibbs White, Awoniyi, Willians, Dennis, Niakhate, Biancone, Freuler, Richards, O Brien, Toffolo, Aguilera, Lingard, Kouyate, Hennessy, Henderson

Some job ahead of Cooper gelling a side together pretty much overnight

If the difference between how we played at Newcastle vs West Ham is anything to go by, Cooper's gelling magic will work just fine. It was like two different teams with only 2 changes to the starting lineup (and over half the starting 11 were still new squad players)

The jury is out until we see Freuler, Dennis and Kouyate (and Gibbs White), but I suspect it will go something like;

Henderson
Worrall Niakhate McKenna
Williams Freuler/Mangala/Kouyate Toffolo (Richards when healthy, but there's more than meets the eye with that I think - there's been zero update on him)
O'Brien
MGW (Lingard backing up)
Johnson Awoniyi (or Dennis If he gets in Cooper's good books)

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Basically, there's more to this than *just* signing Morgan Gibbs White.

He was Cooper's number 1 target at the start of the summer....what has transpired is that Cooper and Murphy (our CEO) have put together some great transfers, but I'm told that some of the signings they had nothing to do with and were not consulted, which obviously (and understandably) didn't go down well with them. Cooper has yet to sign the contract extension he was offered at the start of summer.

I genuinely believe if we didn't get Gibbs-White, because of what had transpired with the random signings they've now had to make work, Cooper and Murphy would have walked

So yes, £44.5m is massively overpaying (even with English Premier League player tax) - BUT I'm pretty sure we'll shortly have an announcement that Cooper has signed his contract extension now this deal is done.

Essentially, I think they've probably given an ultimatum to the owners, and stuck their own necks on the line - because if he flops, Cooper might well be gone anyway. He knows him well, having coached him at Swansea - so I trust his judgement.

EDIT: Also, told you we'd sign him before the end of the window :)

So you've kind of spent the money not just on MGW but on keeping the manager happy so he stays?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
So you've kind of spent the money not just on MGW but on keeping the manager happy so he stays?

Yep. The owner believes in Cooper and Murphy and the vision they have for the club. I think his son (who had been bought on board to assist whilst his dad was still based in Greece) went a bit “football manager” with one or two signings, so this is is part of getting everyone back on the same page and working towards the same goal.

Cooper has wanted him since day 1, and believes in his potential and how he fits in the system….so I guess we’ll soon see if his gamble pays off.

I fully expect Cooper’s contract extension announcement in the coming days.

4LEX

Visit site
Fair play to Forest, nice to see a promoted club really going for it. This signing takes the pressure off Lingard so it could be a very smart piece of business.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair play to Forest, nice to see a promoted club really going for it. This signing takes the pressure off Lingard so it could be a very smart piece of business.

Average cost of our transfers has been around £9m per player. We’ve replaced the 5 loans and 8 expired contracts we lost and upgraded and strengthened at the positions we needed to.

Get Cooper’s extension signed, and Jimmy Garner back in to give us more midfield options and I don’t think they could have done much better.

4LEX

Visit site
Average cost of our transfers has been around £9m per player. We’ve replaced the 5 loans and 8 expired contracts we lost and upgraded and strengthened at the positions we needed to.

Get Cooper’s extension signed, and Jimmy Garner back in to give us more midfield options and I don’t think they could have done much better.

Where do you think you'll finish out of interest? I'm definitely going to get myself to The City ground for one game this season as a groundhopper.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where do you think you'll finish out of interest? I'm definitely going to get myself to The City ground for one game this season as a groundhopper.

In the wake of the MGW news, I’ve just put bets for top half and top 6 finishes ? but realistically I think 14-17 is where we’ll finish.

I know it’s early days but I’m confident we can do the job to stay up.

Tickets will be hard to come by this season but if you want a ticket in the home seats, I’m a silver member so happy to get you a ticket as I won’t be able to make it every week (living 150 miles away with a new born as well!). Just let me know which game tickles your fancy and I’ll sort you one out.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep. The owner believes in Cooper and Murphy and the vision they have for the club. I think his son (who had been bought on board to assist whilst his dad was still based in Greece) went a bit “football manager” with one or two signings, so this is is part of getting everyone back on the same page and working towards the same goal.

Cooper has wanted him since day 1, and believes in his potential and how he fits in the system….so I guess we’ll soon see if his gamble pays off.

I fully expect Cooper’s contract extension announcement in the coming days.

Judging by the way he was frantically crossing himself every time the camera was on him on Sunday he also believes In fairies ?‍♀️ ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62596652

So Mike Dean Fesses up that he made a mistake in the VAR booth when not asking the ref to have a look at the hair pull scenario on the spurs v Chelsea game.

Finally realises that he hasn't got a leg to stand on and is trying to talk his way out of it more like.

I wonder how long it would take him to work out it was a violent act if someone put him on his arse?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Finally realises that he hasn't got a leg to stand on and is trying to talk his way out of it more like.

I wonder how long it would take him to work out it was a violent act if someone put him on his arse?
Now that I realise it was Dean I can totally picture his "well he shouldn't have such ridiculous hair" type reaction. Remember that famous clip of him pulling the face at Fellaini? :LOL:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s an interesting/controversial point about that Mike Dean thing - why should a paid-for column in the daily mail be the place where VAR mistakes are held to scrutiny? It makes no reasonable sense at all. And it’s not a criticism of the daily mail, the question would be fair whatever the rag.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site

The issue for me with this is that everyone knows they got it wrong. Everyone can see its a foul and a red. So why come out now and say it? It doesn't help at all. If anything it makes it worse. For Chelsea fans, the goal doesn't happen and you win. For (non-spurs) football fans, the correct outcome happens. But none of that did. So why bother now?

It's the same as the Welbeck pen against United where everybody after the game says "yes that's a pen" and ref-watch they come out with "it's a teething problem with the var changes this season" suggesting a foul at the beginning of the season isn't a foul at the end.

With VAR, if there is *anything* contentious, let the ref look. Let him decide. Inevitably they'll get some wrong in the eyes of fans, but it's the guy in the middle making the decision.