The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

The issue for me with this is that everyone knows they got it wrong. Everyone can see its a foul and a red. So why come out now and say it? It doesn't help at all. If anything it makes it worse. For Chelsea fans, the goal doesn't happen and you win. For (non-spurs) football fans, the correct outcome happens. But none of that did. So why bother now?

It's the same as the Welbeck pen against United where everybody after the game says "yes that's a pen" and ref-watch they come out with "it's a teething problem with the var changes this season" suggesting a foul at the beginning of the season isn't a foul at the end.

With VAR, if there is *anything* contentious, let the ref look. Let him decide. Inevitably they'll get some wrong in the eyes of fans, but it's the guy in the middle making the decision.

That would be ideal if the on field refs were allowed to do this. At least then the man in the middle is making the key decisions he’s supposed to.

Last season every decision the refs looked at the pitch side monitor, they were all overturned. 0 decisions got upheld.

On the balance of probability you’d expect a % of decisions to get upheld.

VAR in Britain is being used incorrectly.

RRidges

Visit site
With VAR, if there is *anything* contentious, let the ref look. Let him decide. Inevitably they'll get some wrong in the eyes of fans, but it's the guy in the middle making the decision.
That would be ideal if the on field refs were allowed to do this. At least then the man in the middle is making the key decisions he’s supposed to.

Last season every decision the refs looked at the pitch side monitor, they were all overturned. 0 decisions got upheld.

On the balance of probability you’d expect a % of decisions to get upheld.

VAR in Britain is being used incorrectly.
Perhaps you guys should look at the VAR rules...
https://www.premierleague.com/news/... the broadcast,they can recommend an overturn.
Same procedure is used in Internatonal games and likely other countries too.
I'm not surprised that 0% of decisions are upheld as Ref is only directed to screen for clear and obvious errors!
The hair-pulling incident was simply one of those where a Ref made a decision that he later determined he would have ruled differently on.

4LEX

Visit site
In the wake of the MGW news, I’ve just put bets for top half and top 6 finishes ? but realistically I think 14-17 is where we’ll finish.

I know it’s early days but I’m confident we can do the job to stay up.

Tickets will be hard to come by this season but if you want a ticket in the home seats, I’m a silver member so happy to get you a ticket as I won’t be able to make it every week (living 150 miles away with a new born as well!). Just let me know which game tickles your fancy and I’ll sort you one out.

14-17th would be a great season. I reckon you'll stay up now without much trouble. Even if you're in mither you'll buy yourself out of it in January :whistle::p

Yeah tickets will definitely be difficult to get especially as I would prefer a game v Man Utd, Leeds, Liverpool or City! Appreciate the kind offer and if you can get two tickets for any of those I'll donate £50 on top to a charity of your choice (y)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
14-17th would be a great season. I reckon you'll stay up now without much trouble. Even if you're in mither you'll buy yourself out of it in January :whistle::p

Yeah tickets will definitely be difficult to get especially as I would prefer a game v Man Utd, Leeds, Liverpool or City! Appreciate the kind offer and if you can get two tickets for any of those I'll donate £50 on top to a charity of your choice (y)
well I can all but guarantee at least one ticket for any of those fixtures (provided I’m not going myself! :)).
2nd tickets can be a bit trickier but not impossible. I have a friend who has a season card with his dad, who doesn’t go every week as he’s not in the best of health. I generally buy my ticket in the spare seat next to his season card seats, so if there’s one of his group not going, a second ticket isn’t a problem.

RichA

Visit site
The issue for me with this is that everyone knows they got it wrong. Everyone can see its a foul and a red. So why come out now and say it? It doesn't help at all. If anything it makes it worse. For Chelsea fans, the goal doesn't happen and you win. For (non-spurs) football fans, the correct outcome happens. But none of that did. So why bother now?

It's the same as the Welbeck pen against United where everybody after the game says "yes that's a pen" and ref-watch they come out with "it's a teething problem with the var changes this season" suggesting a foul at the beginning of the season isn't a foul at the end.

Not everyone. Certainly a foul but not a red card, in my opinion.
It bothers me that every VAR incident is viewed in slo-mo. Lots of football's laws are based on intent and slo-mo makes everything look 20 times worse than it was.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the wake of the MGW news, I’ve just put bets for top half and top 6 finishes ? but realistically I think 14-17 is where we’ll finish.

I know it’s early days but I’m confident we can do the job to stay up.

Tickets will be hard to come by this season but if you want a ticket in the home seats, I’m a silver member so happy to get you a ticket as I won’t be able to make it every week (living 150 miles away with a new born as well!). Just let me know which game tickles your fancy and I’ll sort you one out.
I did the same - but a bit back. Mad money I know, but there was a few quid in the betting account, and you have to show faith :) (Interested to know what odds you got?. Mine were 10/1 and 50/1 :):))

Cheeky question - does your Silver membership get you any priority for away tickets. They are like hens teeth for mere mortals? I try to get to London matches but rarely succeed. And Premiership? Ha ha ha ha ....

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With the talk about Forest buying players that the manager might not want, and fans of Man Utd blaming the board for bad signings, how much say do people think managers have in who the club signs? My club, Rotherham Utd don't seem to sign anyone who doesn't fit into the manager's vision and ethos for the club with the manager interviewing prospective signings before any signature. Tome, this is a good think and stops any big time charlies upsetting the dressing room, etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the talk about Forest buying players that the manager might not want, and fans of Man Utd blaming the board for bad signings, how much say do people think managers have in who the club signs? My club, Rotherham Utd don't seem to sign anyone who doesn't fit into the manager's vision and ethos for the club with the manager interviewing prospective signings before any signature. Tome, this is a good think and stops any big time charlies upsetting the dressing room, etc
I find it incredible that owners / directors of football sign anyone without the approval of the manager / coach. I do think there needs to be a committee element so that a single manager can not go crazy and buy against the long term plan of the club, lumping the club with unwanted players long term, but the manager has to be central to the decision. If the manager doesn't want a player, they simply should not sign them. That seems obvious to me.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did the same - but a bit back. Mad money I know, but there was a few quid in the betting account, and you have to show faith :) (Interested to know what odds you got?. Mine were 10/1 and 50/1 :):))

Cheeky question - does your Silver membership get you any priority for away tickets. They are like hens teeth for mere mortals? I try to get to London matches but rarely succeed. And Premiership? Ha ha ha ha ....

I got 51/1 for top 6 and 8/1 on Top 10. Easy money :ROFLMAO:

And unfortunately it doesn't. Away memberships were a bone of contention with the fans this year - the club changed the way they did it, and REALLY dropped the ball on how it was handled. Essentially, 500 "gold priority plus" members were assigned to those who had been to 18 or more away games last season - they are guaranteed an away ticket every game.

The remaining 2500 away allocation (standard 3000k allocation for premier league) has to be fought between a further 4500 members which was offered 1st come, 1st serve to season card members. So you can pay for an away membership but never be lucky enough to get a ticket. There's a Forest ticket exchange WhatsApp group that a group of us setup, to help those without memberships get tickets to home games and on the odd occasion, away games.

we've always has a strong away following, but will be nigh on impossible to get an away ticket this season. I only just managed to get a ticket for Bristol City away last season - which was on a cold, rainy Tuesday in October 200 miles from Nottingham.

I find it incredible that owners / directors of football sign anyone without the approval of the manager / coach. I do think there needs to be a committee element so that a single manager can not go crazy and buy against the long term plan of the club, lumping the club with unwanted players long term, but the manager has to be central to the decision. If the manager doesn't want a player, they simply should not sign them. That seems obvious to me.

Depends on the infrastructure of the club I think. Steve Cooper, when offered the job, specifically wanted the role of Head Coach (rather than manager), as it meant he could be directly involved in scouting and recruitment, to ensure he got the players he wants. I don't know the details, but I believe that Marinakis Jr. has got a bit carried away and one or two of the players we've bought in have been without approval from Cooper and Dane Murphy (Murphy being our CEO who is the real brains behind our success - his analytical approach as well as pure scouting has helped us bring in some real quality - think Moneyball - it's not an approach that's been used in Football widely, but he had success at Burnley and has helped transform this club in such a short space of time)..

The Owner (Marinakis Snr.) stated at the Promotion Parade that he wants to build a new legacy and history with Forest and will give Steve Cooper "whatever he needs" to have success in the premier league and that we're not here to make up the numbers.

And in fairness to him, he's stuck to his word and given the club EVERYTHING they need to build a squad to compete. People are rattled because they think we're "doing a Fulham" - but the reality is, 5 loanees lost and 8-10 players out of contract has meant we've needed to buy in so many players to re-build the starting 11 and give us depth at every position so we can be in a position to compete. Had we not done that, we'd be looking at running with our U23's; as good as they are, they're not ready for this level.

With the report I heard about player(s) being bought in without consulting Cooper and Murphy, I think there's truth to it - but I also think that Marinakis has stepped in and said "I'll make this right. We'll get you Gibbs White if you think he's worth the asking price - but I need you to sign your extension so you can take us forward". The belief in the backroom staff is second to none, and rightly so. Cooper and Murphy have done nothing to show that they'll do anything but succeed.

Of course, it's a massive gamble by all parties. The owner is investing this much money with the assumption we're staying up this season - but we all know that's not guaranteed. But there must be something in the longterm plan which suggests they're confident we can do the business - otherwise we wouldn't be going all in with the re-build this summer.

In all honesty, it's super refreshing to have an owner SO invested in the club having had the Kuwaiti conman Fawaz previously who nearly ran the club into administration due to his over inflated ego. The club has been in the gutter for nearly 20 years and we finally have the infrastructure in place to actually succeed. I'm still waiting for it to all come crashing down. :LOL:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In all honesty, it's super refreshing to have an owner SO invested in the club having had the Kuwaiti conman Fawaz previously who nearly ran the club into administration due to his over inflated ego. The club has been in the gutter for nearly 20 years and we finally have the infrastructure in place to actually succeed. I'm still waiting for it to all come crashing down. :LOL:

So one owner is a conman as he ploughs load of money into the club to try and get into the top division but the new one is completely different because he ploughs loads of money into the club to stay in the top division .......:unsure:

Swango1980

Visit site
Agreed. As you said, I think it is very important that those on the board have a really sound idea of what sort of players / philosophy they want to play to, and obviously be really sharp and astute as to building a great foundation to get that (great scouts, relationships outside their club, managers they employ, etc). Then, once a manager comes in, it is important that they get a guy in that is singing from the same hymn sheet. Then, they can all work together to really decide what players they need. The manager should have a great idea on areas he is lacking, and they can work together to solve those problems. Having that great foundation means that, if you get a manager in that doesn't really work out, at least you haven't wasted a whole load of money on players the club might not really have fancied, and then have them in the squad for years to come.

I think City and Liverpool have done that quite well, including getting the right managers in. Man Utd have been appalling. Throwing money out the window to get any potentially big name that might be available, or even thinking some players are decent, spend huge money and then realise they are not all that. Coupled with completely different types of managers, who probably have their own completely different ideas on how football should be played (and one with no experience apart from he used to be a great squad player for the club)

RichA

Visit site
So one owner is a conman as he ploughs load of money into the club to try and get into the top division but the new one is completely different because he ploughs loads of money into the club to stay in the top division .......:unsure:
The first one was an asset stripper who tried to take out more than he put in.
The second one seems to be as you describe.

D

Deleted member 1740

I can't believe how excited Forest fans are about him. Fair enough, seems all parties are delighted about the deal.

Be careful, You said similar about the Jota deal bazza, iirc your quote was "we got the better deal" ??

D

Deleted member 1740

Perhaps you guys should look at the VAR rules...
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1293321#:~:text=The VAR reviews the broadcast,they can recommend an overturn.
Same procedure is used in Internatonal games and likely other countries too.
I'm not surprised that 0% of decisions are upheld as Ref is only directed to screen for clear and obvious errors!
The hair-pulling incident was simply one of those where a Ref made a decision that he later determined he would have ruled differently on.

I'm pretty certain had refs been sent to the monitor to see the Rodri handball V Everton, Kanes (yellow card)dangerous tackle on Robbo, Jota's stonewall non pen v spurs etc then the outcomes would be different.

This "clear and obvious error" is a waste of time. It seems onfield refs are told to change their minds. I can see why they set the bar so high, it's to limit the breaks in play. They dont want refs cjecking monitors left right and centre in some games

Newtonuti

Visit site

Not sure about in premiership clubs, but the Scunthorpe owner appointed his 23 year old son as head of recruitment. This led to players being signed who shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch, and at least two managers leaving due to not being able to sign who THEY wanted.