The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
When teams play the top 3 they can't just sit back and applaud their lovely passing. You have to get in their faces, ruffle them up. That doesn't mean kick them about, you can't do that now anyway, but you have to knock them out of their stride. It worked for one half against liverpool last week, it worked all game today. Today we scored and today Pickford had a great game. You need those things to go your way when you are down at the bottom.

And those tactics work with a soft ref. Thanks for making my point.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Agree about Delph.
Havertz could have joined him though.
Thought Pickford was brilliant, but some poor finishing cost you.

What really cost us was yet again giving the ball away in our own half through poor defending or decision making. Man Utd at home, Arsenal at home, Real Madrid at home and now Everton away. And I'd say it was more Pickford than poor finishing but don't disagree with your general point. (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
And those tactics work with a soft ref. Thanks for making my point.
If you think that's the case and that's why you lost then fair enough. I think most will think you are kidding yourself though.

With the history of Chelsea, from Mourinho onwards, the idea of Chelsea fans complaining about this is pretty darned funny as well.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
And that’s what’s wrong in football, players hounding the ref. I’m all for a team captain being able to ask the questions, respectfully, but no one else. I didn’t see anything wrong with 95% of the decisions for BOTH sides. It’s a contact sport at the business end of the season that saw some robust, strong challenges from BOTH sides. I thought Friend was very restrained and, probably, could have booked a couple more from both sides.

Mrs Hobbit, a closet Chelsea fan, was very disappointed with their behaviour today.

And he wasn't afforded that opportunity without trying to fight his way past half the Everton team. Yet he was booked for trying.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Definitely one of Chelseas best performances for Lampard thats for sure lol

Utterly insipid stuff from Arsenal so far against a stronger than id have expected West Ham side!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
And he wasn't afforded that opportunity without trying to fight his way past half the Everton team. Yet he was booked for trying.

I guess we were watching different matches, or have different interpretations of what we saw. “Booked for trying,” or what he said when he got there? Suggesting he was booked for trying doesn’t sound like a robust argument… A Premier League ref would book someone for trying to have a conversation??? Sound kinda laughable really…

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wish Bowen wouldn't have dived. That challenge was reckless..studs up. Should have taken it and would be a red. Keepers out of control.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I guess we were watching different matches, or have different interpretations of what we saw. “Booked for trying,” or what he said when he got there? Suggesting he was booked for trying doesn’t sound like a robust argument… A Premier League ref would book someone for trying to have a conversation??? Sound kinda laughable really…

No, he apparently booked him for trying to get to him to have the conversation, judging by Friend's gestures. We'll agree to differ in our interpretations.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair play arsenal, we clearly had one eye on Thursday but it was an even match and they were better on the day

Shows how important Dawson is to us ATM (and ogbonna when fit)

One of them on the pitch and least one of them goals doesn't happen..poor marking

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wish Bowen wouldn't have dived. That challenge was reckless..studs up. Should have taken it and would be a red. Keepers out of control.

I felt he didn't dive so much as avoided the contact (which I agree would have been a red as very reckless) and, in doing so, lost balance whilst travelling at pace. With all the ridiculous dives and simulation going on unpunished I thought a yellow was harsh.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What is it with all the flares at matches nowadays? Most matches I have been to in the last 2-3 years ( only about 10) we have been searched, including one game when my Mrs had to take her bobble hat off to show she had nothing under it! But still these morons seem to get them past ‘security’. Even at Wembley for the Papa Johns Trophy there were flares being let off.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I felt he didn't dive so much as avoided the contact (which I agree would have been a red as very reckless) and, in doing so, lost balance whilst travelling at pace. With all the ridiculous dives and simulation going on unpunished I thought a yellow was harsh.

Whilst I'm inclined to agree and it should be a red it just seems that's football now

Never seen arsenal waste so much time against us. Was weird lol

Felt apart from his well taken goal Bowen was poor today. Gave away the ball that led to the first goal

Do feel the team had 1 eye on Thursday

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Still a reckless 'challenge', so Yellow definitely justified. Wouldn't have been surprised if Red because of 'last man', though with no real contact, that would have been a bit harsh.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

That’s how I saw it, not a foul but not a booking for diving. But Mike Dean is useless so would expect nothing less.
Also didn’t realise how much I really really hate Arteta, the way he prances up and down the line waving his arms about and the way his team wastes time with fake injuries and general slowing down the game had me raging in the 2nd half! ??