The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's definitely Gary Charles

100% definitely Gary Charles. Victim of an absolute horror challenge by Paul Gascoigne in the 1991 FA Cup final. One for which, despite his own injury, Gascoigne should have been sent off for. Second red card offence he’d committed in that game yet miraculously his team were not punished by being reduced to ten men.

Never had any sympathy for Gascoigne for the injury he sustained himself as a result. Purely down to his own stupidity and recklessness and he should have been sent off for it in disgrace, not lauded as some sort of tragic hero.

Last edited:

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
100% definitely Gary Charles. Victim of an absolute horror challenge by Paul Gascoigne in the 1991 FA Cup final. One for which, despite his own injury, Gascoigne should have been sent off for. Second red card offence he’d committed in that game yet miraculously his team were not punished by being reduced to ten men.

Never had any sympathy for Gascoigne for the injury he sustained himself as a result. Purely down to his own stupidity and recklessness and he should have been sent off for it in disgrace, not lauded as some sort of tragic hero.

I couldn’t understand why Gascoigne was too fired up for that game. After all he’s played on the biggest stage in the 1990 World Cup before!!!!
Reports were that Gascoigne was like a man possessed beforehand.
He was a naturally gifted talent who didn’t reach the heights that he should’ve.
Personally I think Terry Venables should’ve managed him better and reigned him in.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Mmmm, because your lads aren't dishing anything out.......

Come on then, justify the Everton behaviour towards Azpilicueta when he went to talk to the referee, and Azpilicuta's booking; justify the lack of action against Delph & others for blatant late challenges that even the home commentary team have picked up?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Come on then, justify the Everton behaviour towards Azpilicueta when he went to talk to the referee, and Azpilicuta's booking; justify the lack of action against Delph & others for blatant late challenges that even the home commentary team have picked up?

As a neutral, I’m surprised Chelsea finished with 11 men and Azpilicuta was first to get a red. The Chelsea players hounded the ref time and again, way more than Everton’s players. Wouldn’t happen in rugby.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
As a neutral, I’m surprised Chelsea finished with 11 men and Azpilicuta was first to get a red. The Chelsea players hounded the ref time and again, way more than Everton’s players. Wouldn’t happen in rugby.

And in their position I'd be demanding an explanation for some of those decisions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Azpilicueta had no need to talk to the ref. Mount, I think, committed the foul, yellow card, move on. Azpilicueta then runs towards the ref to get in his face. Why do that, it serves no purpose, other than an attempt to pressure the ref. A couple of Everton players then join in, they shouldn't have. They should have let him implode on his own. He could have gone yellow, yellow in quick succession, all good for us.

Delph was booked, could have got another, no question. At the same time, Havertz could have walked with him, as could Azpilicueta.

Your 'clean' team ended with 5 bookings though ?.

Huge win for us, huge. One point wasn't enough after Burnley's win. On to Leicester.......

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
And in their position I'd be demanding an explanation for some of those decisions.

And that’s what’s wrong in football, players hounding the ref. I’m all for a team captain being able to ask the questions, respectfully, but no one else. I didn’t see anything wrong with 95% of the decisions for BOTH sides. It’s a contact sport at the business end of the season that saw some robust, strong challenges from BOTH sides. I thought Friend was very restrained and, probably, could have booked a couple more from both sides.

Mrs Hobbit, a closet Chelsea fan, was very disappointed with their behaviour today.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rugby refs would just not put up with it.
It’s about time the PL did it and told teams any thing in the refs face and it’s a card. ( choose colour depending on what they say.)
But they won’t !

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Azpilicueta had no need to talk to the ref. Mount, I think, committed the foul, yellow card, move on. Azpilicueta then runs towards the ref to get in his face. Why do that, it serves no purpose, other than an attempt to pressure the ref. A couple of Everton players then join in, they shouldn't have. They should have let him implode on his own. He could have gone yellow, yellow in quick succession, all good for us.

Delph was booked, could have got another, no question. At the same time, Havertz could have walked with him, as could Azpilicueta.

Huge win for us, huge. One point wasn't enough after Burnley's win. On to Leicester.......

Yes very big win for you I was watching with my bil who’s a Liverpool fan and we were both wanting Everton to win.

Everton deserved that win they just had more fight about them and won the game the way they wanted to play.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes very big win for you I was watching with my bil who’s a Liverpool fan and we were both wanting Everton to win.

Everton deserved that win they just had more fight about them and won the game the way they wanted to play.
When teams play the top 3 they can't just sit back and applaud their lovely passing. You have to get in their faces, ruffle them up. That doesn't mean kick them about, you can't do that now anyway, but you have to knock them out of their stride. It worked for one half against liverpool last week, it worked all game today. Today we scored and today Pickford had a great game. You need those things to go your way when you are down at the bottom.

Blue in Munich

Visit site

It's for Azpilicueta to decide whether or not he needs to talk to the referee, and for the referee to tell him he has no case if that is the case; it's not for Coleman or any other Everton player to get involved. Friend then bottled it & took the easy option.

the first offence was by far worse & should have been the first booking.

Don't believe I ever suggested that our players didn't deserve some of their cards, just that it was one way traffic.