The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

We can't get Barca in the final, we have them in the semis if we beat Lyon (providing they beat Frankfurt)

So the point remains. You've got a chance in a 1 off game to get CL football, surely leading upto it, you rest your best players given the circumstances?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the point remains. You've got a chance in a 1 off game to get CL football, surely leading upto it, you rest your best players given the circumstances?

We have a one off game Thursday to get to the semi final

We didn't rest our best players today

Much as I don't like noble he could have given rice a rest or Antonio a rest with Bowen up top as he been out and is fresher

We didn't

Same against villa between the Seville games when we were 1-0 down from first leg

Yes we should be resting players but it's not a certainty

D

Deleted member 1740

We have a one off game Thursday to get to the semi final

We didn't rest our best players today

Much as I don't like noble he could have given rice a rest or Antonio a rest with Bowen up top as he been out and is fresher

We didn't

Same against villa between the Seville games when we were 1-0 down from first leg

Yes we should be resting players but it's not a certainty

Bit of a difference as there's 7 games left now.

Its all hypothetical. They need to win at least 2 games and draw the other before it becomes a possibility.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personal opinion but definitely time for West ham to throw every egg into the Europa basket. Think they should've found a way to rest a few today (Antonio especially), also think they should probably be playing their best side Thursday but assume Moyes will persevere with Areola in the nets.

Winning Europa and qualifying for the CL compared to fighting for 5th/6th/7th/8th (4th is surely out of reach now)

Seems the players mind are on the European games anyway

D

Deleted member 1740

Personal opinion but definitely time for West ham to throw every egg into the Europa basket. Think they should've found a way to rest a few today (Antonio especially), also think they should probably be playing their best side Thursday but assume Moyes will persevere with Areola in the nets.

Winning Europa and qualifying for the CL compared to fighting for 5th/6th/7th/8th (4th is surely out of reach now)

Very well put.

Winning the EL puts you straight into the group stage too, theyd be unseeded if they finished 4th and would more than likely have a harder draw.

4 wins is all it takes

Last edited by a moderator:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Moyes spent 30 million on vlasic who personally I think given time is gonna be a good player for us

Yet he doesn't start him today in favour of keeping the same team

Personally I'd of rested zouma, rice, Antonio, Bowen minimum today

Given diop, noble, vlasic and yarmeleko a game

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly the same tackle from Silva on Robertson. Thought both were the same fouls.

Surprised KDB never got booked for the same challenge on Fabinho.
I think the ref let a lot go and they did take some liberties.
But that tackle by Fabinho looked really nasty and deliberate .
Maybe the slow Mo makes it look worse ,but don’t disagree there were others.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Tough call financially....
Geting into Europa Semi is worth about £1m
Finishing a place higher in Prem League is worth around £3 to 4m, plus the likelihood of EL next year.
Can Hammers actually win EL this year? I doubt it, though would love to see it.
So my (financial) emphasis would be on PL from after Thursday, to stay 7th at worst.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

If West Ham can qualify for the Champions League by winning the Europa League, does that mean Rotherham Utd can qualify as Papa Johns Trophy winners? ;)
Up the Millers!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If West Ham can qualify for the Champions League by winning the Europa League, does that mean Rotherham Utd can qualify as Papa Johns Trophy winners? ;)
Up the Millers!
Neilds are Rotherham stuttering. Look a bit like Scottie (cost a pair of shoes) scheffler at the 18th at the moment. Yet they dominated the division for so long.

D

Deleted member 1740

Tough call financially....
Geting into Europa Semi is worth about £1m
Finishing a place higher in Prem League is worth around £3 to 4m, plus the likelihood of EL next year.
Can Hammers actually win EL this year? I doubt it, though would love to see it.
So my (financial) emphasis would be on PL from after Thursday, to stay 7th at worst.

Finances shouldn't get in the way of trying to win trophies.

D

Deleted member 1740

You haven't met our owners.

We both know if you gave them the option of an extra £4m or a european trophy, £4.5m and CL football next year they'd take the latter.

Like i said earlier, it wont matter unless they get to the final.

By that time it'll be after your 36th game so i would expect Moyes to rest his main men for the last 2 games v City at Home and Brighton Away.

Just looked, all 4 games are finely poised too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tottenham score 9 goals in their last 2 games and Harry Kane doesn’t get 1.
I wonder what odds the bookies would have given
7 assists though in his last 3 games! (According to Fantasy league.) He really is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. He'd even do a better job in defence than some of our players.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Finances shouldn't get in the way of trying to win trophies.
That - and the likelihood of (reasonable) comments like PJ87s - was the reason for the '1st line disclaimer'.
I'm somewhat ambivalent, but inclined, just, to opt for the Prem League/Financial position, which would also provide European Football next year. I just don't feel they/we are likely to win EL this year - but hope to be wrong!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Tottenham score 9 goals in their last 2 games and Harry Kane doesn’t get 1.
I wonder what odds the bookies would have given
Well, Tottenham scoring that many goals in 2 games would be highly against the odds in the 1st place! :LOL:
One of Kanes 'qualities' is that he's so dangerous that he drags defences away for others to pounce on. Might not help his statistics, but helps the team ones!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Neilds are Rotherham stuttering. Look a bit like Scottie (cost a pair of shoes) scheffler at the 18th at the moment. Yet they dominated the division for so long.
They are having a bit of a wobble. Dominated on Saturday but only one shot on target. No goals form the strikers for a few games as well. We have a couple of games in hand over MK Dons in 2nd (3 points ahead) so hopefully will be ok, but need a turn round soon!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We both know if you gave them the option of an extra £4m or a european trophy, £4.5m and CL football next year they'd take the latter.

Like i said earlier, it wont matter unless they get to the final.

By that time it'll be after your 36th game so i would expect Moyes to rest his main men for the last 2 games v City at Home and Brighton Away.

Just looked, all 4 games are finely poised too.
It's rather different for teams 'on the edge' from those virtually guaranteed CL football every year. Even just getting into CL is hugely rewarding, with extra benefits for 'reasonable' results even just in gtoup stages! But for relative minnows, with smaller squads and far less backing, it's a gamble - either way!

D

Deleted member 1740

It's rather different for teams 'on the edge' from those virtually guaranteed CL football every year. Even just getting into CL is hugely rewarding, with extra benefits for 'reasonable' results even just in gtoup stages! But for relative minnows, with smaller squads and far less backing, it's a gamble - either way!

Of course and i totally understand that. Finishing 4th isnt easy in this league and as it stands West Ham wont finish 4th with the quality around them.

They're currently sitting in 6th and will probably finish between 6th-8th looking at their games coming up.

If and its a big if, they beat Lyon (which i think they will) and either Barca or Frankfurt they've got either Atlanta/Leipzig or Rangers/Braga in the final.

I'd say those games are easier than Chelsea away City at home

In my opinion it'd be easier (not easy!) to win the Europa cup rather than finish 4th.

I wonder where the owners really expected West ham to finish at the start of the season? I'd wager 6th-8th.