The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

You do realise Man Utd won the 2008 CL playing negative football? Ferguson parked the bus away at Lyon, Inter and Barca. The final was hardly a displaying of attacking class either. Ferguson liked to play attacking football but he would do whatever it took to win. Infact in almost every big away game from 2004 onwards he'd pack the midfield and rely on counter attacking football. The idea Man Utd played all out attacking football is simply not true. Think back to 2012 when he parked the bus away at City and played for 0-0, only to get done by a Kompany header. Cost Utd the title....on goal difference.

Rooney out on the left was his european tactic after he’d watched Benitez and Mourinho do the same.

infairness it worked. He realised he couldn't play the attacking PL style football and adjusted.

He deserves credit for that.

He should've won more European Cups with the squad he had though.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So you would turn down winning the title because of the way a manager sets his tam up ?!

Of course would take him

Would take winning the league regardless of how it’s done
-sport is a competition, it’s about winning titles and trophies at the top level.

Man Utd fans celebrate winning 20 titles - they don’t celebrate entertainment
Oil money? ??‍♂️

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my opinion yes.

You lost interest in the season weeks ago, when your team starts under performing its easier to justify missing games etc.

I dont care what you've done previously, when your team is struggling there's always those who'll bail.

I've seen it myself at my own club under Evans,Houllier,Hodgson and Rodgers.

There's some of us that have never had the privilege of experiencing the alternative.

4LEX

Visit site
Rooney out on the left was his european tactic after he’d watched Benitez and Mourinho do the same.

infairness it worked. He realised he couldn't play the attacking PL style football and adjusted.

He deserves credit for that.

He should've won more European Cups with the squad he had though.

Spot on. He was wise enough to realise you can't play 442 and attack in Europe and win. I'd argue that happened around 2001 and before Benitez though. It's just he didn't have the balance from 2002 to 2006 to make it count as Utd were a mish mash in that era. Utd deffo should've won more, 97, 98, 2002 and 2007 especially.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You do realise Man Utd won the 2008 CL playing negative football? Ferguson parked the bus away at Lyon, Inter and Barca. The final was hardly a displaying of attacking class either. Ferguson liked to play attacking football but he would do whatever it took to win. Infact in almost every big away game from 2004 onwards he'd pack the midfield and rely on counter attacking football. The idea Man Utd played all out attacking football is simply not true. Think back to 2012 when he parked the bus away at City and played for 0-0, only to get done by a Kompany header. Cost Utd the title....on goal difference.
Thanks for the memories Stu. Helped to cement Komoanys status as a legend at City. ?