The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So you would turn down winning the title because of the way a manager sets his tam up ?!

Of course would take him

Would take winning the league regardless of how it’s done -sport is a competition, it’s about winning titles and trophies at the top level.

Man Utd fans celebrate winning 20 titles - they don’t celebrate entertainment
Ok, some might agree
But some would be horrified to see him in charge .
But if winning is everything then it’s just business first.
Not for me though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I see the argument with Simeone and yes it would be great for the club to be winning things but I wouldn't watch them. He is the antithesis of what I want from a manager and the way I would want football played. Would hate to see a team play in the mould of Athletico

D

Deleted member 15344

In an instant.
I'd sooner lose with honour, rather than win with shame.
I have sorrow for those that feel otherwise.

Lose with honour ?

No such thing in football -honour left a long time ago when tactical fouls and time wasting etc - do you not remember the antics of the Utd manager on the sidelines or the players surrounding the ref during your successful period.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lose with honour ?

No such thing in football -honour left a long time ago when tactical fouls and time wasting etc - do you not remember the antics of the Utd manager on the sidelines or the players surrounding the ref during your successful period.

I thought you were talking about Simeone in 2022, why mention things from over a decde ago?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
In my opinion yes.

You lost interest in the season weeks ago, when your team starts under performing its easier to justify missing games etc.

I dont care what you've done previously, when your team is struggling there's always those who'll bail.

I've seen it myself at my own club under Evans,Houllier,Hodgson and Rodgers.

I’ve “bailed”, as you put it, because life is too short to spend 90 minutes every other week being bored to tears.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but kindly don’t tell me why I choose to watch football or give it a miss. I know why I make the choices I do. You, with respect, know jack.

D

Deleted member 15344

I thought you were talking about Simeone in 2022, why mention things from over a decde ago?

Because you are talking about honour and shame etc - Simeone wasn’t the first manager to act like he does on the sideline and the Man Utd players of the 90/00’s certainly didn’t act with “honour” - but I bet you didn’t care as they won title after title

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So you would turn down winning the title because of the way a manager sets his tam up ?!

Of course would take him

Would take winning the league regardless of how it’s done -sport is a competition, it’s about winning titles and trophies at the top level.

Man Utd fans celebrate winning 20 titles - they don’t celebrate entertainment

United have been lucky enough to have had both. ?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because you are talking about honour and shame etc - Simeone wasn’t the first manager to act like he does on the sideline and the Man Utd players of the 90/00’s certainly didn’t act with “honour” - but I bet you didn’t care as they won title after title

That's decades ago, I didn't care then, but we're not talking about then.
Over many, many years peoples' values change, as mine have and, I'm sure, yours have.
Fast forward to the question you actually asked, 'would you take Simeone if it guaranteed a title', and my answer remains the same .......... no.
For the reasons I explained before you wound the clock back by 20 or 30 years.

D

Deleted member 1740

I’ve “bailed”, as you put it, because life is too short to spend 90 minutes every other week being bored to tears.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but kindly don’t tell me why I choose to watch football or give it a miss. I know why I make the choices I do. You, with respect, know jack.

You don’t have to justify to me why you're not bothered no more. I couldn’t give two flying frigs to be honest.

After all, it was you who took Umbrage to my glory hunters comment and asked me to qualify it.

I did so and now you’re telling not to?‍♂️?‍♂️

Enjoy the foreseeable from the comfort of your armchair ?

4LEX

Visit site
Man Utd were dire today, against a really poor Everton side. No idea what they were thinking hiring Rangick. Totally under qualified for the job and it now looks they're ignoring his suggestions and moving him on from a future consultant role which are the only things he's good at.

An even worse decision is brewing in ETH too. A manager who likes to play 433, play out from the back and work with hardworking players with no egos. You couldn't imagine a worse fit with the squad and the style of the league. Staggering decision to take a gamble on someone unproven. The last decent Ajax manager was sacked by Palace after a few months.

Feel a bit sorry for Arsenal, I said a month ago they had a very tough run in. While Arteta has done a good job overall this season was about transition and he needs a good summer window to really move Arsenal on. They've been spanked by the top sides and been fortunate in a lot of games this season.

You've got to hand it to Conte, he came in to mess and has reorganised Spurs. A few bumps in the road but his two signings in January were excellent. The front three are as good as anything City have. Kane leading the line with power and intelligence, two great wingers running off him. Hopefully they get fourth. If they do and back him with some key signings they'll be up there for Top 4 and cups next year.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's decades ago, I didn't care then, but we're not talking about then.
Over many, many years peoples' values change, as mine have and, I'm sure, yours have.
Fast forward to the question you actually asked, 'would you take Simeone if it guaranteed a title', and my answer remains the same .......... no.
For the reasons I explained before you wound the clock back by 20 or 30 years.

Because ultimately you were winning trophies

If Simeone came in and you won the league there is imo no doubt you would be celebrating - and that’s the same with any team that wins

D

Deleted member 1740

In an instant.
I feel sorrow for those that feel otherwise.

Was there any honour today? Or when Liverpool put 5 past them? ??

D

Deleted member 15344

So what you are saying is that my original answer was, in fact, a blatant lie.
Thanks for that. (y)

So Man Utd employ Simeone , they go on and win the title pipping Liverpool by one point using all his tricks and fouls and spoiling tactics along with timewasting and you wouldn’t celebrate- seriously ?

4LEX

Visit site
In an instant.
I feel sorrow for those that feel otherwise.

You do realise Man Utd won the 2008 CL playing negative football? Ferguson parked the bus away at Lyon, Inter and Barca. The final was hardly a displaying of attacking class either. Ferguson liked to play attacking football but he would do whatever it took to win. Infact in almost every big away game from 2004 onwards he'd pack the midfield and rely on counter attacking football. The idea Man Utd played all out attacking football is simply not true. Think back to 2012 when he parked the bus away at City and played for 0-0, only to get done by a Kompany header. Cost Utd the title....on goal difference.