The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
it didn’t do any harm when the club kept Fergie on in similar circumstances.
This keeps getting churned out, same can be said about Everton and Howard Kendall and his 'about to be sacked, not sacked, won trophies ' moment. They are the exceptions rather than the rule though, both 35-40 years ago.

How long do you give someone before you bring the hammer down? How far does the decline have to go and for how long? That's not pointed just at this precise moment, it's a general comment.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
This keeps getting churned out, same can be said about Everton and Howard Kendall and his 'about to be sacked, not sacked, won trophies ' moment. They are the exceptions rather than the rule though, both 35-40 years ago.

How long do you give someone before you bring the hammer down? How far does the decline have to go and for how long? That's not pointed just at this precise moment, it's a general comment.

I think the how long depends on ambition, or unfulfilled ambition. Utd finished 8th, only 8pts off 4th. Not good enough for the fans, and I dare say the board too. Other clubs would be chuffed with a top 10 finish.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
True enough, but all this speculation could be stopped in a heart beat.
I'm sure, if Ineos were keeping EtH, they'd have said so weeks ago.

Whilst a large part of me agrees, equally it’s entirely possible that Ineos told ten Hag weeks ago that his job was safe.

From a fan’s perspective it appears very messy. But as Bri says, this is a story which was started within the media, and perpetuated by them.

The longer it drags on, the more I suspect the manager is staying. Any new manager needs as long a pre season as possible. Unless, of course, that manager is currently busy with other things. And frankly that does not even bear thinking about.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst a large part of me agrees, equally it’s entirely possible that Ineos told ten Hag weeks ago that his job was safe.

From a fan’s perspective it appears very messy. But as Bri says, this is a story which was started within the media, and perpetuated by them.

The longer it drags on, the more I suspect the manager is staying. Any new manager needs as long a pre season as possible. Unless, of course, that manager is currently busy with other things. And frankly that does not even bear thinking about.

If that's the case, why don't they tell us.
I can imagine any prospective new signing would like to know who they'd be working for before signing a contract.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
If that's the case, why don't they tell us.
I can imagine any prospective new signing would like to know who they'd be working for before signing a contract.

But if the manager is under contract neither he nor Ineos are under any obligation to make any statement. There is absolutely no need to come out in public and confirm that both sides are continuing to honour that contract. The pressing need for a public statement only really becomes a necessity if they sack him.

If the owners have decided the manager is staying, then any potential signings know who they are going to be working with. I say again, this is only a story at the moment for those who write the stories.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the how long depends on ambition, or unfulfilled ambition. Utd finished 8th, only 8pts off 4th. Not good enough for the fans, and I dare say the board too. Other clubs would be chuffed with a top 10 finish.
8 points but a million miles in reality.

I agree about the ambition aspect. Let's also not forget those other mid table teams are not spending £200m in a transfer window, have multiple players on £200-350k per week. Those sorts of figures tend to bring high hopes with them.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I agree about the ambition aspect. Let's also not forget those other mid table teams are not spending £200m in a transfer window, have multiple players on £200-350k per week. Those sorts of figures tend to bring high hopes with them.

It’s 8 points, and that is the reality. 3 games. Compared to the top 3, yes they’re not in the same street. But there’s very little difference in quality between 4th and 8th. Maybe Villa in 4th are a step above but not much. Bearing in mind the starting point for all the other teams outside the top 3, hundreds of millions have to be spent to get up there.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brighton are looking at signing an American manager , yet another who the hell is he signing that hopefully will be a bit of clever move , managed a German 2nd division side last year and won promotion with them , apparently he is a very attack minded manager.
Let the good times roll. 🙏

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Or have multiple players being mis-managed in the treatment room.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brighton are looking at signing an American manager , yet another who the hell is he signing that hopefully will be a bit of clever move , managed a German 2nd division side last year and won promotion with them , apparently he is a very attack minded manager.
Attack minded, so was Dezerbi but you hated him. 😂

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

De Zerbi was very much attacking minded and you appeared to not like him or rate him much

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
He was. Him and Lawrenson were rock solid at LFC and complemented each other wonderfully, and as a Utd supporter I hated them for it.
Spoken to to him a few times back in the day, thoroughly decent bloke.
Good golfer as well.

It’s easy to forget how good they were as a pair

It’s still laughable that Ferguson didn’t take Hansen to Mexico in 86 , he was prob the best CB in both the English and Scottish leagues at that time