Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The last bit for me is key

Defence picks itself (because we don't have one) as does kane up top

However for me the midfield should be something like

-------bellingham rice

Saka ------foden -----gordon

If foden doesn't work then Palmer in there

Don't be putting Bellingham as a 10 because he does it well for Madrid.. he is a fantastic all round midfielder, him and rice are a great partnership.. allowing you to try foden there and not play a second defensive player who doesn't offer as much

Personally I'm biased and I'd like to squeeze Bowen in there as he is exactly the kind of player you need at a tournament but Saka gets the nod
Thought Bowen did well. When he played

But we tried to play through the middle to much in both games and failed miserably.
We actually did well when we went wide to Bowen / Eze and Gordon / Palmer but Kane still wants to be CM and nobody takes his place upfront when he drops into midfield.
Surley GS must be aware of that and gives the wide men no target in the box and so we get backward passes.

There was just no urgency imo.
Typical friendly atmosphere didn’t help.
But these players are playing for their places in a major tournament I expected more from the players .

I am not a fan of GS but the players showed no fight imo and need to shoulder some of the criticism.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The last sentence is a very valid point. And this is where Southgate fails miserably. If Pep was running that team he would be saying to Kane. “ if you are alongside Foden, Bellingham and others in midfield, you will be sat on the subs bench”. Foden needs a player to pass to up front. At City he has Haaland and Alvarez. Kane is as good as Haaland. But this highlights what I have said about England. They are carrying Southgate. Kane drops for the ball because he is not getting it. If that is down to Southgate telling him to do that, then there is something seriously wrong.
It must be tactical it’s been happening for to long for GS to miss it 😳
What those tactics are is a mystery.
If it’s to drag the CB out then someone needs to go past Kane into the strikers role but that isn’t happening!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought Bowen did well.
But we tried to play through the middle to much imo.
We actually did well when we went wide to Bowen and Gordon but Kane still wants to be CM and nobody takes his place upfront when he drops into midfield.
Surley GS must be aware of that and gives the wide men no target in the box and so we get backward passes.

There was just no urgency imo.
Typical friendly atmosphere didn’t help.
But these players are playing for their places in a major tournament I expected more from the players .

I am not a fan of GS but the players showed no fight imo and need to shoulder some of the criticism.

Bowen didn't come on last night did he?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Foden doesn’t suddenly turn in to a bad player because he hasn’t got Haarland in front of him or Rodri behind him, but for England he doesn’t seem to have any confidence or the ability to find space.

He amongst 10 others looked very average last night, Gordon is getting praise for taking people on! Sorry, but isn’t that his job and what would be expected ftom anyone playing out wide.

I get that it was a friendly, I get none of them would want to get injured, but the whole performance was devoud of ideas and reeked of desperation as the game went on.

If it happens in the Euros I really expect the players on the pitch to step up and be afraid to use their ability and initiative.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Foden doesn’t suddenly turn in to a bad player because he hasn’t got Haarland in front of him or Rodri behind him, but for England he doesn’t seem to have any confidence or the ability to find space.

He amongst 10 others looked very average last night, Gordon is getting praise for taking people on! Sorry, but isn’t that his job and what would be expected ftom anyone playing out wide.

I get that it was a friendly, I get none of them would want to get injured, but the whole performance was devoud of ideas and reeked of desperation as the game went on.

If it happens in the Euros I really expect the players on the pitch to step up and be afraid to use their ability and initiative.
Maybe he’s getting praise because he was the only player “doing his job” 🤷‍♂️

4LEX

Visit site
If that’s what they have actually done, of course.

When every single media outlet was reporting the same thing it gives you a good idea?

I refuse to believe they're that stupid to be waiting on Southgate but it is starting to look that way..

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
When every single media outlet was reporting the same thing it gives you a good idea?

I refuse to believe they're that stupid to be waiting on Southgate but it is starting to look that way..

It’s not really that unusual for media and press outlets to fabricate stories and start rumours. Just look at the players United are supposed to be signing each and every summer.

4LEX

Visit site
It’s not really that unusual for media and press outlets to fabricate stories and start rumours. Just look at the players United are supposed to be signing each and every summer.

You don't think it's a bit strange not to make a decision on the manager by now?!

4LEX

Visit site
GS might win the Euros and then the PL with UTD what odds on that.?🏆🙈😉

I would be very happy with that to be honest. The odds would be around 100-1 as England are favs for the Euros and Man Utd are 25-1, which probably improve slightly with Southgate if he won the Euros.

Probably better to invest in Bradley Wiggin's company though 😅

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
You don't think it's a bit strange not to make a decision on the manager by now?!

Maybe they’ve made a decision and he’s staying. He’s under contract, don’t forget.

It’s all speculation until someone says otherwise.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
True enough, but all this speculation could be stopped in a heart beat.
I'm sure, if Ineos were keeping EtH, they'd have said so weeks ago.

It could well be stopped in a heartbeat but surely a well run business marches to its own tune? The media created the story, not the club, on the back of some poor performances.

It may well be that Ineos are considering a change, and maybe the FA Cup win created a pause… it didn’t do any harm when the club kept Fergie on in similar circumstances.