The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I couldn't quite believe that you aren't bottom, never mind you are not bottom 3. That gives you a chance. Start the season next game in effect.

Our mentality was totally wrong second half so it was hard to tell if you were much better or we gave you too much time on the ball. Step one is surely to stop the playing around at the back. Fine to have a philosophy but to not mix it up makes it easy to play against. Equally the defence is not good enough to pass around the back like Beckenbauer. It should be noted at this point that we make the exact same mistake ☹. We can get away with it against lower teams, not against the better ones.

RLC made a real difference, it's cotton wool time for him. At least with him out there you had a shape and a pattern.

I'd send one of your centre halfs up for the next pen. Tell him 5 paces and then hit it as hard as he can. Nothing fancy, just raw power. A pretty player may decide to do something else, your CB should just follow orders ?. I have to confess, I laughed at the miss today, it was that bad. Had I been a Fulham fan I daren't think what the emotion would have been.

It's always been a struggle for the last 47 or so years. The thing is they dangle that carrot of hope (like getting the second goal and coming onto Everton) but can't do the basics right defending including tracking the man in the box. We've played out of the back all of last season but the difference between doing it against a good PL side and a championship side is clear. Indeed when we did it in matches last year against sides like Brentford and Leeds they caught us out.

I admire what Parker has done. He's young and like the team, learning in the PL. I wonder though if the time is right to get a solid right hand man, ideally a defensively minded coach to give him someone solid to bounce ideas off and get experience from a "been there done it" person and someone that can really drill the back line. When we had Ray Wilkins as a number two it was a perfect foil for the manager

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's always been a struggle for the last 47 or so years. The thing is they dangle that carrot of hope (like getting the second goal and coming onto Everton) but can't do the basics right defending including tracking the man in the box. We've played out of the back all of last season but the difference between doing it against a good PL side and a championship side is clear. Indeed when we did it in matches last year against sides like Brentford and Leeds they caught us out.

I admire what Parker has done. He's young and like the team, learning in the PL. I wonder though if the time is right to get a solid right hand man, ideally a defensively minded coach to give him someone solid to bounce ideas off and get experience from a "been there done it" person and someone that can really drill the back line. When we had Ray Wilkins as a number two it was a perfect foil for the manager
It seems to happen so often. Club gets into trouble, manager sticks to passing philosophy, gets sacked. Old school manager comes in, stiffens defence, drills defence and midfield, team picks up (not always enough but some). I agree with you, you need an old school coach to drill the team over and over, apparently something Hodgson does a lot of. Mix that with the rest of your style and you will be okay. Will Parker see that?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How many times does a so called top level professional footballer have to be pulled for a foul throw before he learns? seriously? 4 and counting this year already lol

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Totally agree but why on earth did the Leeds player go down like a sack of poo?

Because otherwise no one would have picked up on the headbutt. Its not. Like every other player in the PL wouldn't do the same.

Don't throw a headbutt at a player any you won't get sent off. Quite straight forward really.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Arsenal have scabbed a point here, if Leeds could finish, this would/could have been an embarrassing scoreline!

D

Deleted member 1740

Glazers have been owners since 2005 is it ?

was it 5 titles and and CL in 8 years ?

Maybe the focus should be away from the owners and at the managers , transfers and players that have arrived since 2013

Nice and easy to blame owners but a lot of money has been spent , a lot of players have arrived

What is often overlooked is the state of the squad that was left by Ferguson

Yes they were champions but it was won with a firing Van Persie, not a solid defence like the previous 20yrs.

Luckily Yernited don't have a yes man in charge now.....oh

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Yes they were champions but it was won with a firing Van Persie, not a solid defence like the previous 20yrs.

sounds familiar to the situ were in too! horrid squad and massive asset devaluation in the latter years of a great manager

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Arsenal have scabbed a point here, if Leeds could finish, this would/could have been an embarrassing scoreline!

Disappointed with a point there. We should really have beaten a very poor Arsenal team.

Happy with a clean sheet though for a change.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. What is often overlooked is the state of the squad that was left by Ferguson

2. Yes they were champions but it was won with a firing Van Persie, not a solid defence like the previous 20yrs.

3. Luckily Yernited don't have a yes man in charge now.....oh

1. Bob on
2. Bob on
3. Why would they employ a 'no' man?

D

Deleted member 15344

No doubt the squad wasn’t great but it’s now been 7/8 years and over £800mil spent by them under 3 managers

I’m just glad they are sticking with the yes man - if they got a decent manager in and with the funds they spend then it wouldn’t take long for them to be back amongst it

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I couldn't quite believe that you aren't bottom, never mind you are not bottom 3. That gives you a chance. Start the season next game in effect.

You obviously haven't seen their next 3 fixtures. Leicester away, Man City away and Liverpool at home. I can't see where they will get a point out of those three games so maybe they should start their season on 15th December with Brighton at home. (y)