The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

Kavannagh and Tierney are comfortably the worst by far.

That says something when Attwell isn’t even close.

D

Deleted member 1740

I can't type too much at the moment as still not calmed down, but as soon as I saw Kevin Friend as the ref I knew we would be talking about decisions rather than football. It's a massive shame as it was a cracking game and some superb football from both sides. Liverpool are class, but that second half from us was simply brilliant.....until......arghhhhhhh!!!!

A proper game of 2 halves that yesterday, I thought Thursday nights game took its toll out of us although Palace were brilliant 2nd half.

Least said the better about the pen. I’m only glad it never decided the result, I couldn’t handle the conspiracy theorists?

D

Deleted member 1740

Anyone thinking that old school refs were better are forgetting they didn't have 17 cameras picking up a range of mistakes. Refs have never been under more scrutiny.

It was only seen by match going fans who by the time they got home it was usually forgotten, none of this 38 angles slowed down to 6m/s and watching on twitter lark.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the Newcastle fans will vote Trelford Mills as the worst referee. Used to play cricket with him and his lad in Barnsley and he always said he was not welcome back in Newcastle. His lad went to university there and had to keep it quiet about his dad.

For those who don't know, Mills disallowed 2 goals late on in an FA Cup Replay in 1983 against Brighton. One of the goals was by Keegan, which probably made it worse for the fans.
Great quote from the day - When we sat in the dressing room after the match I remember chatting to one of my linesmen, John Morley, when the police officer turns up. ‘You’d better hang on here a while, Trelford, there are 2,000 Geordies outside and they all want your autograph’.”

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t watch much English football but the ref yesterday was shocking. And I hate inactive offside with a passion anyway, exactly for the reasons shown in the Liverpool game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Micheal Oliver is the best of a bad bunch just about
Michael Oliver lives just outside the town where I live. He comes into town to watch matches at a particular pub which shows the games. I was in there a few weeks ago stood just a few yards away when a contentious issue happened. I looked at my son, looked at him, looked at others around, it was like a comedy head swivel, eyes darting all over. I could not have been the only one bursting to ask why that decision was made but I am pleased to say that nobody said anything. It is his escape, he is allowed his own time.

I don't agree with every decision he makes but I think he gets most right, his demeanor is excellent and I don't think he wants to be centre of the show.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It gets worse, just seen on Motd and all of the panel say Liverpool 2nd goal should have been ruled out by VAR. Guess what, VAR was used but they said
A proper game of 2 halves that yesterday, I thought Thursday nights game took its toll out of us although Palace were brilliant 2nd half.

Least said the better about the pen. I’m only glad it never decided the result, I couldn’t handle the conspiracy theorists?

Yep agreed you looked like a different team in the 2nd half, certainly less energy and not pressing as high. That said, we switched to a 442 and went direct to midfield and up front rather than always playing out and that made a big difference for us. I was sat in the front row of the AW stand which is not my normal spot, but sitting at pitch side you realise just how good these players and how fast the game is. Got to say, Robertson was out of this world. I'd under estimated how good he is. More than happy with our lot though and really excited to see the young lads develop over next few seasons (while we keep them away from the vultures).

D

Deleted member 15344

It gets worse, just seen on Motd and all of the panel say Liverpool 2nd goal should have been ruled out by VAR. Guess what, VAR was used but they said

Yep agreed you looked like a different team in the 2nd half, certainly less energy and not pressing as high. That said, we switched to a 442 and went direct to midfield and up front rather than always playing out and that made a big difference for us. I was sat in the front row of the AW stand which is not my normal spot, but sitting at pitch side you realise just how good these players and how fast the game is. Got to say, Robertson was out of this world. I'd under estimated how good he is. More than happy with our lot though and really excited to see the young lads develop over next few seasons (while we keep them away from the vultures).

The offside one is a mess - the old saying if you’re on the pitch then your interfering

Bobby went for the ball - missed it which it seems why it wasn’t offside ?‍♂️

And then with the Palace goal VVD gets attracted to the offside player which then means he loses the guy onside so is he interfering ?‍♂️

Such a grey area

In other news

Great to ser

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If VAR thinks the Jota incident is a penalty then the game is beyond help.

I was going to exclude Kevin Friend from criticism as he didn’t give the penalty initially but on second thoughts he’s as bad for not booking Jota for simulation at the time and not standing his ground on his initial (correct) decision.

D

Deleted member 16999

I was going to exclude Kevin Friend from criticism as he didn’t give the penalty initially but on second thoughts he’s as bad for not booking Jota for simulation at the time and not standing his ground on his initial (correct) decision.
I can only assume, like in the thread above, the issue is this “high bar” “low bar” direction they’ve given to Officials this season.

The only positive I can say about our standard of Refs, is, Refs on the continent are getting just as much stick by the fans in their Leagues.
So I do wonder if the issue is purely the amount of scrutiny the media and social media are putting them under and it’s dificult to tell if they are genuinely any better or worse than their predecessor’s.

D

Deleted member 15344

Jota booked for simulation? It may not have been a penalty but Jota didn’t dive surely

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Jota booked for simulation? It may not have been a penalty but Jota didn’t dive surely

He has clearly side-stepped to the right, away from the line of the ball, to initiate the contact with the Palace keeper, has fallen and has then thrown his arms out to claim the penalty. That’s simulation in my book.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't really look like a dive as such. He's tried to flick the ball, missed it so it's running out of play, then there's a coming together with the keeper. Just no penalty and a goal kick would have been fine. Harsh on the keeper because if Jota kicks the ball instead of fresh air he potentially makes the save. Jota has essentially been rewarded for missing it completely. :unsure: