The First Year of WHS - Positives and Negatives

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
There was no mention of that in the WHS briefing I attended just an emphasis on players getting to 20 scores in their record ASAP.

On a personal note I would not want to put in scores at every opportunity, I do not take my 'general play' that seriously and often treat them as rounds where I am trying/working things out.
100% agree, but that's not the message pushed by SG, you should be putting in a card whenever you tee it up (and are not solo).

In fairness to them (not a phrase I use often), that is the idea behind WHS, that by submitting every score you can, your handicap is more accurate. This is of course nonsense, a bounce game is nothing like a medal game, without a shadow of a doubt, if I started putting in every score I'd be in double digits rather than mid-single digits. It's nonsense. The opportunity to put in cards easily for those who can;t play many medal rounds is great, if they want to do it, but that should be it, this idea that there should be a compulsion is nonsense, and totally align to golf in Scotland.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
So what do you reckon this means?

2.1a(iii) Registering Intent to Submit a Score in General Play. A player is required to pre-register their intent to submit an acceptable score in general play for handicap purposes. Such pre-registration must be made: l Before the player starts the round,
You click a button an an App.

Swango1980

Visit site
You click a button an an App.
Is that much different from signing your name in a book? Especially if you name is really short, there would be little effort in both. In fact, arguably it is more effort by doing it on a phone, as you have to get your phone out, open the app, and then register and confirm the various round details. Also, pre-WHS, you could simply click a button on the PSI screen to do the same. And, if WHS hadn't come along, no doubt Apps would have been developed at some point anyway to submit general play rounds. WHS simply accelerated that due to the need to submit rounds before midnight.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't actually put a supplementary score in, I doubt I ever will. Just me in that boat?

When I play a social round at my home club, everyone is just happy to be not playing a medal. Better ball matchplay is everyone's preferred game, gimmies and ready golf, lots of piss taking, never have I shot a competitive score.
When I play with my mates (away from my home club) it can be stressful enough with everyone getting competitive, or getting frustrated by their own game. Imagine that amplified if we were all holding scorecards to be handed in!! It'd be thoroughly miserable.

If I did put supplementary home and away scores in, my handicap would increase from 3.8 to 8 or 9 I would say. I would clean up every single comp.

And that's exactly why no more than X supplementary cards should count towards your best 8. In fact, i'd almost say supplementary scores should not be a part of the system at all.
I haven't either. I've only entered comp rounds. Our friendly rounds are off the yellows, gimmes, dropping from out of bounds etc etc, just get round have a laugh and then have a pint really. I've not had any desire to make those rounds competitive by handing a card in. Although this has worked to my detriment slightly, as I haven't actually put many scores in at all, and if I'd have put a few of those in I'd probably be off 14 or 13 by now based on how I've been playing. But I still prefer to just enjoy the rounds and not worry about making two footers for the card.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Which surely could have been done in CONGU rules too? The switch to WHS has driven the creation and use of these apps but it could have happened under CONGU.
Except we already had the technology, but weren't using it. And again, there was a requirement to "inform" pre-round, that isn't actually the case now, but the App makes you register.

wjemather

Visit site
Except we already had the technology, but weren't using it. And again, there was a requirement to "inform" pre-round, that isn't actually the case now, but the App makes you register.
Not true. There is essentially no change in the requirement - just the terminology (and methods used) have changed.

Swango1980

Visit site
I haven't either. I've only entered comp rounds. Our friendly rounds are off the yellows, gimmes, dropping from out of bounds etc etc, just get round have a laugh and then have a pint really. I've not had any desire to make those rounds competitive by handing a card in. Although this has worked to my detriment slightly, as I haven't actually put many scores in at all, and if I'd have put a few of those in I'd probably be off 14 or 13 by now based on how I've been playing. But I still prefer to just enjoy the rounds and not worry about making two footers for the card.
Playing of yellows is a non-issue. Gimmes are, but let's be honest, if you are stressed out about having to make a putt that would have been a gimme, it shouldn't have been a gimme anyway. Fair enough, you cannot drop when it goes out of bounds. However, hopefully it happens rarely, and when it does you could just blob the hole for handicap purposes (or why not just hit provsionals if you think it could be OB)?

Ultimately, it is up to you whether you hand in a score or not. But, I can assure you, it does not have to feel "competitive" when you submit a score. I have got into the habit of submitting every round, and it has actually enhanced my experience in social golf. Previously, I'd just go out and play socially, and take it as it is. But, so many rounds just felt so meaningless, especially if I started having a bad day. Even good days all felt a little pointless. However, now that I submit each score, everything feels a lot more worthwhile. I get rewarded for a good round, but when I have a bad run at least I know it will all ultimately factor into my handicap record.

I can understand people not wanting to submit scores if they tend to work on aspects of their game during social golf. Fair enough, it is more practice than a scoring round of golf. I also felt I'd be a bit like that, because when my head used to go down, I just started messing about, "experimenting" on different shots. Whereas now I feel I've something to play for each time.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm confused. Some of the technology was there to pre-register and submit scores using the PSI screen on Club V1 (and maybe other ISVs). But, the technology has come on massively since WHS, albeit many many teething problems. Furthermore, there was no drive to educate clubs and players to submit supplementary scores, so few did.

The bit in bold, I do not know what you are saying? Pre and post WHS, a general play round has always had to be pre-registered. There is no change there. Is it that you simply do not like the methods of how pre-registration is done now compered to pre WHS, rather than the actual requirement of pre-registration?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me even marking a card is a bit of a pain if I'm playing social golf.
I never do it, nowadays I need glasses for near vision, happy to do it for medal rounds but not all the time.

wjemather

Visit site
Playing of yellows is a non-issue. Gimmes are, but let's be honest, if you are stressed out about having to make a putt that would have been a gimme, it shouldn't have been a gimme anyway. Fair enough, you cannot drop when it goes out of bounds. However, hopefully it happens rarely, and when it does you could just blob the hole for handicap purposes (or why not just hit provsionals if you think it could be OB)?
This is only partly true. RoH 2.1b (ii) states the following: "Where a player follows the provisions set down in a Model Local Rule, even when the Committee in charge of the course has not adopted that Model Local Rule, the score may still be acceptable for handicap purposes. The same situation applies where a player is in breach of a Model Local Rule that has been adopted by the Committee." As such, rounds where the alternative option to stroke-and-distance has been used may be acceptable for handicapping.

Swango1980

Visit site
This is only partly true. RoH 2.1b (ii) states the following: "Where a player follows the provisions set down in a Model Local Rule, even when the Committee in charge of the course has not adopted that Model Local Rule, the score may still be acceptable for handicap purposes. The same situation applies where a player is in breach of a Model Local Rule that has been adopted by the Committee." As such, rounds where the alternative option to stroke-and-distance has been used may be acceptable for handicapping.
Interesting. Because I was under the impression that, although clubs could adopt this local rule, if they did rounds would not be acceptable for handicapping? To be fair, I cannot remember where I got this impression, whether it be by reading about it at the time directly, or from conversations in golf monthly.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I'm confused. Some of the technology was there to pre-register and submit scores using the PSI screen on Club V1 (and maybe other ISVs). But, the technology has come on massively since WHS, albeit many many teething problems. Furthermore, there was no drive to educate clubs and players to submit supplementary scores, so few did.

The bit in bold, I do not know what you are saying? Pre and post WHS, a general play round has always had to be pre-registered. There is no change there. Is it that you simply do not like the methods of how pre-registration is done now compered to pre WHS, rather than the actual requirement of pre-registration?
The clue is in the name, and the old wording, they were meant to be supplementary if you weren't getting enough scores in. And if you were Cat 1, forget it.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
For me as a beginner, it's brilliant and has allowed me to get a handicap much sooner and get hooked on watching it progress than I think the previous system would. A few reasons for that:
- All of our comps are off whites and I'm not yet at the standard where I can play off whites at my course (long carries off the tee and tee box is my nemesis right now). By using the app/WHS I can play with friends off of yellows on not just my course but other courses and get a h'cap.
- Feels quite transparent to me compared to 'handing a card into the secretary and seeing what happens'
- Love being able to add friends from different clubs and see how we are all progressing

Granted I am a relatively newcomer so dont have experience of the old system, but if one of the aims of WHS was to make it easier for beginners and newcomers to obtain, track and keep a handicap, mission accomplished in my view

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
For me as a beginner, it's brilliant and has allowed me to get a handicap much sooner and get hooked on watching it progress than I think the previous system would. A few reasons for that:
- All of our comps are off whites and I'm not yet at the standard where I can play off whites at my course (long carries off the tee and tee box is my nemesis right now). By using the app/WHS I can play with friends off of yellows on not just my course but other courses and get a h'cap.
- Feels quite transparent to me compared to 'handing a card into the secretary and seeing what happens'
- Love being able to add friends from different clubs and see how we are all progressing

Granted I am a relatively newcomer so dont have experience of the old system, but if one of the aims of WHS was to make it easier for beginners and newcomers to obtain, track and keep a handicap, mission accomplished in my view
Neither of those are a function of WHS, the second one must be something to do with the EG App presumably? Not something you can do in the Scottish App.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only rejoined a club in late June and don't know anyone at the club, so I only managed 6 comp rounds and one casual round under the new system. But I did like how it worked, I think it's a truer reflection of where your golf will be if you play enough.

If I was at a club where I had a regular game each week I would definitely be putting in general play scores each week. That's what I like best about the new system, you don't need to wait for comps to be able to submit cards. Not everyone can play when the comps are on so why not allow people to do it when they can play.

I hope I can get some more rounds in next year and hopefully find a regular game so I can get extras in too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ultimately, it is up to you whether you hand in a score or not. But, I can assure you, it does not have to feel "competitive" when you submit a score. I have got into the habit of submitting every round, and it has actually enhanced my experience in social golf. Previously, I'd just go out and play socially, and take it as it is. But, so many rounds just felt so meaningless, especially if I started having a bad day. Even good days all felt a little pointless. However, now that I submit each score, everything feels a lot more worthwhile. I get rewarded for a good round, but when I have a bad run at least I know it will all ultimately factor into my handicap record.

I can understand people not wanting to submit scores if they tend to work on aspects of their game during social golf. Fair enough, it is more practice than a scoring round of golf. I also felt I'd be a bit like that, because when my head used to go down, I just started messing about, "experimenting" on different shots. Whereas now I feel I've something to play for each time.
I don't know, it's more of a mood thing, when we're playing for fun I can do without the pressure of having to hole a two foot putt or making sure I drop in the exact right place. We just get on with it and don't care. Hitting a provisional takes longer than just dropping it in bounds when you get there. Sometimes we'll even blob a hole just because we played it badly, even though we could have possibly made a point if we finished out, if you just want to forgot it and move onto the next hole. Plus, as you touch upon there, you'll go for more difficult shots to practise them whereas in competitive rounds you play more sensibly. Knowing you're putting a card in changes the whole mindset I feel, it's not just putting out here and there. I'm quite happy to keep that just for comps.

Swango1980

Visit site
The clue is in the name, and the old wording, they were meant to be supplementary if you weren't getting enough scores in. And if you were Cat 1, forget it.
You seem to making a completely separate argument now, unless I mistook you to begin with. I thought you WERE arguing about the pre-registration process. NOW, it seems you are arguing about the name change from supplementary scores to general play scores, and the fact low handicappers can also now submit these? Two completely different arguments.

In terms of the second argument, any player outside a Cat 1 handicap COULD submit as many supplementary cards as they wanted. Call them supplementary, call them general play, call them what you like, you could hand these scores in even if you played in 1-2 qualifying competitions every week.

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't know, it's more of a mood thing, when we're playing for fun I can do without the pressure of having to hole a two foot putt or making sure I drop in the exact right place. We just get on with it and don't care. Hitting a provisional takes longer than just dropping it in bounds when you get there. Sometimes we'll even blob a hole just because we played it badly, even though we could have possibly made a point if we finished out, if you just want to forgot it and move onto the next hole. Plus, as you touch upon there, you'll go for more difficult shots to practise them whereas in competitive rounds you play more sensibly. Knowing you're putting a card in changes the whole mindset I feel, it's not just putting out here and there. I'm quite happy to keep that just for comps.
If I played with you and read this, I'd never give you a putt of this length again :) . I'd make you play every one, and remind you before you hit it that you miss these, the pressure is on (in a friendly piss taking way that mates do when playing golf)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I played with you and read this, I'd never give you a putt of this length again :) . I'd make you play every one, and remind you before you hit it that you miss these, the pressure is on (in a friendly piss taking way that mates do when playing golf)
Honestly we don't even wait to be given them sometimes we just pick them up. As I think I'm conveying, we don't take it that seriously that anyone cares. One of my mates will just give himself a six footer if he's pissed off - I don't really care it's his score at the end of the day that doesn't count for anything. We pretty much decide ourselves if we want to practise the putt or take it as a gimme.