The deal breaker(s) when joining a new club?

Bobthesock

Visit site
No winter greens and no fairway mats. My old course used fairway mats for 5 months of the year and we're keen to go in winter greens as as often as they could

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Not one to judge but that sounds boring as heck. I suppose at least you have plenty to talk about in the bar
And there speaketh the cliched extrovert. You understand many people are intorverts, some people don;t like the same things as you? Some people find the prospect of mixing with new people, or crowds horrendous. People are different. Society has been programmed that those of us who don't like those things are the weird ones, because extroverts dominate conversations, but in reality, we think they're weird :LOL:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And there speaketh the cliched extrovert. You understand many people are intorverts, some people don;t like the same things as you? Some people find the prospect of mixing with new people, or crowds horrendous. People are different. Society has been programmed that those of us who don't like those things are the weird ones, because extroverts dominate conversations, but in reality, we think they're weird :LOL:

The biggest statement of hypocrisy I’ve read on this forum in 10 years of being a member.

I’m not saying being an introvert is wrong/weird/strange and I can get why the posted likes time with his lad, but surely being stuck on your own for 2.5-3.5hours would be quite difficult. Not doubt other things go on in most peoples lives and with no additional company, surely the brain goes into overdrive on these such as work, family life, odd jobs HID is moaning about that you still haven’t done… the list is endless.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What I would look for (in an affordable club)

1) interesting and varied course
2) within easy reach of home (<20 mins drive unless course and club are exceptional)
3) decent playing condition for much if not most of the year
and a 4th
4) it being easy for me to get a tee time pretty much any day to play on my own…I need it easy to be able to be a solitary guy on the course - switching off and chilling out from the whirl of life is very important for me (accepting not always likely to be possible the most obvious popular times). I like to think of myself as a pretty sociable guy, but the golf course is my escape, my place to be with myself alone to reflect or clear my mind.

What turns me off

1) Snobbery, pretention and too many cliques/fixed groups (why I did not bother progressing my enquiry to one club in my area when I was looking to join a club)
2) The opposites of what I would look for in a club

Last edited:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Mostly with the same mate. My lad in the summer, and quite often in my own.

I don’t play golf to meet people or make new friends.

That's fair enough. The reason I asked is I hate playing on my own and my boy is just too young to take out all the time. It sounded like you were on your own but at least you have a mate.

I find it tough integrating myself into clubs that don't have roll ups or sweeps etc.

I like mixing it up a bit so I guess my deal breaker would be a roll up or sweep.

Thankfully current club does have a sweep.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Not one to judge but that sounds boring as heck. I suppose at least you have plenty to talk about in the bar

Maybe. But I play golf on my own to get a bit of peace and quiet.

I play every weekend with the same mate. Often we are the last people on the course so the bar is closed when we finish.

I have no problem speaking to new or meeting new people. I just don’t need to be forced into it by a golf club.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The biggest statement of hypocrisy I’ve read on this forum in 10 years of being a member. [1]

I’m not saying being an introvert is wrong/weird/strange [2] and I can get why the posted likes time with his lad, but surely being stuck on your own for 2.5-3.5hours would be quite difficult [3]. Not doubt other things go on in most peoples lives and with no additional company, surely the brain goes into overdrive [4] on these such as work, family life, odd jobs HID is moaning about that you still haven’t done… the list is endless.
[1] Howso? I'm stating the opposite of what you said, that's not hypocrisy
[2] You did
[3] It isn't, it's great
[4] Yes, and? That's why being alone is just dandy

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m not saying being an introvert is wrong/weird/strange and I can get why the posted likes time with his lad, but surely being stuck on your own for 2.5-3.5hours would be quite difficult. Not doubt other things go on in most peoples lives and with no additional company, surely the brain goes into overdrive on these such as work, family life, odd jobs HID is moaning about that you still haven’t done… the list is endless.
I like playing golf with other people, but I also love playing on my own.
A friendly inclusive membership is a real plus, but so is a course where you can get a quiet time and just hit a ball around on your own.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The biggest statement of hypocrisy I’ve read on this forum in 10 years of being a member.

I spend all day at work dealing with problem people and problem projects.

I’ve two teenage kids that lead busy sporting and social lives who need ferrying all over the place most days of the week.

I coach my son’s and another football team and am chairman of the club. This is almost a full time job at the moment.

I play 5 aside twice a week. And sometimes even have to spend time with the wife.

Being on my own on the golf course for 3 hours is absolute bliss. I can switch off from everything else.

Red devil

Visit site
I'm a sociable type of guy and get on well with people but I like playing golf on my own.
I work all week around people,lots of them,and for me being alone on a golf course just me and nature and the fresh air is simply wonderful. I always feel better even if I've played poorly.
Returning to the original question my criteria would be
1, quality of course
2, tee time availability
3, and no snobby attitudes from jobsworths.
Though where I live nigh on if not impossible to get into a decent course so none of the above will matter

Albo

Visit site
I'll ask the question as well, why no comps?
In all honesty I have no interest in them and seldom are they at times when I can commit to them.
no interest as I play golf to get away from the pressure of life, I have no interest winning shop credit, rounds tend to be stupidly slow during comps, I don’t want to play with strangers for a few hours I’d much rather put my earbuds in and listen to music or an audio book than pass chit chat with someone I have no interest in.
As for when comps are played, usually at my course on a Weds which after work I have to take kids to football training and a Sat morning I take kids to school football matches. The course tends to be quiet onSat and Sun afternoon and most evenings (other than weds) after work. I can play happily for 2 hours and get round 18 and still commit time to my family. Playing comp rounds tends to be at least double that.
On a personal level I get nothing from entering comps, I entered 1 this year, not sure where I came but shot 1 under handicap. I got no sense of achievement, I spent the best part of 4 hours with a guy, and as nice as he was, my life was no better for the experience.
Each to their own in my opinion, many people play comps so they must get something out of it.
Can I turn the question on it’s head and ask “Why do you play comps?”

D

Deleted member 23270

In all honesty I have no interest in them and seldom are they at times when I can commit to them.
no interest as I play golf to get away from the pressure of life, I have no interest winning shop credit, rounds tend to be stupidly slow during comps, I don’t want to play with strangers for a few hours I’d much rather put my earbuds in and listen to music or an audio book than pass chit chat with someone I have no interest in.
As for when comps are played, usually at my course on a Weds which after work I have to take kids to football training and a Sat morning I take kids to school football matches. The course tends to be quiet onSat and Sun afternoon and most evenings (other than weds) after work. I can play happily for 2 hours and get round 18 and still commit time to my family. Playing comp rounds tends to be at least double that.
On a personal level I get nothing from entering comps, I entered 1 this year, not sure where I came but shot 1 under handicap. I got no sense of achievement, I spent the best part of 4 hours with a guy, and as nice as he was, my life was no better for the experience.
Each to their own in my opinion, many people play comps so they must get something out of it.
Can I turn the question on it’s head and ask “Why do you play comps?”
See you at the next forum meet ??

Albo

Visit site
Maybe. But I play golf on my own to get a bit of peace and quiet.

I play every weekend with the same mate. Often we are the last people on the course so the bar is closed when we finish.

I have no problem speaking to new or meeting new people. I just don’t need to be forced into it by a golf club.
I totally and utterly get this and am exactly the same.
I play with some friends but I’d say 70% of my rounds are solo. And I love every single minute of them. It allows me to switch off from all the stuff happening and just play golf. I do so come rain or shine.
I don’t dislike meeting new people but have no interest in it at all. I find forced conversation for 3+ hours a lot more tiresome than listening to music for the same period.
I’ve played with members a few times, I can’t say I’ve ever come away thinking they were bad people or didn’t like them, but neither have I ever come away thinking I’d want to play with them again

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I love playing on my own and fully get how people find it a pleasure getting out on their own and enjoying solitude. I do think it's a bit of a shame though to not enjoy the fellowship of fellow golfers as well. There is the odd bore but by and large I don't find conversation forced and awkward .
Whatever, we all enjoy golf our own way and long may that continue.