Considering joining a club...

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi People,

So I am considering for the first time joining a club. It is a busy semi private course near where I live here in AZ. The course is owned and managed privately. It so happens I play most of my golf there. My golf instructor works there so I have got to know many of the Staff and the General Manager.

Condition wise it is satisfactory. They keep making improvements and although it is in no way glamorous, they do have an excellent driving range and three short game areas.

They also have a good men's club with events most Saturday's. Some fun, some serious!

To to be a member you have to pay $4300 per year to play any of the three courses they own. Plus cart fee each time you play. I explained to the GM I just can't afford that.

However he he said he is prepared to make an exception and for $150 a month I can be a full member at one of the courses of my choosing, cart included, and participate fully in competitions and so on.

However my my main reasons for wanting to join are to get an official handicap and experience of playing competitive golf. With my new work schedule, Finishing at 2pm, I can also fit in more 9 hole rounds.

I hope also to make some friends there and the pro shop staff have said when I first join they will make sure I get to meet and play with other members.

Never joined a club before, so constructive ideas of how to fit in would be handy, too!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi People,

So I am considering for the first time joining a club. It is a busy semi private course near where I live here in AZ. The course is owned and managed privately. It so happens I play most of my golf there. My golf instructor works there so I have got to know many of the Staff and the General Manager.

Condition wise it is satisfactory. They keep making improvements and although it is in no way glamorous, they do have an excellent driving range and three short game areas.

They also have a good men's club with events most Saturday's. Some fun, some serious!

To to be a member you have to pay $4300 per year to play any of the three courses they own. Plus cart fee each time you play. I explained to the GM I just can't afford that.

However he he said he is prepared to make an exception and for $150 a month I can be a full member at one of the courses of my choosing, cart included, and participate fully in competitions and so on.

However my my main reasons for wanting to join are to get an official handicap and experience of playing competitive golf. With my new work schedule, Finishing at 2pm, I can also fit in more 9 hole rounds.

I hope also to make some friends there and the pro shop staff have said when I first join they will make sure I get to meet and play with other members.

Never joined a club before, so constructive ideas of how to fit in would be handy, too!

If all you want out of it is the official USGA handicap you don't need to join a physical club. Most public courses in the US will maintain your handicap for 30 dollars.

Very different from the UK scene where our memberships are far cheaper but its almost necessary to be a member of somewhere. Mind 1650 pA incl carts is a very good price for the numbers I hear from American friends.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Hoselfade:

Also from what I see the used club market is a lot cheaper in the USA as well. The chance to play in actual events is the deal maker for me. But with the cart thrown in (essential really when it is 110f out there!) I think mKes it a very good deal in one of the golfing Meccas in the USA.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do they have an induction program? Maybe a 'buddy' system whereby existing members introduce you around ? If not, speak to them pro or manager and I'm sure there will be social competitions (roll ups / swindles) as we call them over here that you could play in to get to know people. Don't shy away, enjoy your membership and get playing :)