The deal breaker(s) when joining a new club?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
1. Location
2. Location...
3. Being able to rock up most afternoons and just wander on.
4. Layout that faciitates playing < 18 holes. Preferable a nice variety of 6, 9, 12, 15 etc. Also handy for nipping past 4 balls.
5. Decent enough course, away from traffic noise, nice members, decent pro. good bar, nice showers.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
1. The course; a decent, challenging set-up that drains well, is open on main greens all year and is in good nick, with good options for 6, 9, 12 or 15holes for summer evenings.

2. A decent clubhouse, with a good choice of refreshments, friendly staff & members and a choice of social events.

3. Location; preferably within 10 minutes but will compromise a bit if the club is a bit special.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One that has buggy bans all winter regardless of the conditions.
One that insists upon 2 ball golf only
One that does not allow swindles/ roll ups

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
1. condition of course, doesn't need to be Augusta or anything, but simple stuff like mowing and repairing the tee boxes etc
2. price, especially joining fee. Where if it were a really good course but annual subs are high I may part with my cash, if I have to put several thousand up front then no chance
3. practice facilities, how good they are and how expensive a range is
4. how long the rounds are, 5 hour rounds as normal can sod right off

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1. Location
2. Location...
3. Being able to rock up most afternoons and just wander on.
4. Layout that faciitates playing < 18 holes. Preferable a nice variety of 6, 9, 12, 15 etc. Also handy for nipping past 4 balls.
5. Decent enough course, away from traffic noise, nice members, decent pro. good bar, nice showers.

Love point 4 and actually really like this post although it’s just screwed me over!

1) 0.5m to the gate, 1m to club house door.
2) 1.2m to the range
3) check.
4) 3 loops of 9. loop 1 you could play as 4, 7 or 9. Loop 2 6 or 9, loop 3 6 or 9
5) great club house, good members, great food, good halfway hut and a well stocked pro shop.

Looks like a may be rejoining my old club

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Tee booking for all rounds & proper spacing between groups (none of this ‘go when they’re out of range’ nonsense)
Good drainage & well maintained
Decent practice facilities

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
The course must be a good test, interesting layout and in good condition.

Good practice facilities.

Normal greens all year.

I can play from whichever tees I want outside of comps.

No stupid dress code rules.

Online booking with availability at times to suit when I play.

I’ve no interest in meeting other members or “being integrated” into the club.

I’m not fussed about comps or how they are run. I’ll play in them if the timing suits or the format is of interest.

Just out of curiosity who do you play with if you're not interested in meeting other members. Do you have mates who are members as well?