the case for the low handicap advantage...

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is there any other sport in the world where people greet when the best players/teams win?

The handicap system in golf is great, but in my opinion it works best when broken down into divisions.

I don't think a 26 handicapper shotting 20 over should ever beat a Scratch golfer shooting -5.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Complaining about high handicappers winning is as pointless as complaining about the weather. It's inevitable given the structure of the handicapping system. If you don't like it, play in scratch competitions - then the best golfer always wins.

In any case, as other people have said, the low handicappers win more often anyway. I've just looked back through the 26 competitions at my club since Mar2014 (14x stab & 12x medal); I've found that 9% of our membership is Cat1 or Cat2 but they win 46% of the competitions. 49% of the membership is Cat4 and they've won 4% of the competitions.

D

Deleted member 16999

Is there any other sport in the world where people greet when the best players/teams win?

The handicap system in golf is great, but in my opinion it works best when broken down into divisions.

I don't think a 26 handicapper shotting 20 over should ever beat a Scratch golfer shooting -5.
+1,