The all things EV chat thread

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
that you get from keeping a car for a decade or more.

That would be a novelty for me to some extent. Last time I got that close I realised I had lost so much capital to put towards another car that I never did it again.
For me the way to go was to buy one year old or pregistered, the latter being what I did this time.

A couple of good deals in the last 20 years have been ex fleet at around 50% of the new price. They are usually above average mileage but by the time I sell them they are lower than average mileage.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What makes you think I haven't looked into leasing?

When you lease, you pay for the early years depreciation over and over, never enjoying the years of use with minimal depreciation that you get from keeping a car for a decade or more.

I don't buy new cars. Let some other sucker absorb the initial hit.

If you lease on a hot deal for that first bit and then get the offer to get the price £7k lower overall than list price you have saved 7k on a car plus the hot deal part

That's what's happened to a few people I know with purchasing at the end of lease deals

I could have saved a fortune on the Corsa but it was a hunk of junk which I was glad to see the back of

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
That would be a novelty for me to some extent. Last time I got that close I realised I had lost so much capital to put towards another car that I never did it again.
For me the way to go was to buy one year old or pregistered, the latter being what I did this time.

A couple of good deals in the last 20 years have been ex fleet at around 50% of the new price. They are usually above average mileage but by the time I sell them they are lower than average mileage.
I agree that the the way to go is to buy a car that's a couple of years old. But I don't see any reason to replace it with another after a few years.
My experience is that cars these days remain very reliable for at least 10 years. My wife recently replaced her car - which was 12 years old - even though it was still going strong and sailed through its MOT. I personally couldn't understand why we didn't keep it longer, but she seemed itching for a change. Rather than trade it in (for about £3k), we gave it to our daughter.

Your comment about losing capital for the next car doesn't make sense to me. If you change your car more frequently, you end up spending more in the long run.
You can always put aside some money every year you don't change your car so you have the necessary funds when the time comes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can always put aside some money every year you don't change your car so you have the necessary funds when the time comes.
On a personal level putting money aside hits me in other ways.

Mind you with all the increases in second hand values when I sold the last one I almost got back what I paid for after running it for 3 years.

When it comes to S/H values generally there are two big losses, one as you have said when you take a brand new car out of the showroom and the other noticeable time, in my experience, is once the car is about 5 years old.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well last week's trip acted as a nice beta test for almost the same trip next month.

Over the weekend firmed up plans between my wife and my mate to decide what we doing for that bank holiday.

2 nights in hotel was always plan so charging no rush.

Plan a is to leave Havering 100% Saturday. Stop at fleet services (85 miles) , they have chargers there so plan a is top up as high as can when we are there.

It's 80 miles further

If we manage to charge at fleet that will do us all weekend until either Sunday night or Monday morning to be prepared for the drive home.

Last time I got home using 63% so rather than 78% I'm going to aim to have it at 90% , but then we will stop on way home so no drama.

Fast charger walking distance from hotel so can leave and go move it when done. Or a rank of chargers just down road.

Plan b (if can't charge at fleet) top up Saturday night and then Monday morning

Plan c plug the 3 pin at my mates whilst we there for the day Saturday

Sounds a lot of planning but it's taken longer to type (which took me 2 mins) than it did to plan charges using zapmap

On a side note I'm very impressed with octopuses "electroverse" now not all chargers are paired with it. But for example a big player in the charge networks are instavolt . All their chargers are. The random charger I used in the new forest was. I am able to sign into charging using this app, IE plug in then press start via that one app. Rather than seperate accounts , 5% discount aswell

Can use tap tap for cards aswell

One thing I will say is there is no way to pay cash on any charger. Not that I use that anyways.

Very much looking forward to the trip, especially as her daughter (same age as my twins) asked me Wednesday night "Paul when you come down next month will you bring your girls to play with my toys with me" .. of course I will "oh yay I like playing with my friends" bless her.

The main thing is I have plans A B C to see me through the trip

Sure it's not as easy as going to a petrol station but I don't find it a faff

Should note that the car (and most others) have chargers built into the sat nav. So press the battery button and it says X charger is 1.5 miles away and if you press it then the nav will direct you

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well last week's trip acted as a nice beta test for almost the same trip next month.

Over the weekend firmed up plans between my wife and my mate to decide what we doing for that bank holiday.

2 nights in hotel was always plan so charging no rush.

Plan a is to leave Havering 100% Saturday. Stop at fleet services (85 miles) , they have chargers there so plan a is top up as high as can when we are there.

It's 80 miles further

If we manage to charge at fleet that will do us all weekend until either Sunday night or Monday morning to be prepared for the drive home.

Last time I got home using 63% so rather than 78% I'm going to aim to have it at 90% , but then we will stop on way home so no drama.

Fast charger walking distance from hotel so can leave and go move it when done. Or a rank of chargers just down road.

Plan b (if can't charge at fleet) top up Saturday night and then Monday morning

Plan c plug the 3 pin at my mates whilst we there for the day Saturday

Sounds a lot of planning but it's taken longer to type (which took me 2 mins) than it did to plan charges using zapmap

On a side note I'm very impressed with octopuses "electroverse" now not all chargers are paired with it. But for example a big player in the charge networks are instavolt . All their chargers are. The random charger I used in the new forest was. I am able to sign into charging using this app, IE plug in then press start via that one app. Rather than seperate accounts , 5% discount aswell

Can use tap tap for cards aswell

One thing I will say is there is no way to pay cash on any charger. Not that I use that anyways.

Very much looking forward to the trip, especially as her daughter (same age as my twins) asked me Wednesday night "Paul when you come down next month will you bring your girls to play with my toys with me" .. of course I will "oh yay I like playing with my friends" bless her.

The main thing is I have plans A B C to see me through the trip

Sure it's not as easy as going to a petrol station but I don't find it a faff

Should note that the car (and most others) have chargers built into the sat nav. So press the battery button and it says X charger is 1.5 miles away and if you press it then the nav will direct you
Do you ever do anything spontaneously and on a whim? All this planning you seem to do must suck all the fun out of life! Just let go and live a little! :ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you ever do anything spontaneously and on a whim? All this planning you seem to do must suck all the fun out of life! Just let go and live a little! :ROFLMAO:

Well the trip down from Southampton was very much on a whim, chanced my arm

Plus with kids nothing is truly on a whim

Can't exactly go right im off to Scotland today . Got to pick them up at 3

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember those days.

About the only thing that changed that was looking at the weather forecast and deciding if it was South coast or Bristol Channel coast for the day out.

Exactly, this week has been looking at the app and it's like please please be dry they want to go the park , otherwise it's soft play and another £50 down the drain

Last week was very on a whim as much as it can be with kids

I asked the wife what time she needed me home "no rush" oh in that case can I extend my trip down to bath and come home for midnight? "No worries"

That's as near a whim as I'll get until they are in secondary school

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Well the trip down from Southampton was very much on a whim, chanced my arm

Plus with kids nothing is truly on a whim

Can't exactly go right im off to Scotland today . Got to pick them up at 3

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Definitely cant do that if you didnt charge the car the night before ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Exactly, this week has been looking at the app and it's like please please be dry they want to go the park , otherwise it's soft play and another £50 down the drain

Last week was very on a whim as much as it can be with kids

I asked the wife what time she needed me home "no rush" oh in that case can I extend my trip down to bath and come home for midnight? "No worries"

That's as near a whim as I'll get until they are in secondary school

We did things on a whim with the kids. Last minute day trips with the kids that saw us buying toothpaste etc for an overnighter - Edinburgh, The Lakes, York and a number of others. Occasionally a trip with a few nights would be booked in advance but it would turn out to be more nights.

Kids don’t have to be tying.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We did things on a whim with the kids. Last minute day trips with the kids that saw us buying toothpaste etc for an overnighter - Edinburgh, The Lakes, York and a number of others. Occasionally a trip with a few nights would be booked in advance but it would turn out to be more nights.

Kids don’t have to be tying.

Maybe when their older. The twins have made life very regimented to keep on top of things.

Going from 1-2 kids isnt double the work

Going from 1 kid to 3 is like trying to herd wild animals 😂

Saying that weekends are a challenge in themselves, getting 3 to swimming every Sunday is interesting

The wife refuses to go away to a hen do , took a lot of work to get her to go out for this weekend .. she doesn't like working all week then rushing to get ready for the week Monday morning if she goes away.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Maybe when their older. The twins have made life very regimented to keep on top of things.

Going from 1-2 kids isnt double the work

Going from 1 kid to 3 is like trying to herd wild animals 😂

Saying that weekends are a challenge in themselves, getting 3 to swimming every Sunday is interesting

The wife refuses to go away to a hen do , took a lot of work to get her to go out for this weekend .. she doesn't like working all week then rushing to get ready for the week Monday morning if she goes away.

Mmm, try doing it with 6!. 3 boys & 3 girls.