The all things EV chat thread

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Tesla are a great car. Especially if you need to travel long distance because they put the effort in for the charge network

However the build quality isnt the best , and they also made them ridiculously fast so insurance likes to be higher
You can say that again:

I can't help feeling that Tesla have a similar attitude to the likes of Apple: "our products are the best and nobody should dare criticise them"

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can say that again:

I can't help feeling that Tesla have a similar attitude to the likes of Apple: "our products are the best and nobody should dare criticise them"

I think Tesla's issue is they have built a car company from scratch whilst reinventing the wheel.

Nissan with the leaf built an entire EV from the ground up but have a background in cars

Tesla have built a car brand, in EVs, built a charging network all from scratch

I make you right about the apple comparison

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a look at the Fisker in the shopping centre. I like it, but I am not in the market for a car at that price.

What I like now is prices are starting to at least look semi sensible. The mg range is fantastic value. Give it a few more years and the second hand market will be even better. I mean when I pick up my next one I'm looking 2-3 years old so will have 4-5 years warranty left from Kia

Imagine buying a 5 year old mg and having a 2 year warranty , you can get 2 year old ones now mg5 for 16k

Once it hits 5 years old get that sub 10k for a car that does 250 miles to a charge

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What I like now is prices are starting to at least look semi sensible. The mg range is fantastic value. Give it a few more years and the second hand market will be even better. I mean when I pick up my next one I'm looking 2-3 years old so will have 4-5 years warranty left from Kia

Imagine buying a 5 year old mg and having a 2 year warranty , you can get 2 year old ones now mg5 for 16k

Once it hits 5 years old get that sub 10k for a car that does 250 miles to a charge

Had a ride in a MG Uber a couple of weeks back. Very smooth, very quiet. Big sumptuous seats. Two very big cases went into the boot with plenty of space spare. Only downside was the parcel shelf looked very flimsy.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Did you see that the current MG5 saloon scored zero stars in Australian crash tests?
Could well be that whatever is sold as MG5 in Oz is a different car, but it doesn't sound that reassuring.

My daughter has a MG ZS EV and I am not impressed with the design and build quality.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Tesla don’t hold value.. one primary reason is that Tesla new is cheaper than second hand…. It is a phone market type approach

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that the MG ICE cars or the MG EVs?
The article didn't say if it was ICE or EV.
But since the crash test failures were to do with basic structural shortcomings, not sure if that's relevant.
Of course the MG5 in the UK is an estate, so it's obviously not the exact same car. But it still rings alarm bells about MGs in general.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there an ICE option on the MG5?

Yes that model is the sedan and is an ice car as opposed to the mg5 EV that's available in the UK
Did you see that the current MG5 saloon scored zero stars in Australian crash tests?
Could well be that whatever is sold as MG5 in Oz is a different car, but it doesn't sound that reassuring.

My daughter has a MG ZS EV and I am not impressed with the design and build quality.

Yes it's a completely different car, one of the odd ones where in the UK an mg5 is x and elsewhere it's y. Lazy from the naming department

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a ride in a MG Uber a couple of weeks back. Very smooth, very quiet. Big sumptuous seats. Two very big cases went into the boot with plenty of space spare. Only downside was the parcel shelf looked very flimsy.
On my MG5 the parcel shelf is just a retractable cover to hide whatever you put in the boot.
I've had the car for about 18 months now and had no problems - very fast, very smooth and plenty of space.
The boot isn't massive for an estate car but I can get the clubs and trolley in and still hide them with the parcel shelf.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
No need to worry, Euro NCAP gives it 5 stars
That's comforting from a safety pov.

What's not comforting is the stupidly bad design of the charge port cover. A bit of flimsy plastic which snaps off if you sneeze on it. And then the MG dealer quotes £600 to replace it 😱😠

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On my MG5 the parcel shelf is just a retractable cover to hide whatever you put in the boot.
I've had the car for about 18 months now and had no problems - very fast, very smooth and plenty of space.
The boot isn't massive for an estate car but I can get the clubs and trolley in and still hide them with the parcel shelf.

They look brilliant, is it the new facelift model or the previous?

I am very tempted with one , infact they seem very good as a second car when the kids get out of car seats

I was looking at one for next year but just felt like the Kia was slightly more refined

But isn't that the same as people now picking say a BMW over a ford. Both do the same thing and perform excellent.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
They look brilliant, is it the new facelift model or the previous?

I am very tempted with one , infact they seem very good as a second car when the kids get out of car seats

I was looking at one for next year but just felt like the Kia was slightly more refined

But isn't that the same as people now picking say a BMW over a ford. Both do the same thing and perform excellent.
I've got the pre-facelift version. The only thing the face-lift has that I'd want is the phone app for warming up the car while you enjoy a cup of tea, and for monitoring the charging etc. On the downside, the face-lift has put some of the climate controls on the touchscreen rather than have easy to use buttons.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got the pre-facelift version. The only thing the face-lift has that I'd want is the phone app for warming up the car while you enjoy a cup of tea, and for monitoring the charging etc. On the downside, the face-lift has put some of the climate controls on the touchscreen rather than have easy to use buttons.

Yes the behind the touch screen is a very annoying thing we seem to have to want to like as all car makers are insisting on moving over to it.

That mg5 pre facelift is a proper work horse. See them all over London as private hires but also there is this company that uses them as their work vans for servicing EVs all over the UK . Pretty good idea. Think I saw they bought a 2 year old one for 16k and they have done 100k miles in one with no battery degrading

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That's comforting from a safety pov.

What's not comforting is the stupidly bad design of the charge port cover. A bit of flimsy plastic which snaps off if you sneeze on it. And then the MG dealer quotes £600 to replace it 😱😠
They saw you coming...