The all things EV chat thread

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Took out the Lotus Eletre last week with another forum member. As nice as it was, which it should be for £105k, I just would miss the engine note.

Driving any sort of performance car for me is about the experience, and this just didn’t have it.
View attachment 50768View attachment 50769
I saw one of these in Guildford High Street yesterday. Looks very nice. Gave the impression it should have a nice V8 sound rather than a starship whine!

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not really a recall - they're pushing out a software update over the air. I think the US authorities are calling it a recall.

Wish all cars could be updated remotely like that, PSA are awful with theirs.. not only do you have to go into the main stealer but rather than enabling their techs to download the software to a pc then upload to the cars when needed they have to directly download from the main server in France to the car... Any issues with connection and it's start again

Oh and the PSA servers are awful

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wish all cars could be updated remotely like that, PSA are awful with theirs.. not only do you have to go into the main stealer but rather than enabling their techs to download the software to a pc then upload to the cars when needed they have to directly download from the main server in France to the car... Any issues with connection and it's start again

Oh and the PSA servers are awful
Is that wide open to hackers in the future ?

Just imagine nothing Is foolproof.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not really a recall - they're pushing out a software update over the air. I think the US authorities are calling it a recall.

It is a recall. Thats literally the name and defined process used by the NHTSA to govern all highway safety and alert all who are affected. How an issue might be fixed is not what defines a recall.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is a recall. Thats literally the name and defined process used by the NHTSA to govern all highway safety and alert all who are affected. How an issue might be fixed is not what defines a recall.
It is a recall, but to be fair it can be resolved overnight by the push of a button. They don't gave to arrange 2m appointments at garages, unlike a standard recall.

A recall sounds like it should be a physical movement of the car. In this case the car doesn't need to move from its driveway. It sounds odd but obviously it fits the definition.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most cars get recalled or updated so it's not really an issue..
My concern is that the problem is with the Autopilot system...surely one part of the workings that should be bulletproof.?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most cars get recalled or updated so it's not really an issue..
My concern is that the problem is with the Autopilot system...surely one part of the workings that should be bulletproof.?

Whilst I agree. How do you know it's bullet proof until field testing? Need plenty of data for faults to be found

It is a recall, but to be fair it can be resolved overnight by the push of a button. They don't gave to arrange 2m appointments at garages, unlike a standard recall.

A recall sounds like it should be a physical movement of the car. In this case the car doesn't need to move from its driveway. It sounds odd but obviously it fits the definition.

Mine had a software recall this year. They found an issue that if the compressor on the air con failed the car wouldn't start. So now it's programed to if the compressor fails the air con just shuts off rather than the car

Took 30 mins when I had a service done at the same time

I prefer Teslas way though.. send the updates out

They can also disable things remotely IE turn off auto pilot until it's updated

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have heard many stories over the years of ICE car manufacturers who know one of their cars has a potential problem but refuse to admit it or fix it under guarantee. At least Tesla have identified a problem and are getting it sorted.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You test..and test...and test
Off public roads but in a similar environment until you're 100000000% sure..
Anything else is madness.

I don't think that's even possible

Quick add in the article the fault is at the human .. it's people miss using the system

Just like when cruise control came in and someone thought they could go back of their motorhome and make a cuppa whilst it drove

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I agree. How do you know it's bullet proof until field testing? Need plenty of data for faults to be found

Mine had a software recall this year. They found an issue that if the compressor on the air con failed the car wouldn't start. So now it's programed to if the compressor fails the air con just shuts off rather than the car

Took 30 mins when I had a service done at the same time

I prefer Teslas way though.. send the updates out

They can also disable things remotely IE turn off auto pilot until it's updated

Can this be done while the vehicle is in motion? I'm thinking of a situation where someone is happily driving along with auto pilot engaged and Tesla find an issue with auto pilot so turn it off. I assume that the driver would get some kind of notification that it has been disabled but would still be quite a surprise for someone not expecting it, and could cause a big issue depending on exactly what the car/driver was doing at that time and what the road conditions were.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can this be done while the vehicle is in motion? I'm thinking of a situation where someone is happily driving along with auto pilot engaged and Tesla find an issue with auto pilot so turn it off. I assume that the driver would get some kind of notification that it has been disabled but would still be quite a surprise for someone not expecting it, and could cause a big issue depending on exactly what the car/driver was doing at that time and what the road conditions were.

I can't think of a situation where it would be unsafe to disable autopilot remotely..

Whenever it turns off it something along the lines of autopilot disabled take control and beeps at the driver

It is supposed to monitor the drivers attention and turn off if the driver isn't watching the road (UK it does anyways)

If it turns off it doesn't slam the brakes it's just like putting a car in neutral .. you just put your foot back down

Driver is still responsible regardless

"The most important thing to remember about Autopilot is that it does not turn your Tesla into a self-driving car. Even if it seems that way, Autopilot is still classified as a Level 2 autonomous driving system, and many of its features are still in beta. A fully autonomous car, that has no option for driver input, is classified as a Level 5 system. So far such cars are not available to purchase."

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It’s irrelevant what it sounds like. Recall is a legal process defined by government and car manufacturers since the 1970 highway safety act in the USA.

An issue leading to recall may be minor but the process itself is significant. All cars have recalls. It’s entirely normal. There are hundreds each year. But there is no way to dismiss the significance of the definition in statute.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s irrelevant what it sounds like. Recall is a legal process defined by government and car manufacturers since the 1970 highway safety act in the USA.

An issue leading to recall may be minor but the process itself is significant. All cars have recalls. It’s entirely normal. There are hundreds each year. But there is no way to dismiss the significance of the definition in statute.

It's only big news because it's telsa

Much less was made of a massive BMW safety issue that has led to the police no longer using bmw cars

Same with the Luton airport fire "it's an EV" was within minutes. When it became clear it wasn't a lot of people lost interest

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's only big news because it's telsa

Yes, you’re right, the Tesla fanboys are attempting to downplay its significance. 😉

Self driving cars are in the spotlight and any issue involving the largest behavioural shift in the history of motorised transport is going to get amplified.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, you’re right, the Tesla fanboys are attempting to downplay its significance. 😉

Self driving cars are in the spotlight and any issue involving the largest behavioural shift in the history of motorised transport is going to get amplified.

Touche 🤣

Altho not saying it's not significant, at least it can be fixed remotely.

Just goes to prove my point that any issues with EVs is jumped on by the media .. fires for example .. they are far less likely to catch fire.. yes when they do they burn worse but ice cars have more fires it's a fact. Barely makes the news if it's an ice car

One of my colleagues is a massive petrol head and used to be an engineer so understands a lot more than most petrol heads. Even he admits EVs are far safer fire wise considering ice cars revolve around a series of small combustions to move.

Had one the other day some moron threw a bag with a lite paper and we believe lighter fluid on a train .. made a right mess (pictures available on social media) yet first calls were "bet it's an e scooter or a vape"