The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t remember the last car I had I couldn’t exceed the brochure stated consumption figures, but then that’s driving VW/Skoda diesel or Mazda petrol.
🤔

This the same sums as the van that does the exact same mpg in summer as it does winter?

I have a key stage 1 maths book my daughter grow out of if it will help with your sums in future...

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So Mrs sold her Diesel X5 on Saturday and will be moving to an electric company car from tomorrow. She'll get a Tesla 3 initially until her Merc EQB turns up whenever it is ready. I will upgrade from a 3 series touring to a diesel X3 so if we need to do longer journeys we don't have to worry about finding charge points etc. We thought this was the best way of transitioning over to both cars being electric eventually but at least we get to "check" out the everyday usage of an electric car on her company's expense! We still need to get a charging point at the house but at least the Mrs works only 5 mins away and can charge at her place of work for a small fee.

I love new technology and quite interested in the new electric car - be like a kid in a sweet shop for the first few times driving, however, still got hang-ups about range/charging while out etc. I'll try and be as open minded as possible and like I said to the Mrs; we'll have to get on with it eventually as that's the way the car industry is going! Glad she is making the plunge first though :p

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It always amazes me when someone like yourself gives an honest critique.
That it is questioned.
EVs have their good points but as you have highlighted long journeys are not one of them.

What annoys me is that people will remark upon the comments made whilst completely ignoring the context.

Here’s a scenario, a perfectly realistic one, to illustrate my point. Had the i3 I drove yesterday been my first job of the morning it would have been sitting on my driveway the night before teasing me with its 100% charged range of 170 miles. I think I am well within my rights to expect that, if driven carefully, I can drive it 120 miles without a stop, so on that basis I contact the receiving customer with an ETA.

Not only that, but having factored in public transport between jobs, if needed, I also contact customers I am due to deal with later in the day to arrange collection and delivery schedules.

Alas, because the i3 won’t do anywhere near what I can rightly expect, I have to stop to charge it. It takes me time to find a vacant and serviceable charging point and charge the vehicle, all of which adds an hour to the job, totally unexpectedly. I miss the delivery time, irritate the customer and, much to my dismay, miss my bus and have to wait an hour for the next one. I think you can see where this is going - there is the clear potential for the rest of my day to unravel and, given the nature of vehicle movement logistics, very possibly my next day as well.

It is within that context that I make my observation, and yet other contributors, notably Bob, are very quick to slap me down. He did the same a year or so ago when I bemoaned the fact that I had to stop twice when driving an e-Golf from Bristol to Nottingham, turning a 3 1/2 hour journey into one over 5. I was effectively told I was foolish for trying to drive a car designed for local trips that sort of distance. Well, I didn’t really have a choice!

On that occasion I planned my two stops using one of the apps. The first “public” charging point turned out to be behind a barrier at a police station. I turned my attention to the next, a BP charging station. That turned out to be in a car park at a shopping centre, and had I tried to use it I have little doubt someone would have left their EV charging whilst they went to do their shopping, leaving me to pay a car park charge for the privilege of driving straight in and out again. So I moved on to the third location, whilst all the time my available range was disappearing faster than half a dozen Pro V1’s out of my bag on a bad day.

So. From the perspective of a person who has to collect and deliver EV’s regularly, it can perhaps be seen why I despise the things. I accept the unexpected - delays due to road closures, buses not running to schedule and so on - but the issue with EV charging logistics, especially in unfamiliar locations, is something which can completely compromise my working day, and frequently does.

And whilst I accept that owning one is a different kettle of fish, my experience of driving them all over the country in frequently new surroundings is such that I will not be buying one any time soon. Finding a petrol station is easy, pretty much anywhere. Finding an available and serviceable EV charging point not so much, and until that changes it’s an ICE for me.

Sorry, EV lovers. But no amount of your “don’t be so ridiculous” shenanigans will make me change my mind.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This the same sums as the van that does the exact same mpg in summer as it does winter?

I have a key stage 1 maths book my daughter grow out of if it will help with your sums in future...
So because someone does follow your narrative you dismiss what’s said as lies and misinformation and resort to insults?
At least there’s no hypocrisy from me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
03 Skoda Superb, with the gorgeous pd engine…. Regularly got 50 mpg and on a long run 65 to 70.
Blimey, that's good going. I averaged 50-52 on normal days, 56-58 on long runs. Mine was a 2017 model.

What made the difference? Would it be catalytic convertors or other devices to reduce CO2? I'm not mechanical so don't know the difference between that engine and the one it evolved into.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blimey, that's good going. I averaged 50-52 on normal days, 56-58 on long runs. Mine was a 2017 model.

What made the difference? Would it be catalytic convertors or other devices to reduce CO2? I'm not mechanical so don't know the difference between that engine and the one it evolved into.
Don’t know what was is your 07, but mine had the 1.9 pd130 engine, not common rail. They had unit injectors rather than common rail but VW couldn’t get the emissions down to the required level with the injectors so had to follow the heard with common rail instead.
The low down Torque was fantastic, but there was a little more thrum than the common rail in my recent vans(dont tell you know who).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t know what was is your 07, but mine had the 1.9 pd130 engine, not common rail. They had unit injectors rather than common rail but VW couldn’t get the emissions down to the required level with the injectors so had to follow the heard with common rail instead.
The low down Torque was fantastic, but there was a little more thrum than the common rail in my recent vans(dont tell you know who).
Mine would have been the common rail one, 2.0d, 148bhp. Still an excellent engine for power and economy, just not quite as good as the previous one that you had. Progress..........

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
What annoys me is that people will remark upon the comments made whilst completely ignoring the context.

Here’s a scenario, a perfectly realistic one, to illustrate my point. Had the i3 I drove yesterday been my first job of the morning it would have been sitting on my driveway the night before teasing me with its 100% charged range of 170 miles. I think I am well within my rights to expect that, if driven carefully, I can drive it 120 miles without a stop, so on that basis I contact the receiving customer with an ETA.

Not only that, but having factored in public transport between jobs, if needed, I also contact customers I am due to deal with later in the day to arrange collection and delivery schedules.

Alas, because the i3 won’t do anywhere near what I can rightly expect, I have to stop to charge it. It takes me time to find a vacant and serviceable charging point and charge the vehicle, all of which adds an hour to the job, totally unexpectedly. I miss the delivery time, irritate the customer and, much to my dismay, miss my bus and have to wait an hour for the next one. I think you can see where this is going - there is the clear potential for the rest of my day to unravel and, given the nature of vehicle movement logistics, very possibly my next day as well.

It is within that context that I make my observation, and yet other contributors, notably Bob, are very quick to slap me down. He did the same a year or so ago when I bemoaned the fact that I had to stop twice when driving an e-Golf from Bristol to Nottingham, turning a 3 1/2 hour journey into one over 5. I was effectively told I was foolish for trying to drive a car designed for local trips that sort of distance. Well, I didn’t really have a choice!

On that occasion I planned my two stops using one of the apps. The first “public” charging point turned out to be behind a barrier at a police station. I turned my attention to the next, a BP charging station. That turned out to be in a car park at a shopping centre, and had I tried to use it I have little doubt someone would have left their EV charging whilst they went to do their shopping, leaving me to pay a car park charge for the privilege of driving straight in and out again. So I moved on to the third location, whilst all the time my available range was disappearing faster than half a dozen Pro V1’s out of my bag on a bad day.

So. From the perspective of a person who has to collect and deliver EV’s regularly, it can perhaps be seen why I despise the things. I accept the unexpected - delays due to road closures, buses not running to schedule and so on - but the issue with EV charging logistics, especially in unfamiliar locations, is something which can completely compromise my working day, and frequently does.

And whilst I accept that owning one is a different kettle of fish, my experience of driving them all over the country in frequently new surroundings is such that I will not be buying one any time soon. Finding a petrol station is easy, pretty much anywhere. Finding an available and serviceable EV charging point not so much, and until that changes it’s an ICE for me.

Sorry, EV lovers. But no amount of your “don’t be so ridiculous” shenanigans will make me change my mind.
I have had a similar reaction when I have bemoaned lack of EV chargers. It is a very rare business trip indeed where I can find an overnight stop with a working charger nearby. And most of the IHG hotels I have stopped at either have no charger, or they don't work. I'm just glad mine is a hybrid so I can use my ICE to get home in reasonable time.
And back in July of this year I was told by Hovis that because I had a PHEV, my opinion on this thread was irrelevant (https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/would-you-buy-an-electric-car.107236/page-135#post-2521002). Funnily enough the issues I raised at the time about infrastructure are still relevant, and people still object to these being pointed out.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had a similar reaction when I have bemoaned lack of EV chargers. It is a very rare business trip indeed where I can find an overnight stop with a working charger nearby. And most of the IHG hotels I have stopped at either have no charger, or they don't work. I'm just glad mine is a hybrid so I can use my ICE to get home in reasonable time.
And back in July of this year I was told by Hovis that because I had a PHEV, my opinion on this thread was irrelevant (https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/would-you-buy-an-electric-car.107236/page-135#post-2521002). Funnily enough the issues I raised at the time about infrastructure are still relevant, and people still object to these being pointed out.

Hovis has a point tho. Your car doesn't have the fast charge connection , it has just a type 2 so you cut down the charge ability significantly.

Plus you don't have to charge as you can still run to your heart's content

So hovis has a valid point, it's like comparing apples with oranges.

So because someone does follow your narrative you dismiss what’s said as lies and misinformation and resort to insults?
At least there’s no hypocrisy from me.

No I'm just questioning your mathematics. As scientifically it's impossible for a van to do "exactly" the same mpg in summer as winter.

Yes there may be not hypocrisy but equally there is zero accuracy to your statements.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Hovis has a point tho. Your car doesn't have the fast charge connection , it has just a type 2 so you cut down the charge ability significantly.

Plus you don't have to charge as you can still run to your heart's content

So hovis has a valid point, it's like comparing apples with oranges.

No I'm just questioning your mathematics. As scientifically it's impossible for a van to do "exactly" the same mpg in summer as winter.

Yes there may be not hypocrisy but equally there is zero accuracy to your statements.
I disagree. The comments I made were about infrastructure. That point is still valid. It was valid for my colleague who has a Full EV and couldn't find anywhere near his parents house he could charge overnight so had to use a fast charge station at a cost of £60! For max 250 miles. And the idea of having a hybrid is to run in electric or hybrid mode. The lack of chargers means I cannot use it for the purpose it was intended. We spend a week on holiday in Richmond, North Yorkshire and there was NOWHERE NEARBY I could even charge my car overnight. The nearest was Catterick. If I had a full EV it would be the same issue, unless I wanted to extortionate pricing for fast charging so, NO, I don't think my opinion is irrelevant.
Unless you are such an ardent EV fan that you prefer to dismiss other people viewpoints if they don't fit in with your model.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I don't know anyone who drives every day, and even with the exact same route gets exactly (to the 1st decimal point) the same mpg any time of the year.
I get roughly the same all year around, between 29 and 35 in my van. Whether you believe that or not, it doesn't bother me.
You crack on, I'm done.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I disagree. The comments I made were about infrastructure. That point is still valid. It was valid for my colleague who has a Full EV and couldn't find anywhere near his parents house he could charge overnight so had to use a fast charge station at a cost of £60! For max 250 miles. And the idea of having a hybrid is to run in electric or hybrid mode. The lack of chargers means I cannot use it for the purpose it was intended. We spend a week on holiday in Richmond, North Yorkshire and there was NOWHERE NEARBY I could even charge my car overnight. The nearest was Catterick. If I had a full EV it would be the same issue, unless I wanted to extortionate pricing for fast charging so, NO, I don't think my opinion is irrelevant.
Unless you are such an ardent EV fan that you prefer to dismiss other people viewpoints if they don't fit in with your model.

But you fail to factor in the averages rather than the extremes

Your colleague paid £60, yet it was £20 to get there so entire journey was £80 on those sums yes? Average out the cost

Same with your hybrid, the lack of chargers is your factors, and your using just ice is your expensive charge option as it were

So going down to somewhere you have charge and return you don't, add the average cost up

Same if I for some reason had to charge outside my 4 cheap hours and say needed 5 hours at a full 7kw , the 28 kw in the 4 hours would cost £3.36, and the 7kw in my expensive hours would cost £3.15

Total cost of £6.51, average cost per kw of 19p (12p and 45p the rates)

Same with your colleague £20 there £60 back, average the journey out at £40 each way doesn't sound unreasonable

Also add the averages of his entire driving

If he just charges at home for example or anyone does then say 5 times a year did this trip , not a bad average

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't understand why people constantly complaining about EV ranges. If you know you gone be doing long journeys buy a car with a bigger battery.
Or if public infrastructure doesn't work for you and you drive more than 150 miles a day just buy tesla with it supercharger network.
Got my tesla model 3 mid December, done just under 8k miles already never had to worry about charging away from home.
At the end of the day you got what you paid for.