The all things EV chat thread

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My Missus paid the same price for a top of the range Kia Sportage automatic with 25k miles on the clock. Given that she only does a few thousand miles a year, we're happy with our choice.

Difficult comparison IMO, the type of buyer for a Model S (GT saloon/fastback type) is very different to the market buyer for a Sportage, as well as the cars themselves.

A more accurate comparison would be something like a BMW 6 series or a Merc CLS or Audi A7 type affair. And at 7 years old with around the same mileage, you won't be a kick in the arse off the same price (I did spy one 2016 640d MSport with 68k miles that was on for £18k and had "good price" against it).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Missus paid the same price for a top of the range Kia Sportage automatic with 25k miles on the clock. Given that she only does a few thousand miles a year, we're happy with our choice.

That's a bad comparison as the model s is a more of a sporty car

Now if you compare with 2 year old Kia e niro 13k miles .. 25k

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303205430931?atmobcid=soc3

Or 22k for one with 60k on clock

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303285697831?atmobcid=soc3

Both would come with plenty of warranty left (4-5 years up to 100k miles)

I mean the Sportage is cheaper yes but the price is getting closer

Personally that 13k miles one in 2 years time is the kind of example I'm after

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Again, I've been away, both on holiday and on business, and the lack of available charging points remained an issue.
We were away for a week on holiday in Richmond. The nearest public charging point was in Catterick. And as it takes 4+ hours to charge my hybrid, that was no use.
Away on business and stopped in Basingstoke. The BP charging point at the hotel wasn't working, and there was no other ones nearby.
So both (very long) trips had to be done using the Petrol ICE in the car.
My experience is that either I am very unlucky in where I travel, or there is still a lot of work to be done on the infrastructure. Still plenty of places to put petrol in though, but petrol in the South East was about 5p a litre more than in Scotland.
However, this headline doesn't bode well.
Oil prices surge after surprise move to cut output

Most hybrids only give 20-25 miles of full electric, and you can’t charge them on a rapid charger. But you have the ICE option, so where is the problem?

Does your hybrid have an e-save mode? Where the ICE motor charges the battery when driving. This could be the answer on longer journeys when you are away from home

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most hybrids only give 20-25 miles of full electric, and you can’t charge them on a rapid charger. But you have the ICE option, so where is the problem?

Does your hybrid have an e-save mode? Where the ICE motor charges the battery when driving. This could be the answer on longer journeys when you are away from home
I guess the issue is, why have a two part propulsion system if you can only use one part of it on big journeys? You are then just carrying weight all of the time, nothing more.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve just placed a lease order for a Nissan X-Trail with a 1.5 e-Power power plant, it’s down as a petrol hybrid but it’s not a plug-in type. The 1.5 3 pot petrol engine is really a generator that never powers the wheels directly, it always charges a little battery that powers a motor attached to the wheels... It has a battery only range of about 3 Km. 😆
I’m not sure of the benefit of this kind of “hybrid” but it was the same price as a pure petrol engine so I thought I would give it a try. I took one for a test drive at the local Glyn Hopkins and really liked it, nice and big and plenty of oomph so thought I would go for it. Only negative is the 6 month wait. 😕

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve just placed a lease order for a Nissan X-Trail with a 1.5 e-Power power plant, it’s down as a petrol hybrid but it’s not a plug-in type. The 1.5 3 pot petrol engine is really a generator that never powers the wheels directly, it always charges a little battery that powers a motor attached to the wheels... It has a battery only range of about 3 Km. 😆
I’m not sure of the benefit of this kind of “hybrid” but it was the same price as a pure petrol engine so I thought I would give it a try. I took one for a test drive at the local Glyn Hopkins and really liked it, nice and big and plenty of oomph so thought I would go for it. Only negative is the 6 month wait. 😕

It pushes your mpg right up

I had a Toyota auris hybrid , parents have two ATM one in estate , you get 55-70 mpg rather than 40-50

If the car companies had embraced them sooner as the standard then it wouldn't have to be as drastic a change now

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
It pushes your mpg right up

I had a Toyota auris hybrid , parents have two ATM one in estate , you get 55-70 mpg rather than 40-50

If the car companies had embraced them sooner as the standard then it wouldn't have to be as drastic a change now

Happy days, a lot of journeys that I do are short (with a few monsters per year) so I’m looking forward to it… tbh I’m a bit fed up with the XC40 I’ve got, after pranging it on Boxing Day it’s been a nightmare with the repair shop… it’s going back for a 3rd time after Easter!🙄
Now since it’s not been used much for nearly 3 months I’ve got a warning that the support battery needs servicing/changing, so that’s another £220!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Lord Tyrion pretty much summed it up. I can do all the above but that's not the point. 25-30 miles on battery only but running in hybrid mode improves my ICE economy and I can run the car on better MPG and still have battery even after 100 miles. I can utilise that benefit on the way out, but can't on the was home as I can charge my car.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lord Tyrion pretty much summed it up. I can do all the above but that's not the point. 25-30 miles on battery only but running in hybrid mode improves my ICE economy and I can run the car on better MPG and still have battery even after 100 miles. I can utilise that benefit on the way out, but can't on the was home as I can charge my car.

However if you can't find a charger you surely run on average of the entire journey

Like when EVs are said oh it costs X amount to rapid charge now

But factor in the cheap home charge for the way out means the average cost for the entire journey is lower

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I guess the issue is, why have a two part propulsion system if you can only use one part of it on big journeys? You are then just carrying weight all of the time, nothing more.

I can’t specify what happens with each model but the 2 hybrids I’ve had have used a proportion of each motor depending on load/speed. Both start off on 100% electric. As the load increases you might find you’re on a 50/50 mix. As you get around 60mph you might be on 100% petrol, and as the load increases further the electric motor tops up the petrol engine for power. Full on motorway work sees it get through what a petrol car gets through, the bonus being none of us do 100% motorway driving, the majority being urban driving.

I don’t do huge mileages nowadays, and rarely on motorways. A full tank of fuel lasts me around 10-12 weeks.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Test drove a Tesla 3 RWD today. Tuesday cancelling the Born and ordering that instead.
Fantastic test drive experience if you have a spare 45 mins. I was on the way back from Meadowhall so arranged one.
Sat in one to familiarise my self with the controls or lack of. Given a key and told to come back in 45 minutes. All very friendly and easy.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Test drove a Tesla 3 RWD today. Tuesday cancelling the Born and ordering that instead.
Fantastic test drive experience if you have a spare 45 mins. I was on the way back from Meadowhall so arranged one.
Sat in one to familiarise my self with the controls or lack of. Given a key and told to come back in 45 minutes. All very friendly and easy.

How's the insurance? They wanted £1500 from me but £600 for other cars so ruling them out ATM

Lovely car tho

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
How's the insurance? They wanted £1500 from me but £600 for other cars so ruling them out ATM

Lovely car tho
Wouldn’t know, it’s included with the salary sacrifice. But the Tesla is £100ish more a month despite the list price of the born being more so that will be just to cover the insurance.

A go compare quote would cost me £1180

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn’t know, it’s included with the salary sacrifice. But the Tesla is £100ish more a month despite the list price of the born being more so that will be just to cover the insurance.

A go compare quote would cost me £1180

Fair enough , very very nice car and gives you great access to their network

Well worth it

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Had the “pleasure” of moving a BMW i3 today. Eighteen months old. The vendor fully charged it, and it was showing a range of 171 miles when I set off on a journey of 109. I had it in eco mode, and pretty much all the auxiliaries were turned off as I drove up the M40 like Miss Daisy. I barely got over 60mph, slipstreamed lorries at every opportunity, and spent more time looking at my energy consumption than I did the road ahead.

All this, and despite having a leeway of 62 miles I made it to my destination with a range of 6 miles to spare. So, despite being as frugal in my use of the battery as I possibly could, a journey of 109 miles used 165 miles of charge.

Sorry, but I thought driving was supposed to be fun. That was about as much fun as playing golf in white trousers whilst suffering with prolapsed haemorrhoids.

IJames

Visit site
Had the “pleasure” of moving a BMW i3 today. Eighteen months old. The vendor fully charged it, and it was showing a range of 171 miles when I set off on a journey of 109. I had it in eco mode, and pretty much all the auxiliaries were turned off as I drove up the M40 like Miss Daisy. I barely got over 60mph, slipstreamed lorries at every opportunity, and spent more time looking at my energy consumption than I did the road ahead.

All this, and despite having a leeway of 62 miles I made it to my destination with a range of 6 miles to spare. So, despite being as frugal in my use of the battery as I possibly could, a journey of 109 miles used 165 miles of charge.

Sorry, but I thought driving was supposed to be fun. That was about as much fun as playing golf in white trousers whilst suffering with prolapsed haemorrhoids.
I'm sure it's something you'd get used to! Having found its limits, you'd probably plan for a break and top-up somewhere at around 70 miles!