The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, if I've read that's correctly? You buy an electric car that produces zero carbon emissions and pay £165 road tax. Or you have a relatively modern diesel and pay £30? Good incentive for folk. With the uncertainty of electric prices I feel they might struggle to get the masses to convert

thats how I read it.. however its always CURRENT rates.. whats the betting they rise?

at present my next EV would £10 more tax than the big car aha

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
thats how I read it.. however its always CURRENT rates.. whats the betting they rise?

at present my next EV would £10 more tax than the big car aha
I know. It just doesn't make sense. Surely if they are taxing ev's at that rate it means emissions is no longer a requirement for cheap tax. But a diesel driver gets an incentive ?‍♂️.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know. It just doesn't make sense. Surely if they are taxing ev's at that rate it means emissions is no longer a requirement for cheap tax. But a diesel driver gets an incentive ?‍♂️.

Let's be honest without going down the banned subject this lot won't be in power by 2025, the world could be different finances wise so all these moves can be adjusted by other powers down the line

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Emissions cannot be the controlling aspect now, and there isn't really any incentive to run an older diesel even if it rated at £30, simply because the drive for ULEZ zones makes them uneconomical to own and run.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Emissions cannot be the controlling aspect now, and there isn't really any incentive to run an older diesel even if it rated at £30, simply because the drive for ULEZ zones makes them uneconomical to own and run.
I agree. That's why it's weird that the low tax for diesel cars for example isn't being hiked up too

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree. That's why it's weird that the low tax for diesel cars for example isn't being hiked up too
It's just for older ones though, the lower tax. I had a 9yr old diesel, £30 tax. Just replaced it with a 6yr old diesel, lower emissions, £135 tax. Something to do with a cut off of when emissions became a factor. If it wasn't an issue then, should you be penalised now? I'm not saying I agree, I don't, but I think that is why.

Tax used to be fairly universal, then it became emissions based. I guess it's going back towards universality again, although likely graded still. Not a bad thing imo.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's just for older ones though, the lower tax. I had a 9yr old diesel, £30 tax. Just replaced it with a 6yr old diesel, lower emissions, £135 tax.

You sure it's not £165.00 rather than £135.00.
Came in from 1st April 2017.
All new cars went up to £165.00 apart from the zero emission jobbies, or ones that were massively high anyway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You sure it's not £165.00 rather than £135.00.
Came in from 1st April 2017.
All new cars went up to £165.00 apart from the zero emission jobbies, or ones that were massively high anyway.
I've just double checked, I assumed you were right, but it was 135. It's a 2016 Mazda 6 diesel tourer, auto. I paid it at the end of this October via the dvla website ?‍♂️. I'll keep quiet about it in case it slipped through the net ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just double checked, I assumed you were right, but it was 135. It's a 2016 Mazda 6 diesel tourer, auto. I paid it at the end of this October via the dvla website ?‍♂️. I'll keep quiet about it in case it slipped through the net ?

2016 is the key no? 2017 these new rules came in

My diesel is £155 the Alhambra, if it was slightly newer would have been 165

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice trip hazard…
View attachment 45114

Was parked there all day and I saw people walking over the cable constantly.
I see this and think that some wise ass will walk by and unplug it because they think it’s funny. Driver returns with somewhere important to go and the batteries do not have enough charge to get there. Or, thieves will be nicking the cables to sell on for scrap.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see this and think that some wise ass will walk by and unplug it because they think it’s funny. Driver returns with somewhere important to go and the batteries do not have enough charge to get there. Or, thieves will be nicking the cables to sell on for scrap.

The cable locks in both ends whilst charging

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m often bemused at the importance people put on RFL. In the grand scheme of the running cost of a car it’s tiny.

The break even point aswell for various things .. ie some use for petrol Vs diesel .. electric Vs petrol

Return on investment in solar

No1 ever asks oh that new kitchen when will you break even

How many people just change cars because? Could keep a lot longer .. I just go EV for the fact I wanted to lower my footprint and tbh I want to stick with it now because I prefer the driving experience

Whenever I return to the diesel I miss the instant power and the smooth ride

Plus having to leave my driveway to fill up? Sod that lol ?

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Because some people get enjoyment from their kitchen and feel it improves their quality of life and are happy to pay for that. I doubt many would choose to pay to have solar panels fitted unless there was a financial benefit, for most the only reason is to save money and folk rightly want to know how long it will take to get their investment back to see if it is worth it for their own situation. The rising prices have obviously helped greatly those who chose to fit them and reduce the payback time.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because some people get enjoyment from their kitchen and feel it improves their quality of life and are happy to pay for that. I doubt many would choose to pay to have solar panels fitted unless there was a financial benefit, for most the only reason is to save money and folk rightly want to know how long it will take to get their investment back to see if it is worth it for their own situation. The rising prices have obviously helped greatly those who chose to fit them and reduce the payback time.

but back to the car situation tho.. if somebody had 60k to spend on a car and pick a tesla over a BMW for example.. why is it always about payback .. might actually prefer driving it.

hell if I had 60k id love to get a model 3 or Y.. beautiful cars in person

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I sold my BMW for a Tesla 3 Performance mainly for financial reasons but have been very happy with it, so much so I'm now on my second one. Wouldn't like to have to go back to an ICE car now.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I sold my BMW for a Tesla 3 Performance mainly for financial reasons but have been very happy with it, so much so I'm now on my second one. Wouldn't like to have to go back to an ICE car now.
Me too. When I drive my other car (diesel fiesta) I hate how it drives in comparison

D

Deleted member 23270

Me too. When I drive my other car (diesel fiesta) I hate how it drives in comparison
I've been in a few EVs and whilst they are/can be cheaper and greener I find them completely uninspiring to drive. Give me my straight 6 400hp BMW any day.