The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 45288

From the link Bob posted, apparently ICE vehicles only suffer a 12% loss which is mainly in the 1st few miles of travel, not 20 - 25% overall for EV's. As you say, your range in your ICE may reduce from 600 - 500 miles (really!). Topping up isn't an inconvenience. To quote @OnTour "...mileage has been hit already 200 to 165 from the 50kw pack. glad I did my road trip the week before or an extra 2 charges would have been needed".

The more I read this thread, the more I'm inclined to stick with my oil burner for quite a while. ;)

If he is going by the display (rather than miles driven) it's hard to judge without actually driving because the computers have been proven to be so rubbish in the main, only when people get used to what their car does they then are like ah this % will get me about this much

I mean there have been times I've left for work with 50 miles left , done the 50 mile round trip (knowing I'll get there and back) and still had enough to do the trip again.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's worth noting that it isn't the efficienty that's cusing the drop his battery range. The cold just reduces how much electricity the battery can hold

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeh it's the long range one. I have to admit it's an amazing car. Fully loaded and great to drive. We should have had a Mercedes e class amg but my wife went for the kona because of the tax. I had a face on me like a smacked arse until I drove it.

Boot space is poor. That's my only gripe

That was the car I wanted , it was on one of them lease hot deals think was 299 pm with 3 months down for 3-4 years depending what you wanted ... I was well up for it but ofc they sold out and I went for the Corsa on a hot deal for 273 pm , same the rest

I mean I could have got a Kona but the price to get them out the deal had gone to £450 think , just thought for a work commuting car as the kids can't fit regardless ATM wasn't worth the extra . Next time tho

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, try this...
''Fuel economy tests show that, in city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is roughly 15% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 24% for short (3- to 4-mile) trips.''

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/fuel-economy-cold-weather
My van isn't "gasoline", and I keep a check on my van mpg all the time, and it runs between 30 and 35 mpg all year round, air con on or not.:)

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok, try this...
''Fuel economy tests show that, in city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is roughly 15% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 24% for short (3- to 4-mile) trips.''

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/fuel-economy-cold-weather
To be fair Bob, It's been many a year down here in the sunny south of the UK when the temp has been 20*F for any period of time. Maybe 1947, 1963 and 1982 for a day or two. And, as you point out, for short trips. Once warmed up, range reduction isn't really an issue.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unwelcome drop in temperature and mileage has been hit already 200 to 165 from the 50kw pack. glad I did my road trip the week before or an extra 2 charges would have been needed. 10° and above they work (y)

To be fair it's the same with ice cars , drop in range etc in the cold it's just they can carry so much more fuel it isn't as noticeable

No it isn't.
I don't lose almost 20% of my vehicle's range when the weather gets cold, nothing like it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No it isn't.
I don't lose almost 20% of my vehicle's range when the weather gets cold, nothing like it.

Ok but I never said ice was exactly the same I said it's the same in Ice that there is a drop off

Apologises for not being 100% crystal clear

However Ice still is scientifically worse in the winter than summer

Jason.H

Visit site
Considering an EV for work. I’ve loved my VW Kombi Transporter but I no longer need so much space and i,d like the heater to work from the off rather than just as I’m getting to work ?. However financially it makes no sense whatsoever.
Work is around 12 miles away. Is it worth changing? Do I commit to a 40/50k investment are questions I’m asking myself.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Considering an EV for work. I’ve loved my VW Kombi Transporter but I no longer need so much space and i,d like the heater to work from the off rather than just as I’m getting to work ?. However financially it makes no sense whatsoever.
Work is around 12 miles away. Is it worth changing? Do I commit to a 40/50k investment are questions I’m asking myself.

Do you leave for work similar time every day?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes why do you ask?

Screenshot_20221121-190140.png

You can set preconditions in the car / app, so when I leave for work / home etc (also can press to start it from the app aswell , I start on 18th tee if leaving straight after)

So when you get in car is beautiful, (also battery gets to optimum temp in most cars doing this so more efficient)

Plus no deicing in winter

My mate loves when I pick him up in winter he always goes oh lovely pre conditioned car rather than having to wait for it to warm up

Again not saying ice are bad .. it's just a nice little bonus of EV

Jason.H

Visit site
View attachment 45289

You can set preconditions in the car / app, so when I leave for work / home etc (also can press to start it from the app aswell , I start on 18th tee if leaving straight after)

So when you get in car is beautiful, (also battery gets to optimum temp in most cars doing this so more efficient)

Plus no deicing in winter

My mate loves when I pick him up in winter he always goes oh lovely pre conditioned car rather than having to wait for it to warm up

Again not saying ice are bad .. it's just a nice little bonus of EV

Which car do you have?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why does it have to be 40/50k? A used Nissan leaf would achieve that. In fact a plug in hybrid would manage that too

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which car do you have?

Just a Corsa e. Nothing fancy but love the EV side of it .. not so much the Corsa side of it

Think now pretty much all of them have preconditioning, it's standard feature now

40-50k have you looked at the MG ones? They have a shape to suit most , 7 year warranty, 250 mile range on the long rangers and under 35k

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok but I never said ice was exactly the same I said it's the same in Ice that there is a drop off

Apologises for not being 100% crystal clear

However Ice still is scientifically worse in the winter than summer

Worse, without question, but only marginally in my experience.
I'm talking less than 5% in the case of my car.