The all things EV chat thread

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just moved away from Agile, the prices have been a bit crazy lately, many hours at 35p kw/h. When we joined it was really cheap especially at the March lockdown time but has got increasingly expensive since then, we were paying more than a standard tariff at the end. Moved to Go Faster which will be less stressful as it hardly ever goes under 5p lately and it's just a normal price at other times. You have to take the good with the bad with Agile, there was several times we were paid to charge the car, sometimes paying us over 25p kw/h.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just moved away from Agile, the prices have been a bit crazy lately, many hours at 35p kw/h. When we joined it was really cheap especially at the March lockdown time but has got increasingly expensive since then, we were paying more than a standard tariff at the end. Moved to Go Faster which will be less stressful as it hardly ever goes under 5p lately and it's just a normal price at other times. You have to take the good with the bad with Agile, there was several times we were paid to charge the car, sometimes paying us over 25p kw/h.

Yeah i went straight onto go. That chart only mentions agile as the best app to compare is a development app that simply compares your daily use between go and agile saying which one was cheaper

Go is cheaper by a way, even before the car arrived I was saving most the time due to our usage of washing machine

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am I write in reading 95% charge and 130 mile range? Is that the range you expected?

Please keep posting, let us know the real range, not just theoretical. Like with petrol / diesel cars it's interesting to know the real world figures, not the fantasy ones.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am I write in reading 95% charge and 130 mile range? Is that the range you expected?

Please keep posting, let us know the real range, not just theoretical. Like with petrol / diesel cars it's interesting to know the real world figures, not the fantasy ones.

It's out ATM, I'd expect at least 150 in winter

It was driven 162 from Kidderminster to me the other day then topped up to half charge by the guy

The range prediction is poor, I'll admit it just doesn't update for ages , much like the one in my old car , I knew I could get 350-400 miles from tank but predicted better or worse at random

He said it started off at 130 miles and he drove 50 miles then still was 130 miles

It goes on driving style, temp outside etc

Ill see what % I have left after 2 trips to work without charging

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was proper stitched up yesterday (New Years eve)

Was tasked with taking an electric Vehicle from a dealership to a auction prep centre, only 23 miles, but the car was given to me with only 9 miles range, and no rapid chargers on site.

Great Thanks guys

Anyway a quick search of the BP Chargemaster app revealed a rapid charger a short distance away at a Toby Carvery, great I thought, went there, car park closed off, no entry to the charger area.

The app revealed another one at a Holiday inn a couple of miles away. got there with 5 miles left thinking if this one wasnt available then I’d have to take it back to base.Fortunately it was ok and a 25 minute charge got me a 40 mile range.

However because the charge was still low, the car wouldn’t come out of full eco mode, so no heating and was freezing my nuts off when I got to Slough.

If dealerships want their E vehicles moved, they need to check the previous day that there is enough charge in them

new working protocols being suggested to my boss. ?
How does the heater work, some kind of electric fan heater I imagine. In cold weather, how much energy does this heater take out of the battery?

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are 3 main reasons for poor range in winter, 1. battery efficiency is poorer in low temperatures 2. road and weather conditions cause more resistance and 3. heating!!. I doubt the Corsa will have a heat pump? My Tesla 3 Performance uses around 285 watts/mile in the summer and 335 watts/mile in the winter, so around 310 watts/mile year average (pre heat pump model). Short journeys are the killer in winter, but this can be said for combustion cars too, they also give less MPG in the winter but due to the greater range it's not so noticeable. I believe the Tesla 3 fan heater can use up to 7Kw/h on max heating! The 2021 model with the heat pump is much more efficient. If driving solo it's more efficient to use the heated seat and keep the temperature as low as you're comfortable with, but you don't spend a lot of money on a new car to freeze and electricity is very cheap if home charging so no need to worry about it unless you're desperate for the range.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are 3 main reasons for poor range in winter, 1. battery efficiency is poorer in low temperatures 2. road and weather conditions cause more resistance and 3. heating!!. I doubt the Corsa will have a heat pump? My Tesla 3 Performance uses around 285 watts/mile in the summer and 335 watts/mile in the winter, so around 310 watts/mile year average (pre heat pump model). Short journeys are the killer in winter, but this can be said for combustion cars too, they also give less MPG in the winter but due to the greater range it's not so noticeable. I believe the Tesla 3 fan heater can use up to 7Kw/h on max heating! The 2021 model with the heat pump is much more efficient. If driving solo it's more efficient to use the heated seat and keep the temperature as low as you're comfortable with, but you don't spend a lot of money on a new car to freeze and electricity is very cheap if home charging so no need to worry about it unless you're desperate for the range.

When I ordered it I was told heated steering wheel . Couldn't for the life figure what the point was

Apparently like you say use heated seats but also use that steering wheel and then use the air con on a much lower temperature

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I found this about the Corsa

Furthermore, instead of a conventional HVAC (heating ventilation air conditioning) system, the Corsa-e uses a heat pump to warm and cool the interior, delivering even more efficiency.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
It's out ATM, I'd expect at least 150 in winter

It was driven 162 from Kidderminster to me the other day then topped up to half charge by the guy

The range prediction is poor, I'll admit it just doesn't update for ages , much like the one in my old car , I knew I could get 350-400 miles from tank but predicted better or worse at random

He said it started off at 130 miles and he drove 50 miles then still was 130 miles

It goes on driving style, temp outside etc

Ill see what % I have left after 2 trips to work without charging

184A616F-AC50-4892-A4FB-09E09500A3A2.png

150miles certainly achievable. The two trips consumption averaged at 158miles range today. The trip back consumption equates to 167 miles.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 34668

150miles certainly achievable. The two trips consumption averaged at 158miles range today. The trip back consumption equates to 167 miles.

Nice , yeah I'm taking it out tomorrow for a short trip but then Monday Tuesday I'm going to try and do without charging

Pre conditioning have you found you can plug in (deferring charge to a time past when you would be leaving) then it takes from the house not the battery? Just wondering as I've seen conflicting information as to how it powers it

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice , yeah I'm taking it out tomorrow for a short trip but then Monday Tuesday I'm going to try and do without charging

Pre conditioning have you found you can plug in (deferring charge to a time past when you would be leaving) then it takes from the house not the battery? Just wondering as I've seen conflicting information as to how it powers it

D6F40531-BD3C-4708-8D36-3E0B4292BBCC.png622805A8-9402-4FEF-B2EC-AE132D3ED35A.jpeg

There the only two charges I’ve got with pre conditioning while charging. The first one being a deferred charge. The other not.
There’s evidence that it does but would have to pre con in the middle of a charge rather than the end to see properly.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 34669View attachment 34670

There the only two charges I’ve got with pre conditioning while charging. The first one being a deferred charge. The other not.
There’s evidence that it does but would have to pre con in the middle of a charge rather than the end to see properly.

Ive got it set for 5am Monday (do you do the preconditioning time for the time it needs to be starting or time you want to leave?)

And then I'm deffering charge to 6am so it doesn't come on at all. Should have about 90% battery

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just had a guy in an electric Mini trying to burn me off at a couple of sets of lights ?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Ive got it set for 5am Monday (do you do the preconditioning time for the time it needs to be starting or time you want to leave?)

And then I'm deffering charge to 6am so it doesn't come on at all. Should have about 90% battery

I set it for the time I want to leave as it starts trickling heat about 45 mins before.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I set it for the time I want to leave as it starts trickling heat about 45 mins before.

Ta very much

Ill set mine for 5:15 then

I did in end find the answer in writing by looking at the 208 manual .. it's not in the Corsa manual for some reason! Same car lol

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I found this about the Corsa

Furthermore, instead of a conventional HVAC (heating ventilation air conditioning) system, the Corsa-e uses a heat pump to warm and cool the interior, delivering even more efficiency.

Good stuff that will help the range in the winter, I've not looked into the Corsa much but a heat pump is a £1250 option on all VW ID3's even the top of the range one so it's good they've fitted one as standard in the Corsa.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good stuff that will help the range in the winter, I've not looked into the Corsa much but a heat pump is a £1250 option on all VW ID3's even the top of the range one so it's good they've fitted one as standard in the Corsa.

That seems to always be the way the cheaper brands fully kit out their cars for similar price to base model vw

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Done a few trips to work now

80p to get in when using cheap electric even in the icey morning

£2.30 if nights due to expensive electric

£7 In normal car

That will do for now

Make hay whilst sun shines